Front Window Rail Reseal

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Good evening Practical Caravan.

I'm new to the Practical Caravan Forums. We have a Abbey Acclaim SL and I need to tackle removing and replacing the front window rail. Although, luckily, it isn’t letting any water in the gap between the caravan and the rail itself is getting worse.

On closer inspection it looks like someone has, badly, tried to repair it in the past. I’d really appreciate and tips, advise and trick on how to undertake the removal and replacement.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are no "tricks" to do what you want to do.

First of all you need to remove the windows, which may be the type that need lifting above 90 degrees and lifting upwards from the hinge, or you may have to remove end caps and slide the windows out, having first of all, undone the stays inside the van.

Once you have the windows out, remove the herzim infill strip from the centre of the rail and undo the screws , which may probably be rusted and will snap off. then gently ease the rail away from the van without bending it, the use of a lever may be needed gently to break the mastic seal.

Then clean all the old mastic from the rail and van , use white spirit followed by methylate spirit once all the old mastic has been removed, get new stainless steel screws of the same size as those removed (providing the wood they go into is good and not rotted).

Apply a good bead of Soudall Fixall to the rail and refit the rail to the van, easier if there are two of you to hold it.
refit the rail and if necessary drill new holes near any that cannot be reused for any reason.

Refit the herzim strip and refit the windows and stays.

Reactions: ThePilkingtons
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
There are no "tricks" to do what you want to do.

First of all you need to remove the windows, which may be the type that need lifting above 90 degrees and lifting upwards from the hinge, or you may have to remove end caps and slide the windows out, having first of all, undone the stays inside the van.

Once you have the windows out, remove the herzim infill strip from the centre of the rail and undo the screws , which may probably be rusted and will snap off. then gently ease the rail away from the van without bending it, the use of a lever may be needed gently to break the mastic seal.

Then clean all the old mastic from the rail and van , use white spirit followed by methylate spirit once all the old mastic has been removed, get new stainless steel screws of the same size as those removed (providing the wood they go into is good and not rotted).

Apply a good bead of Soudall Fixall to the rail and refit the rail to the van, easier if there are two of you to hold it.
refit the rail and if necessary drill new holes near any that cannot be reused for any reason.

Refit the herzim strip and refit the windows and stays.
Morning Damian,

Just what is was looking for a bit of a ‘step by step’ guide.

if I find the wood has rotted for any reason, I’m assuming I’d have to remove the wall board from inside to replace any battens that are damaged?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It all depends how bad the problem is, if there is a problem.
In very mild cases treating the wood with wood hardener may be enough, but in more serious degradation the stripping out is the only way to remedy , and that means removal of internal wallboard, removal of rotten wood and replace with good.

Getting replacement wall board is the tricky bit, but Magnum Motorhomes stock a lot of wallboard so you may find the exact type or a very similar one.

Reactions: ThePilkingtons
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
It all depends how bad the problem is, if there is a problem.
In very mild cases treating the wood with wood hardener may be enough, but in more serious degradation the stripping out is the only way to remedy , and that means removal of internal wallboard, removal of rotten wood and replace with good.

Getting replacement wall board is the tricky bit, but Magnum Motorhomes stock a lot of wallboard so you may find the exact type or a very similar one.
Nice one Damian this is why these forums are worth while joining. I’ll defiantly check Magnum Motorhomes out. Just as a back up. We’re up this weekend for the bank holiday so will do some more investigating to check the extent of the issue. The walls inside of the caravan are solid with no soft spots so I’m assuming that’s a good sign.

TRENDING THREADS