france/spain /or other place?

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Whilst we are now familiar with caravanning (although still amateurs) having spent the last 6 months out of 12 here and there in the UK , we weren't able to venture further because of the age of our eldest dog. We had to put him down towards the end of our seasonal pitch in Cornwall, and so now only have our 3 yr old retriever which has made us think about travelling further afield for next winter. We would therefore be grateful for any suggestions with regards to routes to southern France/Spain or any other destinations perhaps of a milder climate than here. I am aware of the various ferry options etc, and have read all the magazines, brochures, etc etc, and am still none the wiser, and am now looking for personal experiences. All comments will be gratefully accepted.

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi sian well it dose depend who long you are going for it's a long drive to spain/portugal and what you are looking for we enjoy france and portugal lagos particulary which is southern most part of porugal in the algarve the site we use is camping tourimo it's in the camping chqeue guide super pool area and very near the beautiful beach of luz. of course you could try france which we also love and ther are so many places to agde near bezeirs is one of our favorites camping neptune is very good 10min walk to the medertrain beach nice quite site. we also like doing the rallies with the c&c club. as i say there is such a huge choice have a fantastic time happy vanning peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you're not familiar with 'Camping Cheque' have a look on the website. They are a consortium of campsite owners, who have formed a company which offers 'low season' Camping Cheques. One cheque costs

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Val's right - the motorway from Clermont Ferrand is stunning. What she also didn't mention is that it is toll free, except for the new bridge at Millau (superb - worth a visit in itself). We haven't tried her route to CF (one for the future), but usually go on the toll motorway to Troyes and then across country via Nevers & Moulins to the motorway. Again, good roads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sian,

Can I add my 10p's worth. Last autumn we went to Spain to shorten the winter. We made the mistake of thinking'Lets get there as fast as we can'. and, as a result used the Portsmouth-Bilboa route. Frankly, it was the worst decision we have ever made. It wasn't the ship mind you. It was the passengers who,with the exception of a small minority and the caravanners on board were there to throw as much booze down as they could and damn the consequences. They were on a four day "Mini cruise" for which most had paid something in the region of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can I just express a different opinion on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry. We've now used it four times over the last few years (well, we live in Scotland and have to accept a long haul to the ferry but after that we prefer to get on holiday as quickly as possible).

Yes, I accept that there are a number of people on mini cruises on the ferry and they're all out for a good time but we've never experienced much in the way of excessive drinking. We ourselves have enjoyed the floor show in the lounge whilst experiencing a drink or two but have not seen anything untoward other than people enjoying themselves.

Also, the other amenities on board are excellent and we thoroughly enjoy the two night mini cruise. Let's hope it hasn't changed since we last used that ferry in 2004 - we're booked to travel on it in April this year !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you're not familiar with 'Camping Cheque' have a look on the website. They are a consortium of campsite owners, who have formed a company which offers 'low season' Camping Cheques. One cheque costs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val

I wonder if you can give me more info on the route you have mentioned, we usually go around Rouen then down, of course avoiding the tolls as the N roads are so much nicer but it would be nice to have a change of scenery.

Regards Ron
Hi Ron

We take the A1 down to Senlis, just north of Paris because that part of France is boring, and we usually do it very early morning anyway (after a sleep near the port or at Chateau de Ganspette). At Senlis we take the N330 cross-country to Ermenonville, then back towards Paris on the next motorway (sorry glasses on, late at night, and can't read the small road numbers - will get back to you later). We take the Franciliennce, which if you look on a map sweeps around to the right of Paris. Head for Marne le Vallee, until you see the exit sign for it, but then continue on the N104, head for Evry, then down the A6 for the free section to Nemours. Take the Nemours turn off, and then down the N7 towards Nevers, Moulins, then at Moulins take the N9 (I think - glasses again) through St Pourcain (nice town to stop for a meal) - municipal campsite here, as well as a private site just further south (sign shows frogs, on the left of the road but can't remember the name). Take the road towards Grannat, and then you'll see the A75 signposted. We like this route, and have had no trouble on it (apart from last year when a 'Cycle Race' held us up for an hour and a half - however to the amusements of the locals we made dinner, and had it whilst watching the race, on the verge at the roadside. We made a lot of friends that day, including the race warden, who we made a 'cuppa' for and discovered that he was a fellow caravanner. Take the A75 for the rest of the way - a beautiful road from here down! Hope you can follow my instructions - sorry about the glasses. Come back to me if you've any questions! Val

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts