GB stickers

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Advice please. If you have a new style numberplate with Euro stars and GB on it, do you need a sticker on back of vehicle/caravan also? I think not, but I might be wrong. Thanks

Wendy

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
WendyLois,

No you don't need a GB sticker if you have the "euro" plates. Make sure that you have the plates on both the car and caravan though.

Regards

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So long as you tour within the EU you don't need a sticker if you have proper Euro star number plates with a GB (flags, emblems, etc. are not acceptable).

G

Of course once we are independent the SCO plate will be valid as well.

'Bring it on' Alex

G

Even the lunatics in Brussels are not that stupid. What let them give up a captive pax paying audience, I doubt it. Scotland would be welcomed into the fold as quick as you could say Jacques Delors.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

YES you do need a GB sticker or magnetic plate to be legal. It seems our Great British goverment did not sign up to the Euro designate plate which means that in thory you can be pulled for not having a G.B plate even though you have Euro plates. I have drove for God's knows how many years on Euro plates and never been pulled for it,but if a local French Bobby is looking for bonus or promotion you never know! you could be next.

Any way apart from Euro plates I have a G.B sticker mounted centrally at the rear of the van and a magnetic version on the N/S of the rear of the vehicle.

Any way have a good time the chances are low but just blame our great British goverment for not confirming what is and what is not correct(legal).

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I find that difficult to believe. Can you reference the source of your information?

All I know is that there are many 'look alike' Euro number plates in circulation in the UK which, although similar, do not comply with the requirements and would therefore need to have a GB sticker as well. But those that do comply should be accepted.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Dear all,

The following is the current legislation from the UK/GOV/DVLA site and confirms there is no need for a seperate GB sticker if driving within the EU, if you have the Euro plates fitted.......

Since 1st September 2001 there has been an optional provision for the display of a Euro-plate for vehicles registered in the UK.

The Euro-plate is a number plate that incorporates the symbol of the European Union (a circle of 12 stars on a blue background) with the national identification letters of the member states below.

This symbol is located on the far left-hand side of the number plate.

Vehicles displaying this symbol no longer have to use the traditional oval shaped national identifier(GB) sticker when travelling within the European Union.

All vehicles registered in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have, by international convention, the distinguishing sign GB.

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of nationalflags and symbols on vehicle number plates.

When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon.

Football team crests etc are not allowed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Regarding: The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of nationalflags and symbols on vehicle number plates.

When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon.

This makes number plates with national flags and symbols legal in the UK but not legal without a GB sticker on the Continent.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Regarding: The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of nationalflags and symbols on vehicle number plates.

This makes number plates with national flags and symbols legal in the UK but not legal without a GB sticker on the Continent.
Yup, That's my interpretation too !

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I display my GB plate and my cars and caravan have plain plates fitted.

There is no way I am going to display any Euro markings as long as I can avoid it.

Just proudly dsplay your GB plates and wave the traditional UK hand signal towards the morons in Brussels.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I couldn't care less what markings are on my number plates so long as they are legal. Don't why they bother distinguishing between different countries. Probably only has something to do with keeping the administration busy.

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
Dear all,

The following is the current legislation from the UK/GOV/DVLA site and confirms there is no need for a seperate GB sticker if driving within the EU, if you have the Euro plates fitted.......

Since 1st September 2001 there has been an optional provision for the display of a Euro-plate for vehicles registered in the UK.

The Euro-plate is a number plate that incorporates the symbol of the European Union (a circle of 12 stars on a blue background) with the national identification letters of the member states below.

This symbol is located on the far left-hand side of the number plate.

Vehicles displaying this symbol no longer have to use the traditional oval shaped national identifier(GB) sticker when travelling within the European Union.

All vehicles registered in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have, by international convention, the distinguishing sign GB.

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of nationalflags and symbols on vehicle number plates.

Football team crests etc are not allowed.
Why do NI cars display GB on their number when NI is not a part of Great Britain? It is however in the UK.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lutz,

Re GB - It's probably because the UK drive on the opposite side of the road to the rest of the EU and it helps identify the fact that the driver may not be as used to the roads as others.

I know that is a generalisation and that a lot of members will be well used to foreign driving, but others may not be so experienced or confident and an identifyer will alert other motorists to that possibility.

I certainly give eastern-euro HGV's a wider berth than normal when they are over here.

It's a bit like a learner driver in the UK displaying "L" plates to let others around them know that their driving may be a bit erratic or sub standard, enabling us to treat them accordingly.

I imagine that this will not be as big an issue crossing Country borders on the euro mainland, at least until you venture across the North Sea.

Regards,

Ken.

G

It is all part of the EU superplan to take over control of the UK. They only want it because we pay so much damm money into keeping the lazy continentals in luxury.

If Brown had the b...s he would tell them to stuff the payment up their derriers until they behave themselves, but he won't. Bring back Maggie and her handbag.

They (our corrupt politicians) keep telling us the EU is our biggest market. That is absolute rubbish. We are the EU's biggest and certainly most profitable market. Just look at your electricity bill.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
A few weeks ago we were travelling back from Belgium via Calais for the ferry home, the French Police were doing a roadside vehicle a documents check, lots of cars pulled in at random including us, just took about five minutes and we had no problems. The OH who speaks french was told by the officer that throughout that afternoon they had fined several uk drivers who just had SCO or CYM on their numberplates but no actual GB plates on the vehicle. Throughout our week away i noticed lots of UK cars without GB plates,Why when you can often get GB's free do uk drivers not display them,apathy? just cant be bothered, Well the French Police were on to a nice little earner that afternoon. You have been warned!

Apr 7, 2006
Visit site
Why do NI cars display GB on their number when NI is not a part of Great Britain? It is however in the UK.
i hope my hubby does not read this when he comes in from work NI is part of GB unless someone has moved it.... on this subject my parents have a motorhome registered in the ISLE OF MAN and the GBM on the number plate has never caused them problems any where in Europe or North Africa.. Sheila

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts