glossary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nick,

No you are definately not the only one. I have not yet found a published comprhensive list of abreviations that lists all the abreviations and their accurate meanings.

Caravanning seems to be riddled with them, and in many cases an abreviations has become an accepted way to desribe a particular criteria, yet its actual or legal meaning may be somewhat different.

Some abbreviations in common use have no formal definition, so it is a bit of a mine field.

The PC web site does have an advice section (dark blue band) and you can look up others such as the
National Trailer & Towing Association Ltd www.NTTA.co.uk

You can also look up the Government portal for licence and vehicle weights etc.

Failing that if there is something your not sure about you can always try this forum, but be warned you are likely to get several different interpretations.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nick dont be shy mate, if you dont know you dont know, Just ask on here in the post it concerns, I did once and actually got an apology from the poster
smiley-smile.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nick
The abbreviations most commonly used on caravan forums are:
IE = Iinternet explorer
spam = unauthorised advertising
ehu = electric hook up
CC = Caravan Club
C&CC = Camping & Caravanning Club
CS = certified site, a small 5 unit site often without facilities which is licenced but not owned by the Camping & Caravanning Club
CL = certified location, the Caravan Club equivalent to a certified site as described above
MTPLM = maximum technically permissible laden mass or the maximum weight of the caravan when fully loadedwith your personal items.
MIRO = mass in running order or the unladen weight of the caravan without gas bottles, personal effects etc
If there are any other abbreviations that you're not sure about just ask as and when they crop up in forum posts

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so whats with the mtplnf and all the other BS?
nick

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
nickmac73 said:
hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so WTF with the mtplnfand all the other BS?
nick

Welcome to the world of caravan's
smiley-laughing.gif

animated_roflmao-butt2.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
nickmac73 said:
hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so whats with the mtplnf and all the other BS?
nick
A car and caravan combination is not as stable as an articulated lorry and the terminology is different.
Whether or not you think that it's 'BS' to be a safe and responsible touring caravanner you should make it your business to at least have some idea of what the legal weight references are.
Click Here if you want to look it up

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
nickmac73 said:
hi,
nick
M.T.P.L.N.F simply means :- Maximum. Trailer. Permmited. Load. "big fine if" Not. Followed.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Prof John L said:
I am beginning to think this may be a wind up thread
You may well be right John, but even if it is it can be informative for those out there who are not "up" on the jargon used on forums it does not take long though to grasp what people are talking about, in Caravan terms all abreviations mean something that you should really know while others are a little more obscure like M.I.L or S.I.L and my favorite SWMBO.
the first two refer to "in laws" mother or sister the last one refers to, She Who Must Be Obeyed referenced from "Rumpole of the bailey" who used the term to descrie the "Wife" as stated before if anyone is not sure what a abbrevation means just ask while the tread is active.

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
hi,
me again,
i probably chose the wrong abr to rant about but there are a lot. thanks dude.
not a wind up prof i have learnt more from this site than any other and appreciate all replies, its a new discipline for me but i pick stuff up fairly quickly so please keep them coming. i'm working on a new name for toh...
ta sprok lol
nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts