france in january

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
hello all,

were looking to travel down to the south of france in january.

could anyone give us any tips or do's and donts ??

we have only just bought a new baileys ranger 620/6 and january is our only 2 weeks off.

cheers

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can use mappy.com or viamichelin.com to work out your route, and fuel and toll costs. To find overnight sites you can use http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm which lists ALL campsites within 15 kilometres of the major routes through France, listed from North to South along those routes, so makes site-finding easy. Sites which are open all year are listed in red - and POI information is given too.

Not many sites are open in France in January - so make sure the site you want is actually open at that time - don't rely on information in books or brochures.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are using the western channel crossings there are not too many open all year sites before getting to Spain.

CCEurope 1 book shows most of them.

From the north look at Heric near Nantes, Futuriste near Poitieers (Jauny Clan) Moulin at Pons and La Rouletta at St Jean de Luz. Of these I would consider Futuriste and Rouletta as suitable for stay longer than one or two nights at that time of year.

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Going to south of France is fine if that's where you want to go but don't go expecting the weather to be too much different than in the UK. I made that mistake - went in February to site near Cannes - weather quite warm (18-20 degrees) spoilt us for the following year when it snowed. Been twice more since - quite chilly and wet.Stayed overnight at a site near Beaune ( in C&CC brochure)

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
May I ask why the South of France in January
Indeed and totally right. You need to be in far southern Spain to have a chance of regular sun or even Morrocco !!! the latest option. Southern France can be cold and wet, why risk it.

Wayne

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts