Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As mentioned before, Herself and I are going to France for an extended holiday,leaving here mid-August.Should we now be booking sites and ferries? We'll be going first to the Nievre district, then to the Vendee,then returning to Calais, all in about six weeks Is this practical?.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Emmerson.

I would be looking for ferry deals now if I were you.

Some of the larger French sites close in September after the Brits head home from the school hols I understand so it may be worth checking if chosen sites stay open or picking sites that stay open.

We have done two part holidays in the past, from West Coast and then down to the Dordogne, the Med,Italy, Switzerland. Kids when younger made friends on the west coast so we did annual trips so they met their holiday friends. Thats how my kids speak French!

Depends how much you want to see, in recent times I get booking deals with P&O going to France. For sites I just call a day or so before we go and have always found space available, but I would not reccomend trying that when the French are starting their annual holiday shut down but you will be clear of that.

Travel is generally much easier than here so you should have no problems getting to see what you plan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson.

I would be looking for ferry deals now if I were you.

Some of the larger French sites close in September after the Brits head home from the school hols I understand so it may be worth checking if chosen sites stay open or picking sites that stay open.

We have done two part holidays in the past, from West Coast and then down to the Dordogne, the Med,Italy, Switzerland. Kids when younger made friends on the west coast so we did annual trips so they met their holiday friends. Thats how my kids speak French!

Depends how much you want to see, in recent times I get booking deals with P&O going to France. For sites I just call a day or so before we go and have always found space available, but I would not reccomend trying that when the French are starting their annual holiday shut down but you will be clear of that.

Travel is generally much easier than here so you should have no problems getting to see what you plan.
Cheers cris.visiting family in nievre, so don't sites after paris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought that there is any need to book sites especially any that you might want to use in September, but be warned that many sites close at the end of that month, and some even before that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson

I have just returned from France and stayed on a site that mayt suit it is L'Etang d'Or at Rambouillet. The Camping Cheque book write up say's :- "This campsite is an excellent base for visiting the French capital, Versailles and Chartes, offering a large spacious pitches in a wooded setting". This I can confirm, there is also an adjacent lake, where we saw a heron. The trees are mature and the resultant foliage might give a problem with satelite dish location. We only used it as an overnight but would like to return for a longer stay, enough said.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hymerman

We have booked 4 nights in aug at L`Etang d`or, glad to hear its a nice site. We booked it through campingfrance.com. Then we are having 14 nights at L`Oree du Bois at la palmyre.Cheers Richard W

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts