Freelander TD4 5 door (mark 1)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Are they really as sutable to lug our van as they appear to be on paper? A little more kerbweight and higher max tow than my S60, but a lot less power.

Will it cope OK with a 1500kg MTPLM single axle van? There was one at the site we were at last week that was lugging an Abbey 620 twin axle. Are they any good, or unreliable rubbish?

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dale,

The Freelander is a perfectly good towcar, although as you've already indicated, it's not blessed with massive power for its weight. Where it scores well is the lower gearing, which allows it to make the most of the power available.

As for reliability, the Freelander is far from bulletproof, but a lot of the reported problems stem from the 1.8ltr petrol model. The TD4 is far less likely to give trouble.

Hope this helps

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dale

We have a freelander TD4 and it is a lovely tow car, we tow a sterling sapphire 1450kg. We have had no trouble with it at all, it has 130,000 on the clock, we would certainly buy another

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dale

I drove a TD4 as a company vehicle several years ago, the car covered 96000 mile while I had it and apart from routine servicing no other work was needed on it. The van we had at the time weighed 1400kg and the TD4 had plenty of power, you will find that the car will cope with 1500kg fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts