Forgotten how to caravan...

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Hutch the last owner changed the spare wheel in 2017 and it under the van last time I look
Best, make sure it is still there before you go home, when did you last check its pressure, that was another reason for me ditching the AlKo Carrier, you cannot get to the valve, the way it is clamped into the carrier.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
My spare is on the alko carrier still, will get it off this weekend for a check over..in theory it should be 4 years old, not checked the date tbh but will do. Running tyres were swapped last year for Hankook Vantras.

Kev

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Best, make sure it is still there before you go home, when did you last check its pressure, that was another reason for me ditching the AlKo Carrier, you cannot get to the valve, the way it is clamped into the carrier.
Hi Hutch it there when it had the caravan service last month and the pressure was done :)

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Just put on the spare wheel, been in the front locker since new 5 years ago and the other one was 7 years old didn't like the look of it so had a new one fitted will change it for the one thats on the van, so 2 new? tires fitted.

Trevor

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Talkinhg to my Caravan Lad, a 2 psi drop is normal per month. On a tyre.
I have never known anyone to remove there Alko Carried wheel to check the pressure.
Hands up "truley"

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Talkinhg to my Caravan Lad, a 2 psi drop is normal per month. On a tyre.
I have never known anyone to remove there Alko Carried wheel to check the pressure.
Hands up "truley"
Can’t you get valve extenders that allow you to check and pressurise without removal. Mind you my van spare in the locker and each cars spare all have the valve inwards so require removal to check and re-pressurise.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Caràvan Spare Wheel. now carried under the bed,
I tried to remove the spare wheel from the Alko carrier, twice and decided , its not safe to do.
Has any one replaced their punctured tyre, using the spare removed from the Alko carrier. It's a real Faff. And hard to get the carrier back in place, even for a young person , let alone an old fart like myself.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Caràvan Spare Wheel. now carried under the bed,
Tried to remove Alko spare twice and decided , its not safe to do,
Anywone replaced their punctured tyre, using the spare removed from the Alko carrier.
We always carried the spare in the van as it was outright difficult to use the Alko carrier and dangerous when abroad. When on site the spare w would be pushed under the caravan and locked to the chassis with a strong chain.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We almost forgot how to caravan on Friday morning before we set off for a week in Cornwall.
When we finish with the caravan for the year we take everything out, so when we were getting ready to leave on Friday morning we both completely underestimated how long it would take us to load the car, get the caravan ready, hitch up and go.
I'm not so good on my legs this year, and Herself is recovering from a broken ankle, so we were both hobbling to the car and caravan like old crocks.
We started off, eventually.
Three hours later than I'd hoped to get on the road. 😕

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Can’t you get valve extenders that allow you to check and pressurise without removal. Mind you my van spare in the locker and each cars spare all have the valve inwards so require removal to check and re-pressurise.
I don't see the point in checking the spare tyre pressure - I carry an electric tyre pump so would just inflate the spare to required pressure before fitment.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I inflate my spare to the pressure of the rears. Easier to let it out for the fronts rather than pump it up for the rears. Caravan of course is a different kettle of fish and is pumped before each trip just in case.

I have to say, I dont envy the guys without a proper spare. I dont like space savers and I truly hate the repair kits.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the point in checking the spare tyre pressure - I carry an electric tyre pump so would just inflate the spare to required pressure before fitment.
I prefer to keep things in line so that in the event of an event the time to sort out out is minimised. I carry a track pump in the front locker which is very quick to use, and when towing there is also a good electric inflator in the car to enable me to adjust tyre pressures fir towing then solo then back to towing as required.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We almost forgot how to caravan on Friday morning before we set off for a week in Cornwall.
When we finish with the caravan for the year we take everything out, so when we were getting ready to leave on Friday morning we both completely underestimated how long it would take us to load the car, get the caravan ready, hitch up and go.
I'm not so good on my legs this year, and Herself is recovering from a broken ankle, so we were both hobbling to the car and caravan like old crocks.
Hi Parksy Glad to see you arrived safely and can now have a great time on holiday, hope the break is all you are both hoping for and there are no problems. Take care and enjoy..........

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope that you both have a well deserved and enjoyable stay.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy Glad to see you arrived safely and can now have a great time on holiday, hope the break is all you are both hoping for and there are no problems. Take care and enjoy..........
Thanks Beachball, back in the old routine and in our happy place 😊

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
T
You now have Lady Bacchus, wanting to come down to Hale Beach, her dads birthplace, got to go to The Bucket of Blood, for a pint. And Rexy loved the beach very much. Have a great time.
Thanks Hutch
There are some lovely beaches in St Ives bay, and some great pubs.
I only wish that they were open

• Love
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......enjoy your trip Steve and Carole.
I'm sure you will suss out a nice pub with a sunny garden.
We are off to the New Forest for 7 days....off grid at £12/night!!.....very close to the Sir Walter Tyrell pub :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts