For the Newbies,

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
The dynamic weigh bridge that i used only weighs in 20kg units, so if you are just under by 1kg it will show you to be 20kg under..... that's why i use my Reich TLC that i calibrated at the correct towball height for my truck as that is in 1kg increments ...

You will be surprised how much variation is allowed by the DVSA on various types of weigh bridges.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Steve,

The Lloyd's report found errors of up to 10% on the bathroom scales they tested.

The text from the link that I provided earlier stated that: 'Of the 100 machines tested by Lloydspharmacy, 87 were wrong'

I make that 87% of the scales tested that were wrong Prof.
The measurement of noseweight appears to me to be inexact and not worth nit-picking over, because we all have our favourite method of measuring nose weight for those who take the trouble to measure it at all.

ProfJohnL said:
.......Lifting by hand will never be accepted as a legal defence.

Neither you or I could possibly know whether or not any method, including lifting by hand, would be accepted as a legal defence Prof unless you know something that no-one else knows.
The question of caravan noseweight has never been tested in court so there is no precedent to prove one way or the other.
I'm not seriously advocating such a method when various nose weight gauges are readily available, but there is no guarantee of accuracy using any method including a Heath Robinson bathroom scale arrangement.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I started this thread about What gas was offered I didn't know it would go this way,
Well to add another bit into this, when I first started my serious caravanning, I bought a yellow and red plastic nose weight gauge, that goes between the towball and the van hitch. I could not really see the reading and found very dubious, so used Digital Bathroom scales, and was very happy. So bought the jockey wheel with built in scale, so that on every trip I knew what the nose weight would be, that is the most inacurate device I have ever used. A difference by over 10 to 15 kgs, to the scales as to where the jokey wheel is fitted to the A frame, In my opinion as an Engineer, the Reich unit ( at least for single axle) I think I will buy.
Thanks for everyones input to this thread.
Hutch. :)

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
There is no way a ministry weigh bridge could deal with a car and caravan.For a start the increments arnt fine enough.Secondly Vosa/Dvsa are not interested in public vehicles.Thirdly its questionable whether a Vosa/Dvsa tester could understand nose weight and how to measure it,if possible on a weigh bridge.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
seth1 said:
There is no way a ministry weigh bridge could deal with a car and caravan.For a start the increments arnt fine enough.Secondly Vosa/Dvsa are not interested in public vehicles.Thirdly its questionable whether a Vosa/Dvsa tester could understand nose weight and how to measure it,if possible on a weigh bridge.
According to this thread from the CC forum a serving police officer who is also a caravanner took part in Operation Velopy which involved stopping and checking some tourers on the central motorway network and it stated that some caravan axle weights were checked so there has to be measuring equipment to check the axle weights of smaller vehicles and caravans.
No mention is made of noseweight.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Exactly,no mention of nose weight,and no mention of Vosa.It would be a slim chance for Vosa to get involved and the check point would have to be very close to a Vosa check point in order to use their weighing equipment and not a private bridge.I dont think they would be to concerned about 10 or 20 kg here and there.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
seth1 said:
According to this thread from the CC forum a serving police officer who is also a caravanner took part in Operation Velopy which involved stopping and checking some tourers on the central motorway network and it stated that some caravan axle weights were checked so there has to be measuring equipment to check the axle weights of smaller vehicles and caravans.
No mention is made of noseweight.

Before I retired in 2011, we had a set of portable plates which could be used for exactly that, and provided that they are calibrated/certificated they can be used for prosecution purposes. Being involved in the preparation of the Swift caravans for the Tow Car Awards, we use a set of five portable plates at the Swift factory - one for the noseweight, and either two or four under the wheels. On that note, it can be quite surprising how much difference there is left to right on caravans!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
..........................1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

I would pay money to see you checking your noseweight Nigel ;) :lol:
.......especially if The Prof was standing over you to supervise that you were doing everything legally :whistle:

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
NigelHutson said:
..........................1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

I would pay money to see you checking your noseweight Nigel ;) :lol:
.......especially if The Prof was standing over you to supervise that you were doing everything legally :whistle:

How much Bill? :woohoo:

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I understand what your saying Nigel.But its a funny area,i understand the police would deal with a car/caravan matter,where as Vosa deal with Hgv/Lgv matters and very seldom do you come across the two groups mixing,and why would you when Vosa have as much power as the police to stop vehicles.What i find worrying is the loose use of the name Vosa on forum sites that actually equates to nothing.
But then to take another turn on the weight plates you correctly mention,i ask myself are they of any use when for a single axle vehicle they actually allow a descrepincy of +/-50kg and a two axle bogie of 100kg respectively.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I do like these threads that take precise down to the wire comments and then wildly speculate what if"" when in fact the chances of something happening are about as remote as winning the lottery on the first go.

In over 40+ years towing with a caravan and motorhome I have been stopped exactly twice, once with the M/H while towing a large boat, in 2003 by a patrol officer, who only interest was the type of licence I had, and how secure the boat was on the trailer,
and in 2010 on a VOSA stop and check day on the A74, the police were present and the HGV's and caravans were sent down different lanes, I was asked a few questions, he checked the CRIS numbers for stolen vans looked round the unit checked the lights and that was it, away in 15mins.
no weighing no looking at Vin plates, nothing. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts