Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 53 Reg-Advice Pleze!!!

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi...I ma looking to move over to the dark side of caravanning from camping but we only have a Focus 1.6 zetec at the minute which is fine for camping with my trailer and roofbox but would it be able to tow a 4 berth caravan??? Any advice greatly appreciated !!!! Thanks

Hi there!
Like me you have to find a caravan that suits your car. I was in the same postion about 6 months ago. As I only have a 54 plate Ford Focus C-Max 1.8 Zetec I was quite limited in what I could get, however there are caravans out there which are quite light to tow.
As your car has a kebweight around 1170kg your 85% match will only be 995kg. As with my car you have a 1200kg towing limit on the hitch so you'll be within this. When selecting your caravan you need to ensure that the Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) figure is as close as posible to your 85% figure of 995kg (Best not to exceed it though)
The only 'new' caravan that falls into this bracket is the Caravelair Antares Luxe 425. This has an MTPLM of 970kg and would give an 83% match. You are not restricted to new caravans though. You'll find that these tend to be quite heavy anyway and that the 'older' caravan can sometimes be a lot lighter.
If you were towing my 'van for instance, a 1994 Swift Rapide 440 GXL, your match would be 85.5% as its MTPLM is 1000kg. As with my car though you will find that it will come along fine on the flat, however as soon as you hit any sort of gradient you'll be giving the gearbox a lot to do!! As soon as my car is paid off i'll be getting shut and getting a nice diesel!
Sorry to drag on so long!!

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
find a caravan you are interested in & make a note of the name & weight .log into what towcar dot com & outfit match your car against the caravan,need to look for as near to 85% match.works a treat.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
yes the 'match' sites are quite good and i have used them when i got a caravan. I was worried also as my car is a 1.6 petrol A3. My match ended up an 82% so ok. It does tow ok, although needs to be worked hard on the hills so if you hate high revs (and mean 5000rpm!) then id reconsider. Then again, thats where most petrols develop most power unlke the low down grunt of deisels, which is why a deisel is the prefered choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts