freedom of speech (insurance)

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can I be a bit thick and ask what this company (Ithink I know which one is being referred to) has done, Im soory but Ive only just read this particular topic.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
DAVE, We can not name the company on this forum as pc will remove any thread that names them. ask any caravanner on site and they should be able to advice you. sorry but if i name them the thread will be removed, i can't even give you my e-mail as it could be construed as slander.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Can I be a bit thick and ask what this company (Ithink I know which one is being referred to) has done, Im soory but Ive only just read this particular topic.
I'll whisper the name in your ear. (Or it may be easier to send you an email).

Moderator.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I was previously insured by this company and when I first telephoned to get a quote, I have to say that they clearly explained the 13 monthly payments to me. I was a little concerned after reading on another forum site that the companys excess was a tad high - being a percentage of the claim - this being considerable for a higher value van.

In the end I cancelled because their (and many others) security requirements when not parked at home were not possible for me to adhere to.

Cannot comment on their performance in the event of a claim though.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
You'll be pleased to hear that Haymarket Publishing is in discussions with E&L Insurance who are keen to resolve any issues.

The firm has agreed to investigate any reader complaints thoroughly and discuss these with us. Any genuine complaints will receive full redress.

In addition, the firm is a member of the Insurance Ombudsman Service, an independent body that readers can contact without cost if they remain unhappy.

So if you want to take this further then please email any complaint to PCGM@eandl.co.uk addressed to the General Manager.

We'll then be able to make proper judgement on this matter.

Many thanks

Alison Gill

Publisher

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alisons responce seems fair to me. Whilst I am always sympathetic when somebody damages something and the insurance company queries the claim (believe me - as an IFA I know the tricks the "bad" insureres get up to to try to wriggle out of a claim!) it is also true that a lot of claims are dubious to say the least.

Our horse when it was alive was insurred with the company Alison quotes and we claimed twice for vets fees with no problem whatsoever. Mind you we know the "system" and provided documentary evidence of every item and obtained Vet reports for all work done. Payment of our claim was quick and efficient, but then the paperwork we supplied gave them little choice!

On a previous thread an individual was bemoaning the fact that an accident that damaged his caravan the previous season was rejected by his insurer when he tried to claim several months later!

Is it just me or can anybody else see the flaw in his logic?

If a caravan (or anything else for that matter) is damaged you report it straight away so that repairs can be carried out before the damage escalates. Water ingress is such a well documented problem that I was amazed that this guy thought leaving it for several months and then claiming would be OK.

Insurance Companies are increasingly aware of exagerated claims. A client once admitted to me that she deliberatly spilt paint on her carpet so she could claim for a new one. A lady at the stables we had our horse at tried to claim for a fictitious illness on her horse and was most upset when I said that in my opinion she was being a fraud.

Genuine claims well pressented and documented will not in my experience be rejected.

My personal and professional recommendation is to use a company that has a good reputation. This is not usually the cheapest. Also it is imperative that your claim is fully documented.

Take photographs of your belongings, then you can prove the condition of the item prior to the accident or damage. Take photos of the damage. Get witness statements. Insurance Companies love to do 50/50 blame "deals" even if the accident was 100% the other guys fault. Reason? It is cheaper for them. But certainly not for you as the innocent victim when you come to renewal time.

The latest "trick" documented on these threads is that a claim was reduced due to the insurer (I wonder who?) stating that as the caravanner was inexperienced a full claim could not be met. Amazing!! Even with my many years of experience this was a new one on me.

My recommendation is that all caravaners now write to their insurer confirming the number of years that they have been caravanning and that they wish to confirm that they are "fully insurred as per the terms and conditions of our contract".

You have to watch these b*ggers!

No point getting angry after the event. Get prepared beforehand. Document everything.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham

See Alisons reply just above - She has mentioned it but as the publisher presumably she is allowed to do so!

The thread started due to PC removing the previous threads critical of this company. So I won't mention *&*

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Thanks very much for the e-mail address alison and for taking this issue seriously. i have today sent my e-mail to the general manager as requested, it took some typing i can tell you. I will post a message with the out come.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Well alison, i sent my e-mail to the address you have given yesterday as stated in my last post. ive come home today logged on and received a notification from my postmaster that mail to this address is un deliverable. seems even with your influance this firm is still reluctant to discuss its faillings, they will not respond to telephone calls they will not reply by post and they will not even give out a valid e-mail address to a major magazine company. i have tried to send another e-mail to the address you have printed and this has also been returned to me. a total waste of time and typical of this cowboy outfit (aledged insurance firm). and yes i am very annoyed. this matter has now been reported to the insurance ombudsman.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CLEARLY A PROBLEM HERE. PLEASE NOTE ALL PROVIDERS ARE NOW REGULATED BY THE FSA (Financial Services Authority) THIS MEANS THAT ALL COMPLAINTS MUST BE LOGGED AND DEALT WITH IN A PRE-DETERMINED WAY AND WITHIN A SET TIMESCALE.

HAVE A LOOK AT *&*'s WEBSITE - THIS CONFIRMS THEIR REGULATORY STATUS.

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU MUST BE GIVEN DETAILS OF THEIR COMPLIANCE OFFICER IF YOU MAKE A COMPLAINT.

IT IS POINTLESS COMPLAINING TO THE IOS (Insurance Ombudsmans Service)AT THIS EARLY STAGE AS THEY WILL ASK YOU TO MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT VIA THE COMPANIES COMPLIANCE DEPT FIRST. ONLY IF YOUR COMPLAINT CANNOT BE RESOLVED HERE WILL THE IOS GET INVOLVED.

IT IS FRUSTRATING I KNOW WHEN DEALING WITH A COMPANY THAT IS AT BEST UNHELPFUL AND AT WORST DELIBERATLY AVOIDING YOU.

THERFORE I ADVICE COMPLAINING IN WRITING, TO THE COMPLIANCE OFFICER AND SENDING YOUR COMPLAINT REGISTERRED POST. SNAIL MAIL IS STILL BEST IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES.

I HAVE ALSO NOTED THAT *&* HAS NO LESS THAN THREE (3) OUTLETS REGISTERRED WITH THE FSA :-

Reg No's 202748, 402234 and 402233

TO MAKE SURE YOU GET TO THE RIGHT DEPT AND ARE NOT GIVEN THE "RUN AROUND" QUOTE ALL THREE.

IF INDIVIDUALS WISH TO FIND OUT MORE (ADVISABLE AS YOU MAY COMPLAIN TO THE WRONG OUTLET!!) GO TO THE FSA'S WEBSITE AND ENTER THE ABOVE Reg. No.s TO FIND OUT MORE INFO ON *&* THAN YOU WILL EVER GET FROM THEM OR FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE.

HOPE THIS HELPS

IF YOU REQUIRE ANY MORE INFO, DO ASK.

I AM NOT KEEN ON GIVING OUT OUR COMPANY EMAIL ADDRESS AS WE COULD GET FLOODED WITH SIMILAR REQUESTS. THEREFORE BEST TO PUT THESE PROBLEMS ON THE FORUM SO THAT ALL CAN SEE IT.

R

CLIVE

May 20, 2005
Visit site
E&L insurance have asked me to post this message...

"Having checked today's postings it is clear that "John from Stockport" has endeavoured to send a complaint to the email address pcgm@eandl.co.uk, however it had been returned undeliverable. Having spoken with our intranet manager and having tested the same i am satisfied that the system is correct, please ask John to resubmit his complaint."

Or email myself direct on alison.gill@haynet.com with the complaint and I can forward to the company. To our knowledge John is the only person to get in contact, if you feel strongly please have your say.

Deadline is Friday 17th June.

Many thanks

Alison Gill

Publisher

Practical Caravan

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
ALISON, i have re sent the letter to the *&* address you have supplied and i have also sent a copy to yourself. to be on the safe side and to check my e-mail system i also sent the message to my other e-mail address and found that it was delivered ok. hopefully this sorry saga will soon be at an end.

Could i also encourage any other reader who has reason to complain whether it be about a current problem or a past problem to contact this company using the address as soon as possible, its pointless raising issues then doing nothing about it others will suffer as a result and maybee *&* will start to treat customers with a little more respect. We can not complain at a later date if we ignore this chance we have been given now.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Just to keep the forum updated, I have today received a reply from *&* to my complaint. the person now dealing with my claim appears to have taken the issue seriously and has given some positive feedback which encourages me to think that this will be over and done with sooner rather than later. i will post the outcome as and when it happens.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
To keep the forum updated, *&* have wrote to me each day since my complaint and have today informed me that despite the other persons insurance company denying liability for my claim (despite photo's proving guilt)*&* have decided to return my policy excess as a gesture of good will. this has gone part way to ending my claim and i am pleased that we now appear to be making progress, just my no claims status to recover now then all will be happy again. I give my thanks to MR MARTIN at *&* for initiating this progress, and also to ALISON and the pc team for responding to this issue.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
keeping this thread updated, i have today received my cheque for the excess from the insurer but they advice me that the third party is still trying to deny liability so my no claims is still in tatters. great to receive the cheque even though it took 5 weeks to arrive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At last the rascals are named. I have been ploughing through this thread, all the while believing the company to be the very same one that cancelled my policy when I changed my van last October - see my post regarding this.

Alison, I have already made contact with FSA (yesterday) but will now be emailing you, as invited.

I would love to think that PC will support those of us wronged by this shabby bunch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any company that shoot off solicitors letters the minute someone dares to complain publically about factual poor service should be named and shame as has been done here.

I know of 2 caravanning websites who have been threatened and not in a financial position to stand up to these bully boy tactics.

I trust our magazine will continue to put it's readers first and advertisers very much in second position.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some while ago Clive V mentioned the use of independant advisers. Clive please do not take this as a slur but how do we know how good/denuine an adviser is? My experience regarding an independant mortgage advisers was that they recommended a company that was giving them good commission throughout the life of the mortgage. I understand that these advisers make their money from the policies they sell but I contacted the same company direct myself and was given far better terms than those from the adviser. The point I am trying to make is that not only are there unscrupilous insurance companies out there, there are also shady advisers as well. As I said previously I do not mean to be personal with you in any way - on previous topics you have given, what to me as a lay person in these matters, appeared very sound sound advice. Unfortunately there are shady charactures in all walks of life, I am a retired building surveyor and my industry is noted for its crooks and shady charactures. How does one find a reliable buisness person in the world of commerce these days?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
well its now november and i first posted this thread in may and i am still waiting for this company to settle my claim, yes they did refund my excess as a matter of good will but i still have not had my no claims bonus re-instated. this alone has cost me an extra 150 pounds this year to insure my van with somebody else.

It would also appear that this companies name is starting to appear again with yet more complaints. will they ever learn ?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Just noticed your post above - and I could not agree more. I think I also said in one post that you should ask arround to get a recomendation for a broker or a direct company.

From the data I see it is clear that for a given quality of plan an independent broker can always get you a better deal. The confusion appears when the likes of our favouite company that advertises by leaflet offers a cheaper premium and then applies a concerted effort NOT to pay out.

A broker would not touch such a company as the hassle of dealing with a client whose claim is being challenged is so time consuming and stressful that it just is not worth it. As I say - when looking at like for like in the quality arena a broker should be able to offer better value. So a broker tends NOT to recommend the financialy weak companies that almost by definition will have a poor claims paying history.

However, we do not do what we do for recreational purposes. We need to make a living. If we can do that by offering VALUE everyone is happy.

Let me pose a simple example and you can decide what you would do. I sorted out a pension for guy last month (I do not deal in Gen Insurance) - lets say my fee was

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
I have been camping for some 25 years, starting with canvas and for the past 10 years towing first a Pennine Pullman and most recently (5 years) the big Pathfinder. As usual we shopped around for what we thought was appropriate insurance cover.

We have now just purchased our first caravan and again looking around for insurance cover. Touch wood I have not had to make any claims in our camping history, but caravans seem to be more of a target.

At one stage we were seriously looking at going with this un-named company. Having read this thread I will NOT as I work on the line that there is no smoke without fire. Yes there seems to be some improvements with the un-named company but i would say they ahve a long way to go yet, more importantly sustainability.

It is unfortunate these days that you do only get what you pay for. Like wise there are still those out there that will rip you of. Buyer be ware ' ' '

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
AHA - so it has died a death then !!

The company still has its fliers in the PC & I did not get any emails explaining why my posts were deleted.

So we all had a good moan, some of us lost money but in the end the shabby so & so's win. Woohoo !

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Ah but no they have not won carol, you see i was adviced to keep my opinions to myself regarding my problems after this company eventually paid out, so i did. But very recently my friend has had his bailey senater stolen and despite my recomendations i found that it was insured by this nameless company, the van was on his drive with wheel clamp and hitchlock fitted it had a factory fitted alarm and was under cctv and security lighting. he has just received a letter from this insurance company stating that they are unwilling to pay out as the van did not have a wheel clamp, hitchlock, factory fitted alarm and was not under security lighting, this is absolutely unbelievable since the loss adjuster took away the keys for the locks and the alarm code as well as taking photos of the burnt off locks and the security lighting and noted that the van was stolen in daylight. seems this company will do anything to get out of paying a claim despite the obvious pitfalls, we have our own photos of the van fitted with all the required security items in various locations so how they even think they can get away with it i do not know. as its been said before this company should be avoided at all costs and this case has reignited the debate. i will keep the forum informed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts