Galaxy V Captiva

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Swift Conquerer 540, 1600 mtplm.
I have narrowed my next towcar to either new Ford Galaxy tdci 163bhp auto or new Chevrolet captiva 2.2 tdi 4x4 manual.
My heart says the Chevrolet for its better weight, 4X4 and comfort. My head says ford for it's space and economy.
I cant find any revieues for the Chevy.

Any views welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If economy is a significant factor, then consider what proportion of your annual milage is done towing, for most it is less than 10%, so that means 90% of the time its solo driving.
But whatever the proportion is I'd wager the Galaxy will be more economical, and cheaper to run in most respects. I'd also guess that the Galaxy will feel more comfortable as its design will not have been compromised to include all the extra 4x4 gear and tyres.
You will still get the raised driving position, and the load capacity for moving you children to and from university etc.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You might find some reviews of the Vauxhall Antara, it's just a different version of the Chevrolet Captiva, both built by GM-Daewoo in Korea.
If you want a heavy 4wd, don't ignore the Hyundai Santa Fe and it's sibling Kia Sorento.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't comment on the Chevy, but having just handed back a lease Galaxy tdci (the 140 hp version) after 4 years and 80k miles I can recommend it as a towcar. We did some long trips towing a 1500kg van with the Galaxy, including Spain (twice), Italy, and France (several times). Short of a full fat 4x4 it's probably the best towcar I've had, its stable, the boot is massive with the back 2 seats folded away, has plenty of power, and was pretty good (45 mpg solo/25-35 towing depending on how fast I drove) on diesel too. It was 100% reliable too, the only thing it needed over 80k other than servicing and tyres was a tail light bulb.

The only things I didn't like was the lack of a spare wheel, plus I felt the reverse gear was geared quite high so it was hard to reverse the outfit onto a pitch without being a bit abusive on the clutch. And for a relatively expensive car (mine was £25k+ and for that wasn't overly well equipped) some of the trim is a bit cheap and didn't wear well. However, if I needed another 7 seat full sized mpv it's be first choice on my list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts