Forgotten how to caravan...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Let us hope to meet up somewhere, life goes on, old friends and new ones to meet.
Hutch and Elaine, and Harry the dog.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes lots of memories.
Always went East, West and North, did go South in the early days.
I'm having a bit of work done in the house that was cancelled last year, so it will be later in the year before I get away and after the mad rush.
Still have to clean out the water carriers and pipework run out of Puriclens need to run out for some.

Trevor

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We packed and ready to go in the morning to Filey dont think we have forgotten anything. Just as a quick reminder check your tyres and pressure on both caravan and tow vehicle as we have been parked up for 5 months +. Happy get aways everyone!
Everything was checked at it service I hope you have a great time at Filey :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I can honestly now say I have lived up to the title of this thread, have I ever forgotten how to caravan.

Having spent the last couple of days doing minor repairs, I then got round to firing up the various systems, and having tersted the Alde heating successfully, I couldnt for the life of me get the hot water to work. Ok, fairdos, its our first Alde system, and we have only used it twice so far, and then the long layoff.

My mind was telling me the 1,2 or 3kw setting was the heating, and wanting to test water only, i didnt switch that on. Unable to find where madam had hidden the manual its taken me most of the afternoon to work out something so simple. What a dummy. And yes, it works:whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My mind was telling me the 1,2 or 3kw setting was the heating, and wanting to test water only, i didnt switch that on. Unable to find where madam had hidden the manual its taken me most of the afternoon to work out something so simple. What a dummy. And yes, it works:whistle:
A bit of advice. Forget using the 3kw for heating as that draws 12.5amp leaving you with very little for anything else. Hot water takes priority over heating so you end up with a cold caravan or tripping the mains.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tough times Trevor. Very sorry to hear your sad news. Caravanning is a great comfort even if alone but still carries lots of happy memories.
Wyoming serviced three weeks ago at storage, back to house next Monday. I have a few repairs to do. So the brake cleaning fluid and Sikaflex delivered two weeks ago have mysteriously disappeared!It’s 7 months since our last trip. That’s all I can remember 😜😜😜

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Well I can honestly now say I have lived up to the title of this thread, have I ever forgotten how to caravan.

Having spent the last couple of days doing minor repairs, I then got round to firing up the various systems, and having tersted the Alde heating successfully, I couldnt for the life of me get the hot water to work. Ok, fairdos, its our first Alde system, and we have only used it twice so far, and then the long layoff.

The hot water will be on on any setting, electric or gas. To give precedence to the hot water simply turn down the room thermostat so that the heating won’t come on.

You will have a setting you can use I think it’s “warm water”. (A bit odd as it gives more hot water), all this does is cancel the heating pump for a given duration. Useful for getting multiple showers, though not necessary IMO.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The hot water will be on on any setting, electric or gas. To give precedence to the hot water simply turn down the room thermostat so that the heating won’t come on.

You will have a setting you can use I think it’s “warm water”. (A bit odd as it gives more hot water), all this does is cancel the heating pump for a given duration. Useful for getting multiple showers, though not necessary IMO.

John
I have always thought that hot water always took precedence to heating so no need to turn down thermostat?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Trevor, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can still enjoy your caravan, my wife has always done the list but keeps it on her tablet so easy to work.
There are a number of solo campers associations, including in both clubs, not sure if it would be of interest to you, but I gather there are plenty of people in your position in them.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, I have it all sorted, it all fell right back into place when I realised how stupid I was being. I never would use it on 3kw, although you can legislate for too much draw within the control panel. My mind was just transposing the two controls. I think it may have been my first senior moment.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have always thought that hot water always took precedence to heating so no need to turn down thermostat?

The hot water jacket surrounds the glycol jacket, if the CH pump is on it will draw the glycol, (therefore), the heat away from that available to heat the water.

It’s a trade off. But only ever a problem if you are waiting on hot water.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had the battery on the CTEK since November so disconnected it last week prior to checking it. After a week it was still well over 13 v. Then a sudden thought hit me. Since it had been on since November what were the electrolyte levels like. So I took off the cell caps and all cells were AOK.

So next step will be to retrieve the van and check out it’s bits and pieces and have new tyres fitted. Choice on reasonable quality 175/14C somewhat limited to say the least.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The hot water jacket surrounds the glycol jacket, if the CH pump is on it will draw the glycol, (therefore), the heat away from that available to heat the water.

It’s a trade off. But only ever a problem if you are waiting on hot water.

John
So gone are the days, of having the gas light on in the van for the heat, and replacing the mantels with the silk things, lighting them and then putting the gas on , to "pop Them into shape.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So gone are the days, of having the gas light on in the van for the heat, and replacing the mantels with the silk things, lighting them and then putting the gas on , to "pop Them into shape.

Yep, thank god! I got a nasty burn on my head from one of those mantels.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve finally got my van on the drive, going away next Thursday on our first trip this year, I had hoped to have got the van home over a week ago but unfortunately our next door neighbour who was a good friend passed away 10 days ago so it felt disrespectful to be planning our week away when her family were still sorting everything, several members of the family said I should get on with it so I’ve started with the water sterilising, all electrical item seem to be functional, had mains plugged in so I’ve put a cup of water in the freezer to see if it’s ok, not tested the water heater yet as unsure if I can switch it on with pureiclean in the system so I’ll check that tomorrow, I’ll flush the puriclean out in a couple of hours,jobs to do, clean the outside and wife the inside, I’ve got a new wheel for the jockey wheel to fit, tyres to check and load all the bits we took out months ago, I prefer to get everything loaded and then get it back to storage 2 or 3 days before we go away we take clothes and enough food for first day, I prefer to not go away straight from home as it’s too noticeable, if we are at home for a few days after it’s gone back to storage then it’s not quite so much a target. So I’ll be thinking of all the things I’ve forgotten over next few days, I’ve put 15 bottles of corona beer to toast our trip so that’ll do for a start.

BP

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve had the battery on the CTEK since November so disconnected it last week prior to checking it. After a week it was still well over 13 v. Then a sudden thought hit me. Since it had been on since November what were the electrolyte levels like. So I took off the cell caps and all cells were AOK.

So next step will be to retrieve the van and check out it’s bits and pieces and have new tyres fitted. Choice on reasonable quality 175/14C somewhat limited to say the least.
Very interesting Clive.
I was under the misapprehension my LB was sealed for life. Never thought about checking the electrolyte. But I am sure my servicing engineer does.👍
I also assumed the CTEK was like my new Apuljack charger. Ie it could never over charge nor overheat the battery.
See some earlier posts on chargers from me and the Prof.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty dog I am sure your new Charger /power unit is the same as our old BCA unit a smart charger, ends up a s a trickle then boosts to 14.8 v. Back to rickle.
I suppose if in dought read the manual.
See you soon maybe Norfolk,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty dog I am sure your new Charger /power unit is the same as our old BCA unit a smart charger, ends up a s a trickle then boosts to 14.8 v. Back to rickle.
I suppose if in dought read the manual.
See you soon maybe Norfolk,
Hutch. A resounding no. The Apuljack units are light years ahead in performance and design over the BCA units. Check the spec. The electrical engineers will explain better than me. In fact Parksy’s Nordelectronica unit was rebuild by Apuljack a few years ago Using solid state technology.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting Clive.
I was under the misapprehension my LB was sealed for life. Never thought about checking the electrolyte. But I am sure my servicing engineer does.👍
I also assumed the CTEK was like my new Apuljack charger. Ie it could never over charge nor overheat the battery.
See some earlier posts on chargers from me and the Prof.

Im afraid despite being an engineer ( long time back now) I chose a category B leisure battery by Banner. Supposedly excellent quality but comes with removable caps. It’s not one of the low/ zero maintenance ones. But in two years I have never had to top it up. Yes CTEK is voltage limited and will not overcharge the battery, or “ cook” it as Prof would say. But old habits die hard 😂

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts