getting heated up in bed

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I have run out of ideas about getting a good nights sleep on our van. I have tried memory foam and air mattresses and a combination of the two. But we cannot avoid feeling hot in bed as our body heat seems to be reflected back at us. Currently, we have the caravan cushions, on top of which is 2inches of memory foam and finally an air mattress, and we still feel uncomfortable. Would a fitted sprung mattress be the answer?? Does anyone else have this problem, if so how do you solve it, short of fitting hammocks. brian.f

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Brian I know this might sound flippant but have you got the heating on and blowers under the bed.

If not can you please advise as to the type of caravan this is as I am due to be in Ullapool in October.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would think that with that lot to sleep on you are probably only inches from the caravan roof. As heat rises and I suspect you are in the hottest part of the caravan, it is hardly surprising you are getting hot!

Do you, by any chance, still feel the lump from the 'pea'?

Try opening a window for a bit of fresh air to cool you down - or alternatively, as you will be almost in it, open the heki rooflight!

Sorry for being flippant - couldn't resist!!

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
We use a memory foam mattress at home and discovered early on that they can be hot - I suppose it's to be expected - the claim for the material is that it supports you all over by moulding to your body. So it will naturally tend to feel warmer. Ours is quite firm (Healthbeds) so I imagine the softer ones would be even warmer as you sink further into it.

We use one as my back does not appreciate any sort of sag in the bed, I need something that stays flat. The memory foam on a solid base achieves this. (see the ads) What I don't understand is the claims for similar support when used as a 'topper' If the mattress underneath sags in the middle the 'topper' will do the same!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd remove the air mattress. By definition it can't breathe and therefore won't let body heat out. Also, perspiration can't evaporate through the air- and watertight material so you'll be sleeping, bathing in your own sweat.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

I do sympathise with you as I have the same problem, and also tried various combinations of bedding. The original caravan cushion was too firm for me so we had it refoamed, which although better, is still too firm. I should have gone for a softer foam, although at the time, I was worried about it being too soft when used as a seat. A 2" memory foam topper was next which did make the bed much more comfortable, but did also prove to be a little hot. I now sleep on top of a cotton sleeping bag with a duvet on top and this is less hot, but not as soft!

However, I have now discovered a new memory foam called polar foam, by QVC and I have just last night, ordered a topper for the bed at home. This is marketed as being much cooler than original memory foam. We are going away on Thursday until Tuesday so hopefully it should be here on our return. I will let you know the outcome.

In your case, I agree with Lutz, remove the airbed, as these cannot breathe at all. Use as much cotton as you can, sheets, covers, pyjamas etc., whichever you use as polycotton, especially underneath cannot breathe at all. If I find a definite solution I might market the idea!!

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
this is a long shot but how about a chillow pillow, look it up on the net under chillow. It's a cushion that you fit into your pillow that helps keep your head cool and as we loose most of our heat through our head perhaps it may help to cool your body too.

My kids use these in beds as they always suffered from the heat and they are finding it a godsend. Worth trying, S

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your comments, - perhaps I should have married a cooler woman. I shall try again without the air mattress, but the problem you will no doubt appreciate is that you can spend a good deal of a holiday trying out different combinations, and a good deal of money can be spent trying to find a solution. Manufacturers claims do not help.

but thanks again. brian.f

pog

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Memory foam is rubbish!

If you are the kind of person who gets hot in bed (and not in the good way!) it really is pants!

I myself use a duvet - a good quality one - under the sheet, only use cotton bedding and the best bit - air-con. It really is fantastic.

I know there are many who are not fans, and say it goes against the 'spirit of camping' but I wouldn't be without it. So if you have weight allowance to spare it is the way I would go.

Bj

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Memory foam is rubbish!

If you are the kind of person who gets hot in bed (and not in the good way!) it really is pants!

I myself use a duvet - a good quality one - under the sheet, only use cotton bedding and the best bit - air-con. It really is fantastic.

I know there are many who are not fans, and say it goes against the 'spirit of camping' but I wouldn't be without it. So if you have weight allowance to spare it is the way I would go.

Bj
Hi,

I sleep hot (and have memory foam) - we open the windows use a summer duvet and We use 2 desk fans - on all night - one for each of us..

Lovely and cool - and you get so used to the white noise and the moving air - can't sleep without one now.

Not so good if you don't have electric connected.

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
This seems to be a hot topic! You didn't mention what ventilation you have. We get very annoyed by the latest blind-fly screens (the type which slide up and down) as they don't allow you to open the window (safely) with the blind down and of course don't allow both fly screen and blind to be used together. We now use the curtains for black out with the fly screen in position and the window (most windows) either open in good weather or on the first catch position. This solves our temperature problems.

I'm curious, why do you need all this bedding anyway?

Alan

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
the amount of bedding we currently use is the result of playing around with different combinations, without much improvement. Also, our caravan is a Fendt, with two fixed single beds for the kids at the front and our current made-up bed at the back which brings us up to the same height. I have tried three different makes of air bed, flocked and unflocked, and currently use a cheap make which seems slightly better but not ideal. I am tempted to try a roll-up mattress with a cotton infill from Presents for Men.com. but they cost

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

I would be a bit careful about this cotton roll up bed. We had something similar many years ago on a Futon and it was very firm, as it justs compacts when weight is put on it. Is your bed comfortable with just the memory foam even though it is too hot? If this is the problem then Google 'coolmax' and you will find products which are supposed to help with heat. I did recently feel the Coolmax topper done by Scotts of Stow which is like a fitted padded sheet. It felt rather nice and might be worth a try, - again not cheap but I feel it would be more successful than the roll up cotton bed. I am still awaiting my 'cool' memory foam mattress but I will let you know my findings.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
thanks for that Chrissie, we are going to the lakes this weekend, and I am going to try just the memory foam with a duvet filling on top - (without the airbed). I will try put your suggestion about coolmax and see if that improves the situation . Thanks again, brian.f

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Brian

We found the fixed bed matress on our Bailey Pageant just a little too firm. So we bought a 3" memory foam topper which is great for me but not her indoors who gets very warm. Answer for us was to buy a duck feather & down topper which goes on top of the memory foam OH is now a happy bunny and we just use summer duvet.

We always have the window and roof vent open to give adequate fresh air.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Here is my solution to made up beds in caravans.

Our van has a rear bunk area now only used for seating and daytime storrage of bedding in one corner as there is a lot.

When making up the front double bed at night, place the two seat panels side by side in the direction you are going to lay with the lips to the extremities of the bed.

Place the two back panels at your feet end to fill the gap.

Cover this with a thin duvet in a cover as a base.

Then place a thick duvet in a cover on top as a bottom sheet.

We add an electric under blanket to this duvet in winter as needed.

Then place a very thick duvet in a cover for the top layer and use as normal.

Make sure the caravan is levelled or slightly higher at your head end.

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
HI Alan

Can I just ask you whether these down toppers flatten out or can they be 'replumped' by shaking them out?
Yes they get fluffed up by her ladyship each moring with a good shake the same as the duvet.

Prefer the "hot bird" but the only answer I get these days is "roast chicken" must be losing my touch somewhere!!!

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Good heavens, am i doing something wrong? We turn over the seat cushions and put them so that the two narrower back cushions go in the middle, put on a fitted double sheet and use a 12.5 tog(i think) duvet, in its cover. Put at least one window (at the foot end) and the kitchen window on the breather catches, the rooflight too if its very warm. If anything, i still end up too warm, (but thats my age) but very comfortable all night. Are we not supposed to sleep on the seat cushions with only a sheet between us and them?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Yes they get fluffed up by her ladyship each moring with a good shake the same as the duvet.

Prefer the "hot bird" but the only answer I get these days is "roast chicken" must be losing my touch somewhere!!!
I,m with your wife!! Hot birds have great difficulty being 'hot birds' if you know what I mean!

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mags and Alan

Don;t worry you are not doing anything wrong. The main topic in this thread was the use of memory foam toppers which some of us are finding rather hot, and therefore, suggestions for alternatives. If you get a good night's sleep you are very envied by me, so carry on doing whatever you are doing. It seems that everyone has their own way, and there is no definite right or wrong.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mags and Alan

Don;t worry you are not doing anything wrong. The main topic in this thread was the use of memory foam toppers which some of us are finding rather hot, and therefore, suggestions for alternatives. If you get a good night's sleep you are very envied by me, so carry on doing whatever you are doing. It seems that everyone has their own way, and there is no definite right or wrong.
Phew thanks for that Chrissylizzie, thought for a moment we were committing one of the cardinal sins of caravanning lol. Yes we do sleep well, that might have something to do with the odd glass or 3 of mummy's pop we are partial to of an evening though. ;)

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Phew thanks for that Chrissylizzie, thought for a moment we were committing one of the cardinal sins of caravanning lol. Yes we do sleep well, that might have something to do with the odd glass or 3 of mummy's pop we are partial to of an evening though. ;)
Not a bad solution!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

Ihave just returned from 20 days of excellent sleep. We sleep bette rin the caravan than at home! Why?

Years ago I stayed at the Scandic Crown Hotel Edinburgh. They supposedly used special beds and covers. So good in fact they guaranteed a full refund if you didn't sleep well.

Solution.

1. Plenty of ventilation. We keep the windows ajar and teh Hekki open on the roof.

2. Cotton sheets and duvet covers.

3. Use the lightest possible tog rating for duvet. You'll be amazed how light you can go.

4. We have a 3 inch goose / down feather filled matress topper again covered in 100% cotton.

Result. A great sleep every night. Personally I'm not a fan of memory foam which we tried a long time ago. It didn't work for us.

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts