Floor delamination

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a small patch of floor delamination between my bed boxes as my van is now out of warranty (98 model) which I bought from new. Do you suggest I leave it as it is (will it get worse ?)or rectify using the Apollo glue solution ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you are going to repair the floor do the whole walk area as the delamination will spread over time, if you want to know how to do it leave a post and i will get back to you. stuart

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve, Done several delam jobs with materials from www.thegluecompany.co.uk this particular method is applied from under the floor so you don't have to disturb the floor covering or furniture, just this week successfully done a complete floor in a Elldis,like i said the kit is available from the above company. Good Luck.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve, Done several delam jobs with materials from www.thegluecompany.co.uk this particular method is applied from under the floor so you don't have to disturb the floor covering or furniture, just this week successfully done a complete floor in a Elldis,like i said the kit is available from the above company. Good Luck.
hi see,www.ukcampsite.co.uk caravans forum for a full post on this.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Metz,

I have been looking into doing my floor, and I am very interested in your technique of attacking from underneath the floor could you possibly supply a few more details...Thanks James

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Metz, Interested in the method you describe for treating delamination but I can't get any response to the website address you give for the glue company. Can you help?

Henry

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
There is now a floor de-lamination repair guide at http://www.caravansource.co.uk

There are many different ways of dealing with it, at the moment the site only deals with one method, works well though.

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

My Swift Corniche also has a 1 meter patch of floor which has delaminated, the question is how much resin will I need?

It seems easy enough to do so as we decided to change the carpet we figured it would be a good time to do it.

I am ready to do the work as the carpet is now out but as I said before whats the coverage?

Cheers Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Glue Co were excellent - but I was disapointed that the kit for the thixoptropic method (where you inject from underneath rather than having to pull out all of the caravan carpets and interior) was so expensive.

So have gone back to looking at removing the carpet and "going in from above". I think they quoted about

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Clive, yes it is "how long is a piece of string"question but I'll try to give you some indication, the Elldiss I did a couple of week's ago was about 15ft internal, the delam was only between the seating kitchen and bathroom,ie the central corridor,the front end was'nt quite as bad as the central and rear area's,I used 2 full packs of the adhesive,of course the delam dos'nt cover the whole area rather it tend's to be in patches, when injecting you can feel the adhesive entering the void, when you feel resistance the delam either has'nt occured in that area or is'nt as bad. I realise the kits are quite pricey from the glue co but when you take into account the fact you don't have to lay out for new floor covering or someone to fit it works out about the same price. In my case once I'd bought the injection gun all I have to buy now is the adhesive and plug's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Metz- Are you talking about the thixoptropic kit - where you inject from underneath?

I havn't checked out the cost of new carpet etc if I go "in from above" - but am hoping your experience with the thixotropic kit is good as it would certainly save an awful lot of time and faffing about!

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I got a e-mail back from Apollo Chemicals today, I had asked them about coverage and this is there reply:-

The product covers 4 meters squared per litre at 1/4mm thick. However, the thickness that is required is unknown. Usually, 1 square meter coverage is achieved out of a kit, so one kit should just suit your needs.

The code for this kit is A8136 and it cast between

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim67 - I was told that it was not a good idea to do a bit of floor let it set then do some more - so I assumed that doing the whole floor would be more sensible.

Any one any thoughts - suggestions on this?

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Clive

We had a small area of delamination,less than 1sqm,earlier this year

On asking about whether to reappear just the problem bit or the whole floor we were told that you could only repair those areas that had actually delaminated

Exact words,if the floor has not come apart how can the glue go between the layers if they are already still stuck together

Gill

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Thats right Gill you only have to do the area which has delaminated, if you tried to inject the resin into an area of the floor which was ok it wouldnt go anywhere as the layers are still intacked.

So to put it in a nut shell, check your floor for spring and then only drill and fill that area.

Cheers Jim.

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Thats right Gill you only have to do the area which has delaminated, if you tried to inject the resin into an area of the floor which was ok it wouldnt go anywhere as the layers are still intacked.

So to put it in a nut shell, check your floor for spring and then only drill and fill that area.

Cheers Jim.
P.S do the whole affected area in one go.

Jim.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Yes Clive, it is the thixotropic kit, I've got to say I do use this stuff in my work so the outlay for the whole kit is justified!!!!!!!!!

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

As you know I was undertaking a repair on a delam floor, the area was just under a square meter in a heavily used area of the van. I took the carpet up as we wanted to replace that anyway and drilled 10mm holes through the top layer in a matrix of about 15cms apart. Ok now for the messy bit, mix the 2 pack and then inject into the first hole until it comes out of the next hole then move on until the area is covered. You will get it seeping out of the holes and there are two ways to deal with this, 1) plug the holes as you go along 2) spread the excess over the top of the floor as it sets hard when cured. Now it is a bit messy but its a simple enough job to do with great results at a fraction of the cost compared to a repair shop.

It cost me

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone explain to me how to use the glue from the underside of the van, and what glue is best to use and what else do I need, plugs tools etc and the best place to get them. Thanks

Mark

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone explain to me how to use the glue from the underside of the van, and what glue is best to use and what else do I need, plugs tools etc and the best place to get them. Thanks

Mark
Hi mark,

Sorry cant comment on the underside method, but ask yourself/wife do we need a new carpet to freshen the interior up? if you do (like I did) then go for the method that I used.

Cheers Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts