For Goodness Sake Slow Down!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just been on a caravan club site in North Yorkshire.

The site speed, as with all other CC sites was 5 mph.

It amazed me how many members were clearly exempt from this limit and therefore able to exceed it.

You are supposed to be on holiday, so what's the rush?

I tend to notice it more as I'm constantly keeping a watchful eye on our 8 year old as she cycles/scooters/skates etc but it really is time the CC took a harder line on this.

Some of the speeds I saw would have made it difficult to stop had a small child appeared from nowhere as they usually do!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Millerman said:
Just been on a caravan club site in North Yorkshire. The site speed, as with all other CC sites was 5 mph. It amazed me how many members were clearly exempt from this limit and therefore able to exceed it. You are supposed to be on holiday, so what's the rush?

Quite simply the rush is to get a pitch. They drive round quite slowly to start with when looking for a pitch but the rush comes on the second lap when they've decided and have to beat the outfit who was queueing behind them at reception to it :O)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As a lot of forum readers know I'm a former prototype tester and have driven Lotus, Aston Martin and Jaguar cars way beyond the regulation speed limmiter level of 155Mph for this country's construction and used build regulations.

However I always keep within the 30,20 and any caravan site speed limits. Why? Because they are there for a valid reason, children, OAP's and arthritic steveinleo's either don't realise the dangers of traffic or in my case now, can't sprint like Daley Thompson to get out of the way.

Wet grass, even from the morning dew is tantamount to a skating ring for a car with rubber tyres, even a 4X4 won't stop quickly.

For those dis-believer's amongst you, just roll a roll of black bin liners down a very gentle slope, pour just one watering can of water on it at the top, wait 2 mins and then just try to walk barefoot down the run of plastic. If you make it to the end (30Mtrs), without slipping, jaring your back orfalling over, I'll buy you a bottle of wine. More seriously though, that represents the chance of you stopping at 10Mph.

That is why 5Mph is important to observe on a caravan site and especially on grass.

Anyway, you've left the rodent race behind when on holiday and hopefully your alarm clock!

Go steady, chillout but remember to look out for all us slouth's on site.

Atb Steve L.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Can only agree with the sentiments above about people keeping to the speed limits on sites. We do most of our caravanning at dog agility shows where we pitch up on wet/sloping grassy fields almost every weekend. The worst seems to be when there's less grass & more clover - this gets really greasy when wet. The speed limit is always 5mph, but there have already been several incidents this year with drivers exceeding the limit & losing control - this in an environment which has lots of children and literally hundreds of dogs. Thankfully there has been nobody injured at any of the events we've attended, but there's been some near misses & damage to vehicles.
Jim

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
its not only speeding that annoys ,its those that drive around the wrong way , i was on a club site at Blackmore last year and the couple 2 pitches away from me took his awning down ,and 10 mins later a car with van in tow come right across where the awning was narrowly missing the couples dog wich was tethered outside the van just to reach a pitch on the other side , if the either of the couple had stepped out the van they would have run down , at another site in brean somerset a driver was delivering a box to the office , and when he left he must have been doing at least 30 mph in clear view of the office

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How do you enforce it, interesting.

an extract from a web page on AOL.
Five powerful rights you never knew you had

Gareth Rubin
Jul 3rd 2010 at 7:00AM
Filed under: Travel, Food and Drink
child-1278087523.jpg
Sometimes you have to fight for your rights, as anyone who has seen a Clint Eastwood film knows. But you probably don't even know some of the rights you have. Here are five good ones to bear in mind:

The waiter was rude? Then the meal is free

When you eat out, you are making a contract between you and the restaurant. It basically means they will serve you the meal you expect in the manner in which you expect, and it is covered by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

So if the food is cold, badly prepared, or arrives later than it is reasonable to expect, the restaurant is in breach of contract. Even if it is served in a manner you should not have to accept – by a surly waiter, for instance, that may be breach of contract (service must be provided "with reasonable care and skill"). The atmosphere in the restaurant is also covered, so if you go to a chic establishment and they are holding a noisy child's birthday party, you should not be expected to pay in full.

Your holiday home

Package holidays are services and are covered by the Trades Descriptions Act 1968. So what you are offered must be what you receive. If a hotel is advertised as half a mile from the beach, it must be. If it is described as a small family guest house in a traditional local building, it must not be a 500-room concrete monstrosity run by a faceless company. If it is listed as quiet, it cannot have a pounding disco each night. Record video and photographic evidence and demand the tour operator, not the travel agent or hotel, compensates you.

And then consider. If you are unhappy that a site rule is being flouted, then according to the article the SoGA entitles you to withhold all or part of the fees, because the environment was not what you had contracted for. It is a feature that wholly within the control of the site operator, who should police and enforce the rules of the site.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I must congratulate BAILEY for making a caravan that stands up to being over-turned! Today passed a BAILEY PEGASUS onits side on the M5. No belongings strewn about the carriageway as is usual in caravan accidents, just a nice neat , but very battered and forlorn looking 'van on its side.
Can't comment on what the cause was, but I bet the family whose 'van it is/was are now scared witless.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We re-named Mc D's as Mc Slappies. Cos you are always looking at an accident damaged burger that has been slapped in the bun and salad fired randomly all over the place.

Perhaps that was where the american term "friendly fire!" came from??!!

Atb Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts