folding campers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
does anyone have any info on folding campers eg. are they warm inside when heating is on, are they easy to tow and store.we used to own a fixed bed tourer which we had to sell i would like one with a washroom/toilet thanks in advance for any help sue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had Conways for years - Campa, then Challenger, then Cruiser, then Crusader - with oven, water heater, washroom and toilet.

Advantages - roomy, easy to tow and store, fairly quick to put up. Awnings take a similar time to caravans, so there is not much difference. We saw minimal difference in fuel economy when towing.

Disadvantages - you feel the temperature drop the moment that the fan heater thermostat cuts out - there is no effective heat retention. We often got "cold" corners, where the heat couldn't penetrate. It was always a pain setting down when the canvas was wet - even the morning dew had to be dried out properly. It was sometimes frustrating not being able to have stuff in the fridge when towing - you could put stuff in there, but with the dark PVC cover and no air circulation inside when towing, the temperature just didn't stay down.

It looks like our disadvantages outweigh the advantages, but please don't be put off. We have a caravan now because we want one, but we had 15 very happy years - in all weathers - in trailer tents and folding campers.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi sue, I had a folding camper for 3 years, easy to store, great to tow, great to live in, did not find the cold a problem if it was cold I'd just leave the heating on constant and it was ok. Disadvantages,having to wait for a window in the weather to get it down dry was a real pain, if you're going away for the weekend you have to check the weather forcast to make sure it's not going to rain on the sunday because they are a pain to dry out and I was meticulous about folding mine away dry and I still found mildew on the canvas.If you're going away for a week or 2 you have to be flexible with the day you leave, again in case it rains. In the blurb they tell you that they take 10 minutes to put up,this is totaly misleading I found it more like 40 minutes but I'm a single parent and maybe a couple could do it quicker, I've got a caravan now but best of luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts