Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Coachman Amara 1480kg and currently tow with an Omega 2.2 diesel estate, we have been looking a the Ford S Max (7 seater) MPV and found a 2.0 diesel titanium which looks nice and the dealer said the kerbweight was 1650, does anyone tow with the S Max and what weight is their caravan, have they found the S Max any good?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
These are great cars,very practicle and a very good engine.

The kerbweight on the diesel is actually 1743 kgs with a max tow weight of 1750kg.This info i picked up from the Ford brochure.

These are very highly rated tow cars.

I was very close to buying one of these and test drove them throughly and never had so much fun in a car.

It wasnt heavy enough to tow my van but i was looking for a new company car and would have been a pleasure to own when i had to give it back i was so disapointed.

The reason i didnt choose it was the emmissions which make a difference on the company car tax it would have been an extra

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We tow a Lunar Lexon twin axle (with a Miro of 1266kg but in reality never go near the MTPLM of 1600kg) using our S-max.

How Mikey expects to find a car that is heavier than the S-max but with lower emissions is beyond me unless he's got a personal car for towing.

If the S-max was built by Honda Or Toyota it would be one of the best family cars available, very stable with the shed on the back, spacious without being too bulky and fun to drive like no 7 seater should be.

Unfortunately, the old Galaxy built by VW in Portugal was the most unreliable of all the Fords and now they are building the Galaxy / S-max themselves in Belgium things have actually got worse!

"Which?" 2008 surveyed a large number of cars in various classes and the reliability score of 75% for the S-max and Galaxy was the lowest of all the cars tested, even the Discovery and Freelander got higher marks, thats how bad they are!

Our own S-max needed a new flywheel at just 37,000 and the alarm module went at 40,000, the heaters in the front screen failed, the rear screen spontaneously shattered, the handbrake lever fell apart, the gearstick boot wore through twice in 30,000 miles.

We looked into alternatives but the car that cost us

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garfield

When I first started to read your reply I was very encouraged as I also tow a Lunar Lexon 1600 KG. The new 2.2 diesel S Max has a kerb weight of 1802Kg which is 89%.I have a Kia Sorento which I will change later this year, I was looking for a more car like drive when solo. However your account of the problems you had sounds horrendous and have sown the seeds of doubt about a move in this direction. The test in this month's Practical Caravan mag was pretty good however. Any other readers who have good or bad reviews I would like to hear.

Regards Jim

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Garfield you didnt read my posting correctly

"It wasnt heavy enough to tow my van but i was looking for a new company car "

If my van was lighter then my company car would be an S max to tow it and i would have got one,but as i have a 4x4 to tow my van my company car is best car i can get and the least company car tax i have to pay.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mikey

That's what I meant by you having a "personal car" ie one other than your company car.

If you could get a 4wd (but not with raised offroad suspension) S-max made by Toyota with their 180bhp 2.2 diesel, what a towcar that would be!!!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Garfield i wouldnt agree

I think the S max has character and is quite well built same with the Mondeo.

I test drove the new Avensis,Honda Accord and Mazda 6 and although very well built i found them bland and just good at what they do,but for me just didnt excite whereas the S max i just wanted to go and drive it.

In these days where im trying to save money an extra

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
the s max is a very very good car, we have gone through reviews of the s max so many times now that im not going to go in to long winded descriptions again as the old reviews can be found with a simple search. basically ours is a 07 plate s max zetec 2.0 tdci manual, the car tows our 2007 coachman vip 430/4 with absolute ease and total confidence, it returns 40 to 46 mpg on my daily commute depending on how i drive and at a steady 55 to 60 with the van on tow we get round about 36 to 38 mpg.

ive said it before and i will say it again garfield is the only owner i have ever heard complain about the s max or the galaxy and lets not forget that the galaxy has just been voted fleet car of the year for the 3rd year running so i can only assume that he has either somehow got hold of a right lemon or he uses the car a bit heavily, thats not a dig its just strange that nobody else has had any of the problems garfield mentions and most other owners are more than happy.

i would recomend the s max or the galaxy very highly esspecially the new 2.2 which is superb.

incidently i allso once owned a 52 plate ford galaxy that covered 100.000 miles with me and was very reliable and my alhambra diesel on a 05 plate was faultless untill the dealer destroyed the engine which they rebuilt and it then died again, in no way was the car to blame the dealer was just incompetent, so again draw your own conclusions to garfields comments regarding the reliabilty of these cars, it seems to me some people have lots of problems that nobody else seems to suffer.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have read of many problems with the galaxy especially, but also the s max.

Indeed the galaxy is know as the most unreliable car ford make.

Just what i've read.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i would like to know where this un reliabilty information is (reliable source) as the only negative information i can find is a few gripes from individuals who all appear to have the same problem as the first poster on whatever site they are on.

it seems very strange that a car that is built on the same platform as the mondeo with the same engine gearbox and running gear and mostly the same interior just a bit larger is suddenly the worst car ford have made where as the mondeo isnt !!, do we really believe that the trade users would really vote a car as the best you can buy for 3 years running if it was the most un reliable car ford have made ?, no i didnt think so, its more like i havent had one and dont really want one so ill give it bad press or im about to change so i will tarnish its reputation.

quite appart from this who else makes a car that looks as good as the s max and will carry seven people in comfort with over 1600 kgs on tow and still be within its train weight (without spending a ridiculous amount of money), incidently my hand book states the max tow as 2000 kgs not 1750 as stated by mikey but he did pick this up from the brochure which is probably wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Icemaker

Nice to read a satisfied customer review, however I think Mickey is correct in saying the max tow weight for the 2 litre engine is 1750Kg. The 2.2 is 1800kg according to the Ford Technical Specification on the online brochure.

Jim

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Icemaker,

The source of my information, apart from own experience, is "Which? car 2008" which is not exactly your average mickey mouse publication, untill the minor and major failiures started, I too thought the S-max was a fantastic car. Apart from the knowlege that it will cost us an arm and a leg in repairs once it is out of warranty, I still like the car and hopefully the repairs will not be as much as the

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hey credit where it's due folks. Honest John and Whatcar both rave about this car and cite no particular gripes except minor reliability problems on early models.

HJ calls it an SUV sportscar and WC give it 5 stars as a used buy.

I'd have one if I could afford it and it came with auto 4WD.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I think icemaker is over reacting to a comment i made, still i have read the the galaxy is the most unreliable car ford make, what car made the comment about the Kuga in its earlier editions that the car was not one of the best, and it certainly hasn't won any group tests i have read.

On this site i have again read adverse comments from owners of the s max.

That does not imply that i am jealous of people that have one, or that i am slagging them off, i was simply saying what i had read, knowledge is power, and should be shared.

Ice maker reaction reminds me of freelander owners.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
We have a 2.5T S-Max. I also frequent the SMaxOwnersClub forum.

I'd say, from the posts I see on the S-Max forum it's no more or less reliable than most other cars these days. In fact, our S-Max is currently proving far more reliable than my 5 series BMW. However, both have warranties and they both get fixed if need be.

In terms of faults with the S-Max I think the most recurrent are the alarm module going and now and then the heated windscreens. However, other faults are not particularly numerous or major.

There are a few things I think Ford should have done better with the S-Max interior (there's nowhere to put the load cover when you put the 6th & 7th seats up for example). BUT overall I still think it can't be beaten for space, flexibility and especially the driving experience. Handling in particular is very good and car like. It also looks great.

I met a family in Fleet services not long ago towing a 6 berth twin axle with a 2 litre diesel S-Max. They were also carrying 2 kids, the parents themselves and 2 grandparents plus luggage. They said it towed like a dream.

I've only towed once with ours but it was extremely stable and easy to tow with.

I just don't think there's any competition out there for it.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
We love our S Max which we got in March this year. It tows great and we've been up to the north west of Scotland with our van and will be going to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. We have no regrets getting this tow car after having Seat Alhambras before.

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I am currenly looking at both the S-Max and the new Galaxy as a possible new tow car. I would go for either.....the only downside being that neither of them has a spare wheel or dedicated space for one. At the moment I am leaning towards the Galaxy and buying a spare to be left in the rear! Mainly because I wouldn't look forward to sitting on a French Motorway in the middle of the night whilst the CC arrange recovery because the canister of "goo" doesn't always work. (personal experience having tried one last year....when I did have a spare as backup).

It would be useful to hear if any S-Max/Galaxy owners have any "spare" experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts