Fuel queues.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I then spotted two Texaco‘s with no queues.

Could be everyone's fuel tanks are getting fully topped up and the country has not now many more vehicle tanks left to take anymore, till they burn it off?

Both of us though need to find some quite soon, but hopefully the stampede will be over.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could be everyone's fuel tanks are getting fully topped up and the country has not now many more vehicle tanks left to take anymore, till they burn it off?

Both of us though need to find some quite soon, but hopefully the stampede will be over.
Yes once everyone who thinks they need it have topped up they are unlikely to change their driving routine so instead of the fuel sitting in underground tanks it will be in vehicle tanks. Garages will then be able to replenish their stocks but will probably then have lower average daily sales until the system comes back into balance. Few just in time supply chains can realistically cope with a sudden surge in demand that exceeds the ability replenish the reserves.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We are in Wellington and need to tow to Gloucester tomorrow, may or may not have enough fuel. So we set off this morning,. Mistake 1, I found a Tesco Superstore in Taunton, should have looked in more detail as it did not have a forecourt. So a waste of a trip and fuel. But just up the road I found an Esso with a small queue, filled up with little waiting. Cashier said the had taken £17,000 this morning like it was a record. I then spotted two Texaco‘s with no queues.

Panic over.

John
It seems to depend on the area. NW Essex is chaos. The biggest Tesco near me is only supplying emergency and essential workers...

I had to fill yesterday (50 miles to empty) and the large supermarkets in Harwich were total chaos, but the BP station on the A120 en route to Colchester was fine. The supermarkets on the rest of the route were blocking traffic really badly.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not sure how they can do a MOT check on the Jeep if I use the Corolla to get to the garage?

Nor would you presently get the Jeep there for its MOT, if true as stated it is running on fumes.

Hence use this Sunday preempting the issue, using your Corolla to collect adequate diesel fuel.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Nor would you presently get the Jeep there for its MOT, if true as stated it is running on fumes.

Hence use this Sunday preempting the issue, using your Corolla to collect adequate diesel fuel.
Thanks. I did think of that even though we have no containers however no garage within a 20 mile radius has stock of fuel or didn't yesterday. There is a small one pump garage near us that was closed over the weekend so maybe they will have diesel on Monday morning, but they only open at 8am. Worth a try as only 4 miles away and enough to get there and back as computer states 50 miles left in tank despite it showing almost empty. I take that figure with a pinch of salt as vehicle does 30mph on average.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I did think of that even though we have no containers however no garage within a 20 mile radius has stock of fuel or didn't yesterday. There is a small one pump garage near us that was closed over the weekend so maybe they will have diesel on Monday morning, but they only open at 8am. Worth a try as only 4 miles away and enough to get there and back as computer states 50 miles left in tank despite it showing almost empty. I take that figure with a pinch of salt as vehicle does 30mph on average.
They have probably closed so they can change the prices. Dropping your speed by 10 to 15 mph will save a huge amount of fuel. I still have a 380 miles range.
Dont Panic Mr Mannering.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We are in Wellington and need to tow to Gloucester tomorrow, may or may not have enough fuel. So we set off this morning,. Mistake 1, I found a Tesco Superstore in Taunton, should have looked in more detail as it did not have a forecourt. So a waste of a trip and fuel. But just up the road I found an Esso with a small queue, filled up with little waiting. Cashier said the had taken £17,000 this morning like it was a record. I then spotted two Texaco‘s with no queues.

Panic over.

John

Got home no problem, nice pleasant drive. But before leaving someone asked if I had managed to get fuel. So I told him what I reported above. He said he tried all of them, they were empty. He had to look on the motorway. He filled up but at £1.57

John

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Went to fill up my works van yesterday as I was nearly empty, local Esso garage no fuel. So decided on Local garage near me with one pump on forecourt, queued behind 3 taxis, asked the owner why all the taxis.
His reply: they are all from Torquay (6 miles away) as there is no diesel in Torquay at all!!

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to fill up my works van yesterday as I was nearly empty, local Esso garage no fuel. So decided on Local garage near me with one pump on forecourt, queued behind 3 taxis, asked the owner why all the taxis.
His reply: they are all from Torquay (6 miles away) as there is no diesel in Torquay at all!!
Hi Kev i am pleased you manage to fill your works van well done :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got home no problem, nice pleasant drive. But before leaving someone asked if I had managed to get fuel. So I told him what I reported above. He said he tried all of them, they were empty. He had to look on the motorway. He filled up but at £1.57

John
Even in May a motorway price near to Chesterfield was 149.9 for petrol. Diesel more expensive. Needless to say I only put in enough to ensure I got to Pickering with 25% of the tank left.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Up and out this morning at 7.30am to next village to get some diesel. They have been closed since Friday as don't open on weekends so there would be fuel available. Although it was not open there was a queue of cars and amazing every car driver seemed to be a pensioner???
I went off to the Esso station in the next village praying that they would have fuel and if not whether I had enough to return home. Got there and no queue, but diesel at £1.50 a litre so a massive jump in price. Just bought what I needed which was about 15 litres enough to get me to the garage that is doing the MOT check on the Jeep and also to get me to the fuel station in Malvern later in the week.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Up and out this morning at 7.30am to next village to get some diesel. They have been closed since Friday as don't open on weekends so there would be fuel available. Although it was not open there was a queue of cars and amazing every car driver seemed to be a pensioner???
I went off to the Esso station in the next village praying that they would have fuel and if not whether I had enough to return home. Got there and no queue, but diesel at £1.50 a litre so a massive jump in price. Just bought what I needed which was about 15 litres enough to get me to the garage that is doing the MOT check on the Jeep and also to get me to the fuel station in Malvern later in the week.
Just what my granddaughter said yesterday when she turned up for her 0600 start at a Tesco convenience predominant customers for fuel were in her definition “ old people”. Glad you got some though. It will come into balance as there’s only so much people can store in their tanks and I guess they will also modify their driving until there’s confidence that they can fill up again when required.
Today’s big question is will HMRC allow a further deferment to the Stanlow refinery deferred tax payments. It Britain’s sixth largest fuel supplier? Or will it be managed by the Official Receiver? Or perhaps the owners who own hundreds of fuel stations might dig into their pockets.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am pleased you got enough fuel well done :)

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just what my granddaughter said yesterday when she turned up for her 0600 start at a Tesco convenience predominant customers for fuel were in her definition “ old people”. Glad you got some though. It will come into balance as there’s only so much people can store in their tanks and I guess they will also modify their driving until there’s confidence that they can fill up again when required.
Today’s big question is will HMRC allow a further deferment to the Stanlow refinery deferred tax payments. It Britain’s sixth largest fuel supplier? Or will it be managed by the Official Receiver? Or perhaps the owners who own hundreds of fuel stations might dig into their pockets.
Is it really past & present govt's fault that there is a shortage of HGV drivers or is it because their working conditions have not been upgraded along with pay by their employers? TBH I am not sure how the current situation can be blamed on any govt as hauliers are private organistions or businesses.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is it really past & present govt's fault that there is a shortage of HGV drivers or is it because their working conditions have not been upgraded along with pay by their employers? TBH I am not sure how the current situation can be blamed on any govt as hauliers are private organistions or businesses.
It’s not just UK that has a shortage, it’s affecting countries in Europe and the USA too. So could it be that generally the HGV community are ageing and not being replaced with younger drivers, and have the pay and working conditions made it so that it’s not an attractive option for the following generations. My two ex SILs now aged early fifties were long haul HGV drivers and I have to say when they got home they were shattered after being away for extended periods. And despite them driving top spec modern trucks their working life wasn’t what most people would consider a good one. One has now a successful cleaning company and the other went into telecoms installations. But because of Brexit he could no longer work in Europe and IR35 has hit him on return to U.K., so he’s back on the road again working for a quality haulage company.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s not just UK that has a shortage, it’s affecting countries in Europe and the USA too. So could it be that generally the HGV community are ageing and not being replaced with younger drivers, and have the pay and working conditions made it so that it’s not an attractive option for the following generations. My two ex SILs now aged early fifties were long haul HGV drivers and I have to say when they got home they were shattered after being away for extended periods. And despite them driving top spec modern trucks their working life wasn’t what most people would consider a good one. One has now a successful cleaning company and the other went into telecoms installations. But because of Brexit he could no longer work in Europe and IR35 has hit him on return to U.K., so he’s back on the road again working for a quality haulage company.
Talking to my brother in SA about it yesterday and he has a friend that regularly travels over to the US to drive HGVs. Apparently he only works 6 months of the year in the US and then returns to SA for a 6 month holiday. Has a posh car and home.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Talking to my brother in SA about it yesterday and he has a friend that regularly travels over to the US to drive HGVs. Apparently he only works 6 months of the year in the US and then returns to SA for a 6 month holiday. Has a posh car and home.
Clearly the US have no qualms ten about issuing visas to make up for shortages. Six months is a worthwhile time period to people Three months notwithstanding delays in setting the system up may not be sufficient to attract many drivers to come here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts