Gas Regulators

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just ordered a new caravan and was told that due to the gas regulator being fixed in the front box I could no lonbger stand a gas bottle outside of my caravan as the hose provided is only 450 mm long forcing people to use the 7 or 13 kilo bottles inside the front box. Has any body had this problem or are extra long pipes available?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to your query about gas regulators,no you cannot stand a large bottle outside your van,I think this system was brought into use to stop the highly dangerous practice of carrying large bottles on their side in car or van because of the chances of leaking valves,sorry about the bad news but that's progress.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to your query about gas regulators,no you cannot stand a large bottle outside your van,I think this system was brought into use to stop the highly dangerous practice of carrying large bottles on their side in car or van because of the chances of leaking valves,sorry about the bad news but that's progress.
Longest one that I know is available is 1.5m from Gaslow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What you have been told is essential true but something less than the whole truth?. The 'recommended' (it is not a legal requirement), lenght of hose is 450mm but longer ones are available up to 1.5m however there are pitfall in using longer hoses.

The pressure in the hose is now at the full bottle pressure which can be as high as 250psi with propane on a hot day!!. The hose of any length is well within its capabilitys even at these high pressures but is far more exposed to damage the longer the hose becomes.

What I am saying is that with care you can legally use a longer hose but you must be fully aware of the far greater dangers of a leak though neglect or otherwise at these high pressures.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
You can replace 450mm hose for a longer one, but all caravans come supplied with the 450mm length.

It's a legal requirement that the caravan be supplied with the shorter hose now, but can be replaced later on. Strange, obviously.

The idea is you can't make your own length any more, people used to have hose as long as 6 metres, when it was always stated anything over 3 meters was unsafe, although not illegal even so.

A van older than the 2004 models will more than likely not have a built in regulator on board, so allowing you to use any length of hose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I assume that the gas bottle is to be used for BBQ etc.

What is to stop you taking a bottle of gas fitted with a regulator at the valve end and using that, because that is what you do if you want to run a BBQ or Patio Heater in your Garden.

if you want to run the caravan off a larger canister then you run into problems although I can't see why you would want the hassle and xtra wgt to do that.Regards IMHO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts