Gas bottles

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I carry two x 6Kg calor light bottles but I'm told (by calor) that refills are only available in the UK and Eire.
Does anyone know of a solution to this as we're off on an extended trip to Portugal early 2017 and I don't really want to have to change the system. Any gas bottles with the same (anti clockwise) thread attachment available ?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a problem lots of people have Eric, as each country seems to have its ownbrands, and none of them are interchangeable (either physically or commercially).
Unfortunately the only exchange bottles you can get all over Europe are Campingaz, which are small and VERY expensive.
Personally, I went for a Gaslow refillable system. A bottle sits in the cupboard as for Calor etc, but never comes out again. A refill point on the outside of the van allows me to top up anywhere LPG is sold, whether as road fuel or for domestic use. Easy on the muscles, no waste (by exchanging not-quite-empty bottles), no national boundaries, and best of all the gas is FAR cheaper than any "bottle-swap" system.
I've no personal experience of Portugal yet, but over the years I've refilled with no problems everywhere from Spain to Hungary.
Other brands are available.

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Tony,
I appreciate the info. It's as I suspected.
Stupidly, when I bought this motorhome, it had a Gaslow system installed. As I had a couple of 6kg lightweight bottles from my previous motorhome, I asked the dealer to remove the Gaslow system ! Yes, I regret it now.
I've added a 13kg bottle to the 2x6kg bottles today...,but I don't know how long they'll last on a cold spell of weather in early 2017.
They do say one learns by ones mistakes.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I sympathise - I've made plenty myself, and not always learned from them!
If your van is a modern one (not sure of the cut off date, but maybe around 10yrs ago now) the regulator will be a universal one, fixed to the bulkhead, with just a connecting pipe specific to Calor.
If that's the case, and you've room for all three, why not leave the 13 at home this trip, just take the two (full) 6s, and buy a Portuguese bottle and connecting pipe when you get there?

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
We did just like Tony has said but as we always go via France to any part of Europe we purchased a French Le Cube bottle and pigtail as you can replace them at almost any supermarket in France, did this just the other day and the gas works out much cheaper than calor as well. When we go to Spain in the winter we get a fresh Le Cube close to Spain and with a normally full calor lite as well we are fine for many weeks. Cannot get a 13K in our locker.

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Joe,
This info is really appreciated. So, I'll go down this route for the first trip.
I'm thinking of having a refillable system installed sometime next year. That'll be another headache no doubt !

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Came across a guy on this trip who had a gaslow fitted and he was having problems re filling in France, I am not sure if you ever get your moneys worth out of one unless you do loads of wild camping by loads I mean 6 months plus every year for many years not one or two. We wild camp use aires and French Passion plus campsites for over 20 weeks a year in Europe plus weeks in the UK but each to their own.
What ever have fun that's the main thing.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Must admit I've never done the sums on this Joe, but our single Gaslow bottle always does at least a week, cooking, washing up, and both showering every morning. And when I refill it, it's never cost me more than £7 when completely empty. Can't remember now how much the installation cost when we bought the van, but that was a moment when we temporarily had the money to spend, and I'm happy that we used it to reduce ongoing expenses in what have sometimes been tighter times!
But of course I rarely run it to empty, because whatever's left when I top up is still mine, there's no handing in a not-quite-empty bottle. And I love not having to physically move bottles around.
I do carry a tiny Campingaz 901 (and adapter), which would give us 24 hours if we ran out, but in 8 years I think I've only used that twice.

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm now of the opinion that it may be worth me carrying a standard bottle (a 6kg light) in addition to having a Gaslow system installed next year. How does that sound to you ?
Another couple of points to throw into the discussion;
1/ Doing my research, I notice Gaslow and Gasit systems. The Gasit seems cheaper, but don't know anything except the advertising claims.
2/ A comment from my local calor depot regarding lightweight bottles last week was, "I don't know how long they'll be available, they've not been very popular" Anyone else heard this comment ?

May 15, 2015
Visit site
If you are going to the Algarve then there is a LPG station near Olhao that will refill any type of bottle. It's at Quelfes, anyone will point you in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts