Forgotten how to caravan...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wonder how many of us will make some basic errors when out and about in the next couple of weeks. For example forgetting to disengage move before setting off, forgetting to lift steadies before setting off, forgetting mirrors, forgetting to remove wheel locks when using mover, the list goes on. LOL! 😆

Reactions: Eybygum and Thingy

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I did have a refresher two odd weeks back after doing a service and setting to work session, I took it for about a 12 to 15 miles run round the lanes. Everything came back surprisingly well, nothing overlooked, as like you I thought I might miss something.
Well, I don't think I did.
This Thursday though it is for real, I have already hoisted in plenty of gas is going to be needed, no EHU and on a hill top.
We were excited, but we both now look at the forecasts with a gathering hint of foreboding.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I needed to push the van out of the way yesterday to get to the compost bins. Brake off, steadies up, chocks out of the way but still it wouldn't move. Seems you need to remove the wheel clamp as well - duh!

• Haha
Reactions: Mel and JTQ
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the best bet if you are worried would be to make out hitching and pitching schedules and follow them. Avondale did a very good one in their day but not seen ne anywhere else.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have spent the last few days trawling the accesory shops for an eleasticated hook up cable, as I have attempted to push the van, uphill, on more than one occasion with it still connected to the house. In my defence, if madam would leave me to it instead of distracting me every three minutes, I might be in better shape.

Bound to forget something, though its nowt to do with a long layoff. We ALWAYS forget something.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We took caravan to service everything went ok put mirrors on the car put steadies up hitchlock and wheelclamp off and handbrake down then use mover to the towbar connect the plug to the electrics it felt great to be towing again so far everything to plan

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Done all checks everything ok apart from connecting to car for road lights. Err I always keep the connector's in the locker, two hours later with sinking feeling I have lost it, went back into caravan for fourth time , looked up and there it was on the hook by the door.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I wonder how many of us will make some basic errors when out and about in the next couple of weeks. For example forgetting to disengage move before setting off, forgetting to lift steadies before setting off, forgetting mirrors, forgetting to remove wheel locks when using mover, the list goes on. LOL! 😆
I'm sure I will - we're in the middle of getting ready to go away tomorrow but I seem to have forgotten which things go where when loading - must remember that speed limits are different when towing!

May 2, 2020
Visit site
We packed and ready to go in the morning to Filey dont think we have forgotten anything. Just as a quick reminder check your tyres and pressure on both caravan and tow vehicle as we have been parked up for 5 months +. Happy get aways everyone!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We packed and ready to go in the morning to Filey dont think we have forgotten anything. Just as a quick reminder check your tyres and pressure on both caravan and tow vehicle as we have been parked up for 5 months +. Happy get aways everyone!
Torque caravan wheels too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our main problem will be finding where we have squirrelled everything away since we got home last November. Since then we have been busy and normal hideaways have changed. But at least I have my spreadsheets to show what should be coming with us.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We are lucky enough to have been away a couple of times.
One thing we have done is to empty every cupboard etc and make sure we have nothing that isn’t needed.
I’ve washed and polished the van, had it moving up and around the drive on the motor mover, cleaned and lubed the mover mech.
Filled the water system and checked it’s function, had hob and oven lit.
Tyre pressures done, wheel studs replaced and torqued up
Tyres are 2 years old so look fine, just had 2 new tyres on the back of our tow car.
Booked 3 long weekends away, 1 every 3 weeks.

Enjoy getting out there people.

Kev

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Happy Getaways to all, Bringing mine home this week, check it all over before service, maybe replace spare tyre as its original, check its age. Then get away in May. .
Twice I have pitched up and the Hook up has been about 2 foot short, a long time ago and then at a Mini Woosie fest put the Awning up inside out. .
All good fun as long as its nor raining.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Never seen an awning go up inside out. Didnt you twig it when the poles were outside? :fearscream:

At Bunree i gave a lad a hand when he got his awning stuck after having been helped by his pitch neighbours. Between them they had managed to feed the rubberized accessory strip in the rail rather than the kadar beading. It was so tight it wouldnt move either way. Thing is, none of them had noticed.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We are planning a trip in May, it will have been 21 months since our last outing.
As long as I dont forget the caravan and it is hooked up and following me I wont care what else I have forgotten :giggle:

Reactions: Hutch and Kevin M
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Happy Getaways to all, Bringing mine home this week, check it all over before service, maybe replace spare tyre as its original, check its age. Then get away in May. .
Twice I have pitched up and the Hook up has been about 2 foot short, a long time ago and then at a Mini Woosie fest put the Awning up inside out. .
All good fun as long as its nor raining.
Hutch Would have love to see the Awning up inside out :)

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Last time I was out was October 2019. Will not be away until later in the year. Wife used to look after the inside of van my job look after outside. Now I will have to o both at home and on site. She used to make a list for both of us and each item was packed it was ticked of when done. Now I will have to do it all myself, did move van from back of house to front for servicing not a lot of room between house and fence. I'm sure to forget some thing as the van was emptied out last year.

Trevor

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time I was out was October 2019. Will not be away until later in the year. Wife used to look after the inside of van my job look after outside. Now I will have to o both at home and on site. She used to make a list for both of us and each item was packed it was ticked of when done. Now I will have to do it all myself, did move van from back of house to front for servicing not a lot of room between house and fence. I'm sure to forget some thing as the van was emptied out last year.

Trevor
Hi Trevor Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife but sure that you will remember more than you think. Anything you forget could be bought while out as the main thing will be to remember the good times with you wife and also to make new ones so you will enjoy this next part of your life.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts