Forum Upgrade Feedback - 4 May 2023

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Greetings all,

We have now completed the upgrade process to the latest version of Xenforo and moved hosting. While there is expected to be minimal impact, upgrading to the latest version of XenForo may cause potential issues that weren't apparent in testing. Please feel free to let us know if you encounter anything game changing in this thread.

Below are a few known changes that aren't bugs:
  • As part of the update profile images (or Cover images as they were referred to) have been removed as the add-on that enabled this is now out of date. However, the feature is built directly into the latest version of XenForo so feel free to add them again.
  • The newest version of XenForo handles previewing posts in a much more minimalist way. It's quick and simple but also not 100% clear especially when you're used to the old way. We don't know if this is something we can adjust, but be aware that while it may seem like nothing is happening it is showing you what the post will look like.
  • Quick Thread was causing some issues with the latest update so that has been removed.
  • In terms of site responsiveness it's difficult to gauge right after maintenance, we'll be keeping an eye on things to make sure any slow speeds are temporary.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the Forum upgrade has gone really well as compared to some companies/organisations that do such things it was only down for a short while, and actually worked when it came back. Congratulations to those involved.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Why is my signature in "Toggle signature" mode
My little cars wheels are not spinning!!
If I click the "toggle signature" it works?
But only on the post I have clicked it dopesnt automatically change them all.
Any ideas?

Edit: when this was posted the wheels were turning
Went and checked another post and they weren't, came back to this one and now these have stopped with the "toggle signature" in blue

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I started a new topic, I hate writing a topic then posting only to find faults in what I’ve wrote, I wrote my topic and tried to preview only to lose, this is a pain to say the least.

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I started a new topic, I hate writing a topic then posting only to find faults in what I’ve wrote, I wrote my topic and tried to preview only to lose, this is a pain to say the least.

BP
I see what you want, there's no preview box

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

BP
Point taken, but Is it a big deal? I rarely used Preview, Just posted and edited if needed.

John

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I just looked to see if I could turn that off, but it seems not. I wonder if it is like that if there are a number of lines in the signature?

John
That would mean the forum has had a down grade and not an upgrade!!
Will wait and see if the boffins can shed some light and sort it out for us.

EDIT: just clicked on your toggle signature and it all shows, so it is there somewhere.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

EDIT: just clicked on your toggle signature and it all shows, so it is there somewhere.
I think it has to do with keeping larger signatures down.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Clearly a typo, but the banner near the top of my screen ( below the big blue header) says “ Want to get more from the Practical Cravan forums….” As branding is important you might want to edit.
BTW I like the new format but the “similar threads” displayed below the forum list are sometimes very old.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a usage point of view it's quite similar to the replaced version, but there are a few features that don't sit well with me.

Like Mel, I find the "similar threads" to be extremely tenuous, and in many cases very ancient. I'm not fan of them, but as I wont be using them its just an annoyance rather than a problem.

What I do find a problem, is the changes to the toolbar in the text creation box. IFor some of the features I tend to use are no longer in the always visible options but are now buried in an option menu. I do not know why this aspect was changed, it actually seems a retrograde step.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Clearly a typo, but the banner near the top of my screen ( below the big blue header) says “ Want to get more from the Practical Cravan forums….” As branding is important you might want to edit.
BTW I like the new format but the “similar threads” displayed below the forum list are sometimes very old.
mel

Yikes. That typo was all me. I am very sorry about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

CParsons

Staff member
Dec 16, 2019
Visit site

It was an Admin setting to, as assumed, cut down on those who have large signatures. I have disabled it though.

Reactions: Gagakev

CParsons

Staff member
Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Like Mel, I find the "similar threads" to be extremely tenuous, and in many cases very ancient. I'm not fan of them, but as I wont be using them its just an annoyance rather than a problem.
Similar Threads will become more relevant over time, it's just the initial loading of them that digs up old posts. Alternatively, if no one feels they are useful, we do have the option to disable them from showing at the bottom of the forums. They will, however, remain when starting a thread to help avoid topics being created that may already exist.

As for the toolbar, that was not a decision made by us. We do have *some* options for customization. Can you tell me what buttons you prefer to have showing without accessing the menu? I've added back the emoji one without the need to access a menu.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts