Ford Galaxy

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, did not think for one second that you where slagging them just didnt think that sedonas where that cheap, 14 k is very cheap for such a large car. i new the engines where merc orientated and maybee they have silenced them a bit more in the last few years, i could even be just the one up the road, my dad has a brand new shogun sport that sounds like a 40 ton truck when its cold and not much better warm so no manufacturer is imune. Unfortunately due to a shortage of drivers that know the route to chester i was taken off the southport run and put on chesters for the day so could not say hi to you, the same today i think. but i am definately on southport tommorow, i will let you now when loudly. Are you still going away for new year ?, not sure how far you wish to go but we are trying a new site this year in ashbourne derbyshire called peak gateway, the site has its own club and pub and is arranging a full entertainment programe for new year. we are going two weeks tommorow for the weekend to have a look at the site, it would be round about an 80 mile drive for you.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Icemaker

No have to agree the enigne is a deisel and no mistaking that, but its not so bad inside !! Have people at work with bm's and altough not as bad you always notice that deisel rattle, absolutely FAB on fuel though !especially long distance with or without van !! Well am back at work sat,sun day, will be whizzin round town myself so will give you a wail or a yelp !!!!!!!!! as regards New year have got a long stretch off so dont mind a journey of two or three hours, wanted somewhere quite family orientated though !! Have a god day xxxx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a Galaxy and now have a Sedona.

The Galaxy was very good at towing and has a good MPG. The build qualty was a bit crap for the price and the water heater kept emmiting unburned deisel fuel. The seating inside was a little cramped too.

The Sedona is a good spacious car and a lot cheaper. The build quality is what you would expect from a 17,000 car but still as good as the 26,000 Galaxy I had.

Where the Sedona let me down a little was driving to Spain (solo), the engine purred up to 85 mph but didn't sound too happy any faster. I think it's a gear missing.

The sedona comes into its own for passenger comfort, loads of space, each person has there own light and air con outlet as well as a heater outlet. The free roof mounted DVD player also allows a playstation etc to be plugged in.

The MPG can be even better than the Galaxy so long as you take it easy. The heavy car can go from 600 miles per tank full down to 400 miles if you drive at 85+ and don't spare the horses.

In my opinion, the Galaxy just isn't worth the money so long as the Sedona is around.

Pete

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
CliveV,

in response to your question about large cars versus 4x4's, you are obviously still unsure about 4x4's as you have asked the question, yet again. The admirable people who have posted about this debate such as stinky_pete (your mate) daventura(your other mate) and myself (your best mate), the newcomer derek (who bought a C-max after considering all arguements) and last but definitely not least and everyones technical friend Lutz, who knows more about it than any other member on this forum. Please read the latest info on the forum about 4x4's and their poor performance while towing due to the design of the suspension and high profile tyres.

Kanga

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Let me correct myself, I "meant " when you put a petrol BM next to a deisel one you can still tell the difference, of course mine is going to be louder,I know it aint super car of the year but " I " like it and thats all that matters to me and mine so there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Daventura,

there is no silliness as I was asked what I think of my Sedona and replyed, you have your choice and I'llhave mine !!! :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CliveV,

in response to your question about large cars versus 4x4's, you are obviously still unsure about 4x4's as you have asked the question, yet again. The admirable people who have posted about this debate such as stinky_pete (your mate) daventura(your other mate) and myself (your best mate), the newcomer derek (who bought a C-max after considering all arguements) and last but definitely not least and everyones technical friend Lutz, who knows more about it than any other member on this forum. Please read the latest info on the forum about 4x4's and their poor performance while towing due to the design of the suspension and high profile tyres.

Kanga
Kanga, no point involving that argument, Lutz and my own idea's on the subject are only theories, they carry no weight on both sides and could be argued till the cows come home. You have changed your tune slightly, now you are intimating that 4X4's can't tow. That was never part of your argument before and am surprised that you decided to take that line if anything the only comment you make about offroaders that makes sense is that of an environmental issue. Shame that also applies to your BMW though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning Kanga.

I feel Lol has put it well. But as regards the tyres on a 4x4 you can specify what you want. I run with 235/70 BFG' which have a very strong side wall so give very precise steering. If you want Low profile tyres you can have them on any 4x4. It will compromise the off-road ability because a larger tyre is better able to grip irregular surfaces. In fact we often lower the pressure in difficult terrain to allow the tyre "form" better on rough surfaces.

As for the greater suspension travel that is kept well under control until needed by gas shocks. Some more modern 4x4's have air suspension that sets itself lower for road use and raises itself when the terrain demands.

My sons cars - very "sporty" Nissan and Toyota run on tyres that look like rubber bands. The ride in both is truly appalling - abit like being in an upholstered roller-skate. In contrast the Range Rover provides a "magic carpet" ride with road imperfections that make my sons cars leap about just not even noticed. My point is that that is their choice and as such it is valid.

Come on Kanga - you must see that tyres and suspension do not make a 4x4 "unsuitable for towing" - If that was the case, would the British Army be better off lugging its equipment round the globe via a nice comfy saloon?

All I wanted to know was why, when the Voyager (great car by the way) is actually bigger than my Range Rover in all dimensional respects, is the Voyager somehow "acceptable" but a smaller car with nothing more than an extra propshaft is not?

You have gone round the houses but not actually said why.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've managed to resist being drawn into the 4x4 arguements, but I will post this once...... The arguement about 4x4's being bad for the environment can be answered very quickly, just look at the emissions figures for each vehicle. Sure, 4x4's will have greater emissions than say a Ford Mondeo, BUT some people carriers are up there as well, along with some larger petrol cars.

The answer? Road fund licence (now there's one for the trades descriptions act, when did any last get spent on roads? But I digress..........), the amount payable should be based on the vehicles emissions on a true sliding scale, not the half-baked system currently employed on engine size.

It IS workable, as its been applied to company car drivers for a few years and would be a much fairer system. If you want to drive a large, fuel-hungry vehicle (don't forget the petrol Grand-Voyager pumps out more emissions than say a diesel Freelander) then fine, but you will pay more tax than someone who drives a VW Polo.

There, arguement over, get back to the original question!!! 8O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is hard to resist commenting, isn't it Gary! Your toe is in the water now, don't expect the argument to be over to soon....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary - I agree with you on the Road Tax. The fact that this tax should be challenged under the trade descriptions act is something I feel strongly about.

I also feel strongly that non-UK lorries that come over running on cheaper fuel and paying no UK raod tax can do nothing but harm to our own hauliage industry. Its madness!

However, the variable company car tax system was axed as it was too expensive to run. The Inland Rveneue spent more on administering it than was actualy collected.

With

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I had a Galaxy and now have a Sedona.

The Galaxy was very good at towing and has a good MPG. The build qualty was a bit crap for the price and the water heater kept emmiting unburned deisel fuel. The seating inside was a little cramped too.

The Sedona is a good spacious car and a lot cheaper. The build quality is what you would expect from a 17,000 car but still as good as the 26,000 Galaxy I had.

Where the Sedona let me down a little was driving to Spain (solo), the engine purred up to 85 mph but didn't sound too happy any faster. I think it's a gear missing.

The sedona comes into its own for passenger comfort, loads of space, each person has there own light and air con outlet as well as a heater outlet. The free roof mounted DVD player also allows a playstation etc to be plugged in.

The MPG can be even better than the Galaxy so long as you take it easy. The heavy car can go from 600 miles per tank full down to 400 miles if you drive at 85+ and don't spare the horses.

In my opinion, the Galaxy just isn't worth the money so long as the Sedona is around.

Pete

cannot see how a 4x4 which is even more a bricked shape can

be more ecconomical than the galaxy.

in the same conditions, its just not possible, unless that is

it has the ability to break the laws of physics.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Icemaker

dont get me wrong am not slagging the galaxys,I think if your taking kids then they are great, I have two little ones, a 15yo who always wants to bring a mate and I always take my dad when I can persuade him,so the sedona won on the seating hands down,got the built in dvd as part of price ,so with metallic payed 14k, had a W plate which I traded in which was great,no problems,Yes you can tell the build quality is a bit below par,but its annoying rather than a problem,(incidentally the engines are made by mercedes)

Anyway did you give me a toot yesterday !!! way hay !!
i see the myth about the sedona engines coming from mercedes has come up again. my 2.9 crdi engine in my 2002 model is nothing like my 311 cdi merc sprinter engine, it was a sales pitch a few years ago

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gary an CliveV

With reference to Road Fund Tax, Likewise I think it should be abolished and additional tax loaded onto fuel to compensate, then, no-one but he most determined can avoid paying. It beautifully simple and automatically makes high consumption users pay more but in strict proportion and so fairly.

Foreign drivers will contribute when they purchase fuel, Caravanners will pay more when towing, "Gas guzzlers" will pay more because they use more. Over all and elegant solution , but of course Brit Gov PLC likes to over complicate everything.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
always find it strange when people compare uk hgvs to european ones, rather than individual countries.

then theres the complaint that they do not pay our road tax?

silly really as we do not pay their road tax either and its

upto each government in europe to set its fuel taxes, so its our

own fault not theres.

then there are those who would try to make non uk lorries pay

a toll charge to make it better for our truckers,without realising that each country would then do the same to all uk trucks.

and then we have those who say yes, but we have to pay to use

most of their m/ways, without thinking that so do they,

and lastly remember when our truckers are over their, they too

get cheaper fuel and infact most long haulage companies have

larger tanks to take advantage of this.

its a myth to say our haulage industry is in trouble because of

european trucks over here, as they form such a small part of

the goods movement market here as to be almost not worth mentioning.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Yes we do pay theire road tax, in the form of tolls and other permits that are required to travel in the relivant country, and no the foreign lorrys do not pay anything to run over here. we pay our road tax and then the tolls to use theire roads they pay nothing to use ourroads, yes our truckers go abroad but then they have to pay to use the motorways abroad. foreign trucks come here with full tanks of fual to avoid paying fuel tax in this country and ok our trucks come home with a full tank to take advantage of this but it is a short advantage. the only thing you have right is the myth about trucks, your right it is not the foreighn trucks that are causing the decline in uk trucks, its me, as a train driver. we took 300,000 extra lorry journeys off the road last year and up to now this year we have had a 40 % increase in freight again, all the major manufacturers are looking at moving to rail for long distance travel and most of the major supermarkets now use rail even the post office has returned after lorries proved incapable of delivering the mail on time. plans have been passed for a new rail line from the channel tunnel to liverpool using existing disussed railways, this is to be used mainly for freight it will be electrified throughout and is expected to remove 40% of all long distance lorries from the uk roads see, www.central-railways.co.uk and see for yourself.

Jul 29, 2005
Visit site
Nice point Icemaker it's about time we did make use of the thousands of miles of unused tracks where lines once where as the routes are already there.As for foriegn lorries and cheap fuel, i know loads of lorry companies that now send their lorries over to france to fill up and then just like the foreign lorries do, start their runs over here.

As for putting tax onto fuel to cover the big users why? they already use more fuel and as such pay more tax on it, why tax them even more and also ourselves?

Some people need to think before they post daft comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts