Ford C-max

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've taken delivery of my 2.0 litre c-max. Been out twice with it now, and it only seems to be getting 20mpg. This seems wrong, as the computer without the van tells me it's doing 38 mpg. My previous car, a Scenic, used to tow at 28mpg. Several thoughts-

1. could there be a fault on the car?

2. Is it the way i drive it?

3. Does the engine need to bed in before I get good mileage?

Any thoughts? I'm towing a 1450 kg van with it- not a problem- in fact I struggle to keep it below 66 mph in 6th gear.

Is there a c-max forum I can post the same question on?

Ta, Norman

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scouser

We got a c-max.

We had it sent new which were 28 mouths ago. . We pull a 1300 kg caravan with owes and it pulls it very good. We had dun other a 1000 mile before we towed with owes and we too notes that the mileage did drop a lot when we tow at fist I throat it was me has I was new to caravan so I let it for 6 mouths but thing did not seem to get better so just to be on the safe side I tuck it back to get it check out. When I got it back they said there was nothing wrong with it.

I hope that helps but has you can see we are tow 150kg less than you so I do not now it has but we still find that owes miles drop a lot when tow and I see it said that the miles do drop a lot but I can thick were.

Mark

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scouser,we have a 1.8 zetec and average 20-24 mpg when towing.Our vans mtplm is 1300kg.Not great mileage but like all else about this car.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scouser

We got a c-max.

We had it sent new which were 28 mouths ago. . We pull a 1300 kg caravan with owes and it pulls it very good. We had dun other a 1000 mile before we towed with owes and we too notes that the mileage did drop a lot when we tow at fist I throat it was me has I was new to caravan so I let it for 6 mouths but thing did not seem to get better so just to be on the safe side I tuck it back to get it check out. When I got it back they said there was nothing wrong with it.

I hope that helps but has you can see we are tow 150kg less than you so I do not now it has but we still find that owes miles drop a lot when tow and I see it said that the miles do drop a lot but I can thick were.

Mark
for got to say owe c-maxs is 2 tdi zetec

Mark

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scouser

I had a C-max 2litre TDCi Ghia up to about 2 months ago. I used to get approx 31 when towing, dependent on how much motorway was involved. This was pulling a Swift Charisma at 1290 kg. The above consumption was typical on a journey from Doncaster to Cornwall. if youe C-max is a diesel, I would say that 20mpg is a bit on the low side, even though your van is heavier, unless you tend to be a bit heavy with the right tootsie.

If you C-max is a petrol, I would say 20 mpg is probably about right.

The trip computer on C-max appeared to be fairly accurate on the times that I checked it against a full to full fill up.

I hope this help you.

Alan

Oct 31, 2006
Visit site
hello i have read your comments on the c max if i may i would like to share mine with you, you probably won't believe what i am about to tell you but i assure you it is correct. i purchased a 2 litre diesel new,i used the car as normal till i had covered 500 miles, then i went to norwich from grimsby which was about 160 miles and i put a can of engine cleaner in (THIS CLEANS THE INJECTORS OUT)i travelled at 60 mph all the way there, and i got 65to the gallon, on the way back i travelled at 70 mph and i achieved 60 to the gallon, then i travelled from grimsby to alford and i achieved 33 to the gallon towing the van about 1200 to 1250, then about a month later i travelled from grimsby to lincoln with the caravan without any injector cleaner in and i achieved about 28 to the gallon. when i got to lincoln i filled up and put a can of injector cleaner in and i travelled back with out the caravan and stuck to 50 mph and i achieved 69 to the gallon then i went back to pick up the van and achieved 33 to the gallon at 50 mph. the vehicle has been for a service and everything was correct. i have talked to an expert about keeping the engine working like new and i was advised to put a can of injector cleaner in every 1000 miles which i have done since new (car is 14 months old)and at present i am achieving 48 driving around town which is good for a 2 litre engine, i think the c max is a fantastic car, i feel safe in the car but it did take a while till it was bedded in. i have been from grimsby to north yorkshire, i never went over 50 mph and i returned 30 to the gallon, it was very hilly and had to stop and start which did not help the mileage. i am a strong believer in keeping the inside of the engine in tip top condion. i hope this is of some help to you. kind regards dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
david, someone out there may correct me on the use of additives but to quote my handbook (jeep 2.8 crd) indiscriminate use of fuel system cleaning agents should be avoided. many of these materials intended for gum and varnish removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients. these can harm fuel system gaskets and diaphram materials. have you checked your handbook to see if you are ok , remember if it goes down and yours is still in the warrenty period !!!! well i think we all know that answer ? jim

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Diesel Injector Cleaners?

Most of these are based on simple aromatic hydrocarbon based solvents - Toluene or Xylene are popular with the cleaner manufacturers (cheap) - and there's an enormous mark-up on the price when you buy these in a 200 ml bottle.

These aromatic solvents have a cetane index of 0 (normal diesel has a cetane index of between 48 and 50) so adding these cleaners reduces the performance of the engine - but only by a fraction of a percent.

A new car has new injectors and won't need cleaning for many thousands of miles.

And these cleaners are expensive - it's much cheaper, more effective and you won't invalidate any warranties by filling up with a premium grade fuel with a full lubricant and cleaner additive package built into the fuel - or better yet pay the few pence extra for Shell V-Power (or Extra), BP Ultimate, or Total Excellium - these synthesised fuels have a cetane index of 55 - that's the maximum sensible limit for a diesel engine.

Why are these synthesised fuels better? - they reduce smoke by 25% to 50% - they don't have the compounds that cause injector gumming - and with Euro IV (and some Euro III) engines you should gain an extra 5% saving on fuel consumption.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts