Forum time stamps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The time stamps on the last postings do not seem to be synchronised to UK time. For example a posting was listed as having been posted "Today 8:27" but the local time in UK is only 8:01 GMT. This makes the when posted note very confusing and unhelpful to closely following threads.

Obviously we do get posts from non UK time zones, so perhaps consider using time elapsed e.g. "posted 'X' hours ago" for periods up to 24 hours then changing to days, weeks, months, years etc for longer periods. This avoids time zone issues.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a time stamp which shows the time, your comments above shows '35 minutes ago'.
Not all forum users will necessarily be on GMT so an actual posting time is not needed, but to help you to closely follow threads there is the 'Watch' button to top right hand side of your dialogue box, this will send either alerts which will show on the bell which is on the blue forum header strip.
There is also the 'Trending Threads' column on the right hand side of the forum webpage, this will show threads that are active with a date and time stamp, and if you scroll down a bit further there is the 'Latest Posts' column which gives a time stamp if the last thread was posted 12 hours or more ago.

Reactions: Dodger524

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I do for older posts but not for current ones.
There's nothing to suggest that this forum was set up or is administered from the UK , it's not exclusive to UK users so GMT isn't terribly important. I think that the modern term is now UTC anyway

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I get a mixture of notifications, either "Today at …....." or "….. minutes ago"
I cannot get excited about it, it seems so trivial and is really a non event.

With this being a forum where posters may or may not review a question for an answer for some time it is immaterial when , to a precise time, the original post was made, within reason.

I fail to see the point of answering a posting from 1 year ago when the original poster never acknowledged any replies within that year time.

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Just to add some additional info as well, each user can change the time zone for their own account. Hopefully the customization suits everyone more than requiring all users to display one specific region's time.
  1. Click your username in the upper-right of the forums
  2. Select the option Account details
  3. When you're on your account page, select Preferences on the left side of the screen
  4. Select your time zone from the drop-down menu
  5. Click the Save button at the bottom of the page
Hopefully that helps folks who want that info to better reflect their region.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your replys. I gave an actual example of what I found, and what was confusing is it appeared that a comment had been posted at a time (today at 8:27am) when the actual time was only 8:01 am. How could that be possible?

Well it could have been me! I use a number of different devices throughout the day, and it is possible I viewed the page in the morning one one day, but failed to close it down, and then returned to the device the next morning, and the page was still open from the day before.

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts