Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Hatch

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I tow a 1100kg Swift challenger with mine, it's not short of power but the gear ratios aren't ideally suited to towing.

A road driving is not bad at all, very good acceleration through the gears, 4th gear all the way dropping to 3rd for some steeper climbs. Around wales/scotland/yorkshire you will need to drop to 2nd on some steep hills but theres no problem there as it is capable of 60mph in 2nd gear!

Motorway driving - The revs are so low in 5th gear at 60mph there is no pulling power there, having said that it is perfectly happy in 4th gear at 60+ mph.

So basicly good towcar, very stable, plenty of power there but you will need to make use of the gears to get to it and not be afraid to let it rev to 6500rpm at times!

That may sound scary but the 1800 Zetec engines are very strong, you may have noticed there is no red area on the rev counter, this is because it is safe to make use of the full rev range. There is a limit set at 6800rpm where the computer kicks in and prevents it going any higher. But these engines are actually capable of 7500 - 8000rpm!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I tow a 1100kg Swift challenger with mine, it's not short of power but the gear ratios aren't ideally suited to towing.

A road driving is not bad at all, very good acceleration through the gears, 4th gear all the way dropping to 3rd for some steeper climbs. Around wales/scotland/yorkshire you will need to drop to 2nd on some steep hills but theres no problem there as it is capable of 60mph in 2nd gear!

Motorway driving - The revs are so low in 5th gear at 60mph there is no pulling power there, having said that it is perfectly happy in 4th gear at 60+ mph.

So basicly good towcar, very stable, plenty of power there but you will need to make use of the gears to get to it and not be afraid to let it rev to 6500rpm at times!

That may sound scary but the 1800 Zetec engines are very strong, you may have noticed there is no red area on the rev counter, this is because it is safe to make use of the full rev range. There is a limit set at 6800rpm where the computer kicks in and prevents it going any higher. But these engines are actually capable of 7500 - 8000rpm!
whats it like on fuel while towing ?

ive just flogged my thirsty Terrano and am on the hunt for a replacement capable of pulling 1200kgs.

think a Focus may be a little too lightweight.

any other ideas on a suitable towcar , diesel preferably got a budget of

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
whats it like on fuel while towing ?

ive just flogged my thirsty Terrano and am on the hunt for a replacement capable of pulling 1200kgs.

think a Focus may be a little too lightweight.

any other ideas on a suitable towcar , diesel preferably got a budget of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts