Further 13 Pin Problems - Sorry!

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've read through the 13 Pin issues higlighted on here but my problem is slightly different. When I purchased my van at the beginning of the year I had to purchase an adaptor to allow the 13 pin socket on the van, fit the 7(I think) output on my car. Whilst on holiday another Caravanner told me my reversing lights weren't working.
Despite changing fuzes and bulbs I hadn't been able to get the lights working.
This week I took the van back to where I got it from to have some minor faults rectified under warranty and mentioned the reversing light problem. The young chap mentioned that it is not possible to ge the reversing lights working with a 7 pin adaptor, as they are connected to the other part of the 13 pin adaptor.
My question is - how simple a job is it to upgarde my 7 pin output on my Landrover to a matching 13 pin output?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Have a look on here
smiley-wink.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If your vehicle only has a single socket, normally Black in colour, that will only supply the road running lights.
To get the reverse lights and fridge and caravan battery charging you need a second socket, normally Grey in colour, or change to a 13 pin single socket and run two seperate ignition controlled feeds in 2.5mm cable from the battery through a switched relay to supply the fridge and charger circuits, along with seperate earth returns for each in 2.5mm cable, and take a feed from the reverse lights in the car (you dont need a return for the reverse lights as they will use the already present earth from the other road lights.)

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sproket,

I read that article. But the problem I have is the vehicle has only one black socket. I suppose what I'm really asking is how easy is it to conver to a single 13 pin socket?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Easy
smiley-laughing.gif

If you only have the 12N socket ?
Just put the wires into the apropriate hole as per drawing
smiley-wink.gif

You will only have power to those pins, it will work ok
smiley-laughing.gif

Or are you wanting everything to work ?

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sproket,

The wiring diagram will come in handy - I think I'll start with purchasing a 13 pin socket, then take it from there. Txs, (again), probably owe you a beer by now!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi,
a couple of things to consider, (first) what do you want it to do ??
as your van is a 2008 and fitted with a 13pin plug it will allready be fully wired into the plug,
so assuming since you bought it earlier in the year and have towed it with an adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRICS-CONVERTER-13-pin-Trailer-Caravan-Plug-adapter-to-7-pin-Towbar-Socket-/120858776843?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item1c23be950b like this and been happy that only the road lights are working "no fridge or charging circuit"
then Damian's suggestion should do and work fine ie. replace the 7pin socket with a 13pin one and only using the 7pin wires + reversing lights and I would suggest however there is a problem with this, and that is towbar electrics are now part of the MOT so if you have a 13pin socket it must work correctly as it is tested no such test is required for a 7pin socket as only the security and condition is looked at.
with this in mind it may be prudent to fit the 13pin socket and have it completely wired up to suit the van, it is not a difficult job and takes about an hour. I recently did mine and the longest job was removing and replacing the car rear body work? you will however need the correct 13 pin wire and a smart relay to power the charging and fridge circuit,

(second) if you dont really want to go the whole hog of a 13pin socket one alternative would be to fit a grey 12s socket alongside the black one 12n and only wire the components you wish to use like reversing lights then using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-Electric-Adapter-13-Pin-Car-to-12N-12S-Caravan-/150900579154?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2322601b52

connect the 13pin van plug to the 2 car plugs and away you go

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
towbar electrics are now part of the MOT so if you have a 13pin socket it must work correctly as it is tested no such test is required for a 7pin socket as only the security and condition is looked at.

Only the road lights in the 13 pin plug are tested on the MOT. (i.e. the circuits present in the old 7N plug. Reverse lights in the 13 pin are not required to be wired up)

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
Only the road lights in the 13 pin plug are tested on the MOT. (i.e. the circuits present in the old 7N plug. Reverse lights in the 13 pin are not required to be wired up)
hi, that is correct but as with anything to do with Mot's if it's there it must work
considering the OP question was about reversing lights in first place ie Quote "
I've read through the 13 Pin issues higlighted on here but my problem
is slightly different. When I purchased my van at the beginning of the
year I had to purchase an adaptor to allow the 13 pin socket on the van,
fit the 7(I think) output on my car. Whilst on holiday another
Caravanner told me my reversing lights weren't working.
Despite changing fuzes and bulbs I hadn't been able to get the lights working.
This
week I took the van back to where I got it from to have some minor
faults rectified under warranty and mentioned the reversing light
problem. The young chap mentioned that it is not possible to ge the
reversing lights working with a 7 pin adaptor, as they are connected to
the other part of the 13 pin adaptor.
My question is - how simple a job is it to upgarde my 7 pin output on my Landrover to a matching 13 pin output?
It would be rather odd if all the trouble went through to get the reverse lights working and then not wire them.up wouldn't it???
the point also is surely if one is going to rewire the car socket to 13 pin to match the van and only wire up the road lights . why bother!!!!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Stevearty........to answer your question!

The upgrade from a 7 pin system to a 13 pin system is only a simple job if you know what you are doing.
The fact that you have already towed your caravan trying to match the two systems and expecting your reversing lights to work, tells me you don't ......... sorry to be blunt.

You should get your Land Rover wired with a 13 pin socket by a professional.
Personally I would not have this done by the dealer who sold you the caravan as he should have pointed all this out to you at the time of purchase.
The fact that he did not shows a degree of incompetence.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
hi, that is correct but as with anything to do with Mot's if it's there it must work
[/quote]
I totally agree Colin. I was merely pointing out that the reverse circuit on a 13 pin plug is not a testable item.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
If your vehicle only has a single socket, normally Black in colour, that will only supply the road running lights.
To get the reverse lights and fridge and caravan battery charging you need a second socket, normally Grey in colour, or change to a 13 pin single socket and run two seperate ignition controlled feeds in 2.5mm cable from the battery through a switched relay to supply the fridge and charger circuits, along with seperate earth returns for each in 2.5mm cable, and take a feed from the reverse lights in the car (you dont need a return for the reverse lights as they will use the already present earth from the other road lights.)
Sorry Damian-Moderator. This information seems incorrect.
01) Your car may have the wiring from the battery installed at the factory (Volvo does this) you only have to connect at the rear of the car.
02) One live feed is ignition controlled and the other is a permanent live to the van. Hence the atc goes through self check etc when the car is plugged in with the ignition switched off. Also the vans lighting will work when the ignition is off and no leisure battery is connected in the van

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many cars have the wiring loom connectors built in, Volvo being the main one who do not include the fridge or battery charger circuits, along with most European made vehicles. It is always important to actually specify to the person fitting the tow bar that you want a FULLY WIRED system, not just the "off the shelf" adaptor loom as normally supplied.

You are right about one permanent feed and one switched feed
I made a mistake of sorts but have a lot more to worry about to be honest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts