Gaslow systems

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone any experience of the Gaslow Refillable systems. Looking at the website, the price of gas is minimal in comparison to a cylinder swap with Calor, but there is the extra setup costs to be allowed for. How easy are they to fill, and how few and far between are the companies that fill them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cheaper to buy a refillable Safefill bottle system which is portable and can be filled at any Morrisons store plus other outlets. Our 7kg bottle costs us less than £100 to refill. The last time we topped up it was about £5.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Cheaper to buy a refillable Safefill bottle system which is portable and can be filled at any Morrisons store plus other outlets. Our 7kg bottle costs us less than £100 to refill. The last time we topped up it was about £5.

Not at mine either. But at less than £100 I think I will stick with Calor. :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
But at less than £100 I think I will stick with Calor.

Ouch, I thought £25 was expensive. They are quoting about £6-7.00 for Gaslow.

Edit, having checked the prices, its a typo I think, Im guessing Buckman meant £10

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the older red Safefill cylinder 15ltr/8.6kg costs around £8.50 to fill, It has now paid for itself, it has to re-tested in 2022, so will just buy another cylinder. When you fill at Morrisons you have to let the cashier know before filling, I am just told 'OK no problem'

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We caravan throughout the year but with EHU. I buy two 6 kg propane’s per annum on average. Why bother with anything else :eek:hmy:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
We caravan throughout the year but with EHU. I buy two 6 kg propane’s per annum on average. Why bother with anything else :eek:hmy:

I am with DD, I would have to be using an awfull lot of gas, and we BBQ a lot, to warrant buying the system , then pay to have your bottle checked, Sticking to Calor.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
It all depends. We can go through 6kg in a weekend therefore a refillable system can make a lot of sense for us. Obviously if you are tethered to the orange umbilical cord Calor does make sense. But you are missing out.

Ps posted from a warm van beautiful view no hook up.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats alot of gas in aweekend, even on 6 amps in winter and cooking on gas and heating on gas and 4 amp we can go well over two to three weeks on a 6kg calor.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Boff said:
It all depends. We can go through 6kg in a weekend therefore a refillable system can make a lot of sense for us. Obviously if you are tethered to the orange umbilical cord Calor does make sense. But you are missing out.

In warm van doors open and skylight. No heat required. No EHU power or gas being used.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Boff said:

I hope you don’t have a gas leak :woohoo:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just some rough figures

LPG is sold by weight, which is the most consistent way of providing a measurable quantity, as it is not dependant on pressure or temperature of the fluid.

1Kg of LPG can release approximately 46 MJ of energy. That equates to about 12.5kWh. In practice a worst case scenario with all the gas appliances running at their lowest permitted efficiency of 70% that would release 8.75kWh of energy into the caravan. ( in practice many modern appliances do much better than 70%)

You would need to run a n EHU at 3kW for 2.9 hours to obtain an equivalent amount of electrical energy as 1kg of LPG.

If a 6kg bottle of gas were used that would be at least 52.5kWH of effective heat energy used, or 75kWH of gas used

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Boff said:

Istill think that 6 kg for a weekend is high usage, but we only keep our van at 18 c. Anyway enjoy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So, back to reality , rather than theory, how much are you paying for a Non EHU, on average?

EHU. 6/10 amp may Be £12 to 18 per night. .NOT everyone's thing. . 6kg of calor £24 . So £12 per night, Lets see who thinks what. :p
Lets not be nasty just real.
I have yet to do an Non EHU. Just wish I could have the time to doit

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:
Cheaper to buy a refillable Safefill bottle system which is portable and can be filled at any Morrisons store plus...

Not at mine!

Why not? Have you tried there to see if it is allowed? All Morrisons stores with LPG pumps have been notified in writing that Safefill users can refill bottles.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
So, back to reality , rather than theory, how much are you paying for a Non EHU, on average?

EHU. 6/10 amp may Be £12 to 18 per night. .NOT everyone's thing. . 6kg of calor £24 . So £12 per night, Lets see who thinks what. :p
Lets not be nasty just real.
I have yet to do an Non EHU. Just wish I could have the time to doit

6kg of Calor £24 sounds about right. 6kg of gas is as near makes no difference 12litres, actually 12l weighs slightly more than 6kg. Gas at my local Morrison’s is currently 55.7p/l that makes my 6kg cost £6.68. Fact not theory. If you go off grid in all weathers then you can use a lot of gas. Obviously paying £12 a night extra is not viable, but a refillable makes sense. If you are always on Ehu and use a bottle a year then paying for a refillable makes no sense at all.

Not quite sure why non ehu takes time?
Ps currently in the van off ehu the sun is shining, and the only sound I can hear, bird song. The van is warm, the fridge is cold life is good and no I don’t expect to use 6kg of gas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:
Cheaper to buy a refillable Safefill bottle system which is portable and can be filled at any Morrisons store plus...

Not at mine!

Why not? Have you tried there to see if it is allowed? All Morrisons stores with LPG pumps have been notified in writing that Safefill users can refill bottles.

Quite simply your statement said you can refill at ANY Morrison's, and as none of my nearest Morrison's sells LPG I couldn't fill one at mine!.

You have now qualified your original statement by adding all stores with LPG pumps which confirms that you can't refill at ANY Morrison's only some.

In my case it's irrelevant anyway as I don't have a refillable bottle. :S

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just checked up, our closest Morrisons for Safefill is over 20 miles away, so round trip to refill looses any advantage, and the same with Gaslow. Also the same with BP lite.
Win some lose some. Stick to EHU and BBQ using calor.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Just checked up, our closest Morrisons for Safefill is over 20 miles away, so round trip to refill looses any advantage, and the same with Gaslow. Also the same with BP lite.

I understand that Calor's replacement for the Calorlite will be a grp cylinder similar to BP's and Safefill, but of course it will be filled by Calor. So we await Spring 2019 with interest and hang on tightly to the calorlite.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand that Calor's replacement for the Calorlite will be a grp cylinder similar to BP's and Safefill, but of course it will be filled by Calor. So we await Spring 2019 with interest and hang on tightly to the calorlite.[/quote]

Just been on Calor web site and they say that calor lite can be change free of charge in the QA section, until the very last sentence when they say prove of purchase needed, which rules me out, as I just changed my old cylinders for Calor-lite. Never had a agreement for years.

PS Our Morrisons don't even have a filling station.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
I understand that Calor's replacement for the Calorlite will be a grp cylinder similar to BP's and Safefill, but of course it will be filled by Calor. So we await Spring 2019 with interest and hang on tightly to the calorlite.

Just been on Calor web site and they say that calor lite can be change free of charge in the QA section, until the very last sentence when they say prove of purchase needed, which rules me out, as I just changed my old cylinders for Calor-lite. Never had a agreement for years.

PS Our Morrisons don't even have a filling station.[/quote]

My caravan service dealer has my Calorlite purchase on their system against my records. So should get any new ones FOC except for the fill charge. Fingers crossed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True, as long as you have a calor lite, no problem, but if you change a lite for a heavy, you need to get a validation form when you change it to enable to get a new "type" of lite if we ever get them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

Not sure any one would worry about filling up when at home. We wait until we are out and about with the caravan and then fill up our Safefill. :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:

Not at mine!

Quite simply your statement said you can refill at ANY Morrison's, and as none of my nearest Morrison's sells LPG I couldn't fill one at mine!.

You have now qualified your original statement by adding all stores with LPG pumps which confirms that you can't refill at ANY Morrison's only some.

In my case it's irrelevant anyway as I don't have a refillable bottle. :S

If you do not have a Safefill bottle and no experience in refilling them, why did you bother to post? :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts