Galaxy diagnostic codes/probs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Have just had a diagnostic check on my 2005 Galaxy 1.9TDI as very occasionally (twice since Christmas) we have experienced a loss of power, ie turbo doesn't feel as if its working. Once the engine is turned off and re-started, its fine. We had a similar problem last year when we still had dealers warranty, work was done which, surprise surprise wasn't covered. (Always the way!!) Diagnostic check revealed same problem as last year, codes were P1150 and P1570. Dealer said we needed same work as last year costing about £180, but when told we had the work done with them, literally 2 mins later decided in that case that a new turbo was needed for £2258. (not a typing error!!!)
The car runs like a dream, not overly concerned, annoying though that had we had new turbo last year, warranty would've covered it. Am off to Vendee in 2 weeks, should I be worried or just take it as it comes?? Have looked on Ford forums, seems to be a common occurence. Any one had similar? Turbos rarely go wrong, or so I thought.
Simon V

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Simon
Just googled it, seems to point towards possible blocked EGR valve, there is a link here how to clean it. Loads more info on google.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/cleanintake%20pumpe.htm
Good luck.
Phil

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You have sticking turbo vanes,they get coated in soot and cause the turbo to start over boosting,ECU sees this and takes the car into limited operation mode "limp mode".
have you been driving it slowly since the dealer did what he did last year? What did he actually do? and what mileage is your car on?
If he feels the turbo is shot,why does he think its shot? It need cleaning out there are solutions out there,and also you could help by revving the engine up to 3000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear all the time once the engine is warmed up. this might trigger "limp mode" so just pull over and do it all again over and over again occasionally going upto 3500rpm, this will usually free up the turbo vanes,even better put the van on the back as this will load the engine up even more.Whatever you do dont go paying out 2k for a turbo. I wil found a link to that soot solution its about £50 and if you dont have the greatest of confidence in doing the job you might need a couple of hours of a decent mechanic. here is one but there are many out there. good luck
http://www.innotecworld.com/c-1064-turbo-clean-set.aspx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Looks a messy job, probably beyond me, but I know a man who can!! Will probably get him to take a look, 2nd opinion and all that, but probably after France me thinks. Thanks Phil
Simon V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Car has done 57k, lots of life left in the beast I think. Last time, dealer put in new sensors and valves. This helped, but a few months later it didn't 'feel' quite right. After the diagnostic last week, car has run like new, have gone into limp mode briefly twice since Christmas. Only took it in last week to put my mind at rest before long haul to Vendee in 2 weeks with wife and kids in tow!! Everyone seems to thnk it is fixable with a bit of a clean etc. I did get the revs up to about 3500 after the diag, no probs. Think I will take a chance to France as there appears no prob at the mo!! 2 grand for a turbo is NOT an option that I have!! If someone was to give you a test drive in it tomorrow you wouldn't even know. Other people seem to get the same problem on a bigger scale, I think I'm perhaps being over cautious? Many thanks for info so far Jonny
Simon V

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just keep working that engine upto 3000rpm when warm, i know they dont need to normally but it will help, when mine did it it too did it more so in the winter colder months then it started to do it occassionally in the summer when i floored the throttle in 3rd or 4th.surprisingly never when towing.
I gave it repeated what is called "Italian tune ups" and for the last 6 months off ownership it ran fine. that was a galaxy 115. 2001 model.
My 05 alhambra with 120k 130bhp runs fine but i do still once a week rev it,cause i do short journeys which are where the soot builds up.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
As well as the above one thing worth trying and should be done periodically anyway with a vw pd engine is a top end set,in other words valve clearence and injector preload.This may clean things up a bit and cut down on the emissions some what.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Deli Dave_374550494 said:
http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=5920&hl=turbo%20sticking&st=0

Reading this might give you some info,Ive got a similar galaxy and get a lot of info off here
Poor sod who posted last on page 6,ended up buying a recon turbo! and was then told his original problem was down to a blocked Oil pipe! Highly unlikely oil starvation would have the turbo wreaked In days if not minutes.
As you can see its difficult for garages to diagnose these days with all the controls in place on a modern engine.
N57 valve is easy to check its a vacuum pump so to speak hidden in the bulk head of the Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharon,if you can get hold of a schematic from one of those types of forums,you will see there is another vacuum control identical to the N57,close by,cannot remember what thats for,but you can change them over so eliminating the N57 valve or possibly proving thats at fault for an hour of your time at no parts cost.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jonny I rented a lead to try to read codes with VAG Tacho from the galaxy owners site but it wouldnt read any codes at all,have you had any experience of using VAGcom or tacho ,have an 04 galaxy130

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jonny I rented a lead to try to read codes with VAG Tacho from the galaxy owners site but it wouldnt read any codes at all,have you had any experience of using VAGcom or tacho ,have an 04 galaxy130
you have the same engine spec as me.Who did you rent the lead off? was it to ELM327 spec? Do you have Vagcom loaded on your laptop? Cheap leads can give problems, i have a Elm 327 blue tooth, cost £25 off Ebay,it works but i doubt it is an original proper Elm 327.and plenty of reports out there about clone Elm 327 interfaces not working.Also i assume you have the limited free version of Vagcom from ross? is it a copy of a copy or do you know the program is ok?.also your laptop what windows is it running,do you have the right vagcom for what ever windows your laptop has on it There are a good number of VW based sites as the stuff is VW based and these lads are a vast experience of proplems and fixing them its a great place to get the info from.
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153773

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jonny

Just bought an Innotec cleaning kit via internet for £40, my local mechanic seems to think this will do the trick. Hopefully it will be here mid week so that he can do the work Friday. Then, all systems go for the Vendee a week Thursday!! :)

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I rented it from one of the mods,Mirez who sent Vagtacho on a memory stick and tried it on laptop and netbook with windows 7 and couldnt get it to start up.Wanted to alter the eprom to give the miles to empty feature that is on VW and Seat but not ford.

Thanks for the link I'll have a read through the forums and see what I can find.I know someone who works in the training school at fords in Daventry so Ill try and borrow a genuine lead,but Mirez checked the lead on return and said it was fine and has rented it before with no probs so whether my connection socket has some damage ?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I rented it from one of the mods,Mirez who sent Vagtacho on a memory stick and tried it on laptop and netbook with windows 7 and couldnt get it to start up.Wanted to alter the eprom to give the miles to empty feature that is on VW and Seat but not ford.

Thanks for the link I'll have a read through the forums and see what I can find.I know someone who works in the training school at fords in Daventry so Ill try and borrow a genuine lead,but Mirez checked the lead on return and said it was fine and has rented it before with no probs so whether my connection socket has some damage ?

They do need to be plugged in correctly.That might sound daft but the elm 327 i got worked fine in the Alhambra, but didn't seem to work on my mondeo when linked to the "torque"app i have on my phone!Guess what having read this thread i went out today and tried it again in the mondeo, it seemed to click in better and now works!
If you have a android phone check out the "torque" app in there market place, free version is good but the full version is better and only about £3. you do need a blue tooth Elm 327, about £23/25. But i would think you would be looking at one of these sockets anyway instead of a lead for Vagcom..

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I kept a copy of vagtacho and the code listing to rewrite so I'll have a look for a blutooth connector,can you post a link to your supplier to make sure I get a good one if you get a chance.Thanks for your advice,have got a vagcom lead that doesnt work as well that I might try replugging.Can you leave the elm connector in situ once you get a good connection is it very large.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi dave. this is where i got my Elm 327, blue tooth. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluetooth-v1-4-ELM327-Diagnostic-interface-OBD2-CAN-/250789652037?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a643a6645
They are about the size of a swan box of matches,slightly thicker but not as wide.You can leave them plugged in but they will draw about a watt or 2 so not good for the battery long term.
I might be confusing you here as there is no reason why this would not work with vagcom,it does with mine,but i bought this because i wanted blue tooth and i wanted to run OBD style stuff on my phone. same place does sell what one would call proper VW leads,and does give back up. Basically either way is a cheap option,and if you still have a lead i would try it again,you never know.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
It looks good and I paid about £12 in postage to rent the tacho lead so the price is good.As I undersatnd it vagcom asccesses the fault codes but you need vagtacho to rewrite the eprom and the pins are configured differently so if the elm one can run tacho its a bargain.
Thanks for your help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Just a quick update if anyone is interested. Got my Innotec turbo cleaner this Tuesday via E-Bay, had someone clean the turbo today using aforementioned kit. Wow! Thats all I can say. Thought Galaxy was running ok before, it's a new car now. No very slight juddering whilst accelerating at 25-30mph, great acceleration on motorway, 4th gear from 40- *0mph without missing a beat. Sorry about the missed number, don't want to condone too much speed usage
smiley-sealed.gif
. Hopefully all well for France on Thursday, looking forward to it with confidence now. Over 2K for a turbo??? Pah, hopefully £80 incl labour.
Happy hols all!!
smiley-cool.gif

Simon V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Just back from the Vendee, car didn't miss a beat, just sticky turbo vanes!! 1500 miles, ran like a dream, in fact better fuel consumption than last year and with a heavier van!! Ford dealers? Pah!
smiley-yell.gif
Always worth a little bit of leg work, sometimes saves a bit. Probably saved enough for next years 'biggy'!
Simon V

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts