From M5 to Charmouth

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

I am going to Wood Farm in Charmouth,just off the A35,and the van is stored in Wellington,Just off M5 junction 26. I was going to follow this route: M5 junction 28,A373 to Honiton then A35 but have been told that the A373 gets very narrow and hilly a couple of miles before Honiton and is not really suitable for towing. I've since looked at M5 junction 25,A358,A303 to Honiton then the A35 but still unsure. Can anybody, who may have traveled either route, offer any advice or indeed another option.

Thanks

Mikey

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Used the A373 last year to get to Putts Corner, and whilst it isn`t the best road in the world, it certainly isn`t what I`d call `unsuitable` for caravans or HGVs.

To be honest, it frightens me sometimes that there are people towing caravans that think that major trunk roads are a problem, and panic if they get away from a three-lane motorway.

I hope they`re not on the same bit of road as me!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mickey, I travel regularly between Poole and the M5 so have tried them all. If it were me I would use M5 junction 25/A358 all the way via Chard & Axminster to the A35.

The A358 between the A303 and A35 is ok with no problems at Chard or Axminster worth worrying about. I did it last year when going from Bath to Axminster.

Ray

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Guys

I don't have a problem with small roads when towing and it wasn't a "towing" friend who said about the A373 but I thought I would ask the question anyway, after all it's better to be safe than sorry.

I guess either route will be O.K. then.

Thanks again

Mikey

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Mikeyw, I wouldnt use the juct 28 through from Cullompton to Honiton its a bloody alfull road. Very narrow in parts and not the best road to use with the caravan on the back. I wouldnt take my pride and joy that way!

Use either the juct 25 through Chard as sugested, ive done that route to Wood farm myself, its fine, or if you realy want main roads use Exeter j29 to Honion and up on the 35. a few more miles but time wise proberbly nothing in it

Kevin H

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Angus wrote

To be honest, it frightens me sometimes that there are people towing caravans that think that major trunk roads are a problem, and panic if they get away from a three-lane motorway

The A373 is not a trunk road and shouldnt be thought of as a trunk road, yes hgv trafic use it as they do Crediton to Tiverton but it does not make it a trunk road.

Ill stand by my statment, I wouldnt take my pride and joy on that route.

And before I get acused of panicing if off a 3 lane motorway, I drive a hgv 26 ton to 44 ton for a living doing multi drop around this area and have to drive on some prity bad roads, but it doesnt mean I would want to take my caravan on them!!!

KevinH

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Trucker

Thanks for your reply. I've already decided to go from Junction 25, after all if I meet Angus coming the other way I might panic!!!!

Mikey

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Seems reasonable to me!

I won`t expect to see either of you guys at Freshwater East, Trewetthet Farm, Shawsmead, Godrevy Park, Looe, Merrose Farm, Lleithyr Meadow, etc etc etc where the roads are considerably narrower with worse sightlines and junctions then.

More space for me then.

Funny how the sites are always full though........

I don`t have an LGV licence, never have one, never needed one, but the 15 drivers I have seem to have a good appreciation of good and bad roads (moving hazardous bulk loads around the UK, all at 44tonnes GVW), and not one of them class the A373 as bad or difficult, I suppose it depends on what you`re used to, what your expectations are and what your capabilities are.

Perhaps the roads up here are that bad that our view of decent roads is radically different to those in less populated areas.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Angus on the 12 or so miles from Cullompton to Honiton most is absolutly fine however there are 4/5 bits that you would not get 2 caravans passing let alone 2 lorries. If 2 caravans cant pass then its not a good TRUNK road is it. I did say that people use it in hgv but ill stand by what I origonally said which is it is not a trunk road, and to quote myself "alfull IN PARTS"

Im going to Godrevey in june as it happens and know the coast road very well as its only 1 mile up the road it wont be a problem.

Kevin H

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I'm amazed at the debate, over peoples driving ability, that I've raised with my original question. Obviously some people are more proficient than others but surely it doesn't mean everyone who raises a question about road conditions is a completely useless towing driver! For me I just like to make the journey as relaxing as possible without having to squeeze past Mini drivers who think they are in a Hummer although,in my opinion, I'm more than capable.

I've been to Trewetthet farm, Looe(a few times) and I'm off to

Freshwater East later this year. I've only had the van 16 months but yet to find cause to panic although I've seen some driving that sent a few shivers down my back(towing and solo). There's certainly some mad, crazy drivers out there.

By the way I'm yet to see Looe full?

regards

Mikey

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Quote Mikey ...."By the way I'm yet to see Looe full"?

You must have some kind of magic looe then Mikey. Our Thetford fills quick and it's my job to empty it :O(
You've only got yourself to blame going by your name!!

I've got the wife fully trained and a damn fine job she does too.

Mikey

TRENDING THREADS