Generators

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Victor, the problem with ANY generator is the noise they produce, no matter how loud or how quiet, they eventually become a nuisance and many sites either have bans on using them , or have strict time limits of use.

To the point of your post:

2 Stroke: Tend to be noisier than 4 stroke, use a petrol/oil mix, so tend to be smellier emissions, need very regular servicing and suffer more breakdowns in their lifetime, also, output can be more erratic than a 4 stroke.

4 stroke: tend to be quieter, use petrol only as fuel, so cleaner emissions, longer maintainence periods, output can be more stable than 2 stroke.

Cost to run:

2 Stroke,around 60p per hour plus oil

4 Stroke around 62 p per hour

both tyoes,add servicing and repairs, plus,remember to allow the extra weight when calculating van loading, including carrying petrol, in the car or van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Victor

I cannot confirm Damians figures, but clearly the cost would change dependant on the size of generator and and load you apply to it.

Before you buy a generator carefully consider what you actually need it for. Most sites these days offer mains hook ups, which will usually provide up to 3kW of power. By comparison the typical caravan generator will only provide 750W (0.75kW) of power so it is not a complete alternative to the mains hook up.

Modern caravans offer many items of equipment that are duel fuelled. Fridges tend to have 3 way power (12V dc 230V ac & gas), Water heaters and space heaters, 2 way (230V ac & Gas). There are many 12V dc/230V ac televisions & VCRs' available.

So if mains power is not available there is usually a sensible alternative to resorting to a generator. Gas is usually used for cooking, and makes a very economic alternative for water heaters and space heating. Fridges are also much more efficient on gas than on generator power.

For other appliance where gas is not an alternative, there are other low cost solutions. For example a 120W inverter (converts 12V dc to 230 Vac) will provide power for computers, radios VCR etc. So a generator is not really essential.

From a social point of view, generators are noisy. Even the "silent" ones produce some noise. They are very inefficient at converting fuel to electrical power (about 6%) the fuel is very expensive.

Gas appliances on the other hand are very efficient. They must be at least 70% efficient before they are approved for sale, and virtually silent.

The gas will already be on board for cooking, so there is no additional weight to be accounted.

Consider using a second battery that can be charged in the back of your car whilst you are travelling, and swapping when necessary. Or use the accessory circuit in the 12S (grey) socket on the rear of your car.

Do you really need a generator?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a Yanmar suitcase type of generator and used it on CLs at the length on the hook up lead from us and other campers with no complaints about noise and we asked a lot of people.

What we did have was the speeding up of the generator which increased the voltage and wiped out the TV and battery charger.

If you buy one I would ensure that it doesn't just rely on engine speed for voltage output and has electronic governing of voltage as well.

That will be more expensive but possibly not in the long run !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally I do not like generators as the noise is too much on a quite campsite. If I want engine noise I will go and sit on the M25.

Had a look at what you suggest Lutz and like the idea very much but at

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
grrrrrr posted it wrong .....

I've only been on one site where someone used a generator - Black Knowl in Hampshire. The constant humm drove me nuts. One night the single male camper left it on during the night, I finally got to sleep about 2am. When I rose in the morning about 7ish he had left the site. Whether there was an altercation with the wardens I don't know. My personal thoughts after that one experience is they should be banned from sites with hook ups. That way people who don't use sites without electrics wont be bothered by them. Pity the ones who use CL's who like to get back to basics and enjoy the sounds of the countryside though. When I go away it is to enjoy some stress free days, if I had a generator I wouldn't get that because I would be to worried about spoiling others enjoyment.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Victor,

We use a Honda E10i. it is expensive but is relatively quiet (virtually silent from more than 20 feet away if shielded by your van). It'll give you 900 watts continuous or 1kw for limited periods. We use it for around 10 mins a day for the other halfs hairdryer and about an hour every 3-4 days to recharge the batts. Anyone who objects to this amount of use has, in my view, a problem.

All the other non genny solutions mentioned are valid but it depends on how you spend your hols. If, as we do, you use your car very little while you're away then the split charger isn't really an option. Solar panels are good but if your battery usage is high (if you have a colour telly for instance) then their outputs won't be enough to keep you charged - even if the sun shines brightly.

We use CLs and CSs virtually exclusively and never use a hpook up. This way we are never tied to a certain part of the site. Also we intend to take the van away for Christmas and New Year again at a CL that has no hook ups so for us a genny is essential. I would echo some of the thoughts above though - if you do get one use it as sparingly as possible.

Clive V. I hope i'm not telling you to suck eggs here, but just as car batts are not good for leisure use, your leisure batts are not designed for starting cars. Once or twice may not harm it but to keep using it for this purpose could seriously decrease its life span.

Happy 'vanning evreyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Victor

I appreciate the comment and yes I am aware of the problem of using a leisure battery to jump start a car but on a freezing wet morning "hurting" a

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I've only been on one site where someone used a generator - Black Knowl in Hampshire. The constant humm drove me nuts. One night the single male camper left it on during the night, I finally got to sleep about 2am. When I rose in the morning about 7ish he had left the site. Whether there was an altercation with the wardens I don't know. My personal thoughts after that one experience is they should be banned from sites with hook ups. That way people who don't use sites without electrics wont be bothered by them. Pity the ones who use CL's who like to get back to basics and enjoy the sounds of the countryside though. When I go away it is to enjoy some stress free days, if I had a generator I wouldn't get that because I would be to worried about spoiling others enjoyment.
Here here or is it Hear hear,

I was on a site that had electric hook ups this fellow arrives sites his van then pulls out from the back of his van an industrial generator starts it up pops his kids in front of the TV whilst he erects the anwing. Has this running untill Meatloaf ( a guy who looked like him) goes over and has a gental word generator stops anwing gomes down and he moves to an electric hook up pitch like a scalded cat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts