Golf GTD and coachman pastiche

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
Nice!
Good to know it can be done.

Likely hood is I will use the Golf, load that and limit loading in the van. Then get the test done and buy something bigger next year.

Slim chance I’ll sort an alternate car. But least the golf is legal and hopefully loaded up will add some weight to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
IamFlash,go out to your car,find chassis plate/sticker. Underneath the long numbers/letters they'll be about 4 or 5 lines of numbers.Its the top one you need,should say something about 2000kg,this is what your car, if put on a weightbridge can not exceed-legally.The line under that one I would of thought will be 1600kg more than first line,as that is what your max towed is.
Basically you need a car with the top line weight is less than 2050kg.As I understand it this is what your license allows legally.
Cheers.

Sorry Brasso Factually incorrect

The order of the data is laid out by an EU directive so its the same for all vehicles.

Gross Train Weight (Tthe maximum permitted MEASURED weight of of car and trailer together)
Gross Vehicle Weight (The maximum weight the the cars combined axles loads at anytime)
Front Axle Limit (The maximum weight the front axle can carry at any time)
Rear Axle Limit (The maximum weight the Rear axle can carry at any time)

Maximum towed weight is not stamped on the plate, that is set by the manufacturer but by subtracting GVW from GTW you get the maximum towed weight when the car is fully loaded.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I beg to differ prof,im at work at moment so have access to about 20 cars.Checked them all,top line is cars max weight, next line down is car and trailer combined,then front axle,then rear axle.?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
I beg to differ prof,im at work at moment so have access to about 20 cars.Checked them all,top line is cars max weight, next line down is car and trailer combined,then front axle,then rear axle.?

Prof , you are wrong, on my Hyundai SF, its as Brasso states.
Top line max vehicle weight, then max train weight.

Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Brasso530 said:

Prof , you are wrong, on my Hyundai SF, its as Brasso states.
Top line max vehicle weight, then max train weight.

Hutch.

Sorry everyone, I got the order wrong.

But the information they contain is correct .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
IamFlash said:
Nice!
Good to know it can be done.

Likely hood is I will use the Golf, load that and limit loading in the van. Then get the test done and buy something bigger next year.

Slim chance I’ll sort an alternate car. But least the golf is legal and hopefully loaded up will add some weight to it.

Yes it can be done , but since that picture I posted I have passed my HGV which up my weights and now we have changed our car and caravan and much better and happier so get the test done !!! ;) good luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well you will need to firstly spell out its kerbweight, or MIS, Gross Vehicle Weight and makers maximum towing weight. Though a nice car it wouldn’t be my choice with low profile tyres, and stiffer suspension. But if it’s street cred you are after.........

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Street cred most definitely, but trying to pull a caravan off a CL/grassy site when it's wet , maybe not ?!? :unsure:

Octavia 4x4 Scout Estate would be a far better option if the various weights compute.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
IamFlash said:
Can someone say if this is better more suited than the golf? I’m not sure it is?

Hello Again,
Please bear in mind contributors to this forum don't have access to all the data about cars and caravans, so if you want our comments about a particular vehicle of caravan you really must supply us with the list of specification you have already been given earlier in this thread.

We are not hear to do your searching for you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
IamFlash said:
Why are you still replying? I’m asking you not to.

Perhaps it is because you aren't really trying to elicit proper answers from Forum members by not even trying to supply the basic information required to allow them to assist you. Here is the list again:

Kerbweight or MIS
GVW
Makers towing weight.

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
I can’t find the kirb weight I’ve looked. There are loads of variants that’s what I’m struggling with
Max weight is 1980
Towing is 1600

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
IamFlash said:
I can’t find the kirb weight I’ve looked. There are loads of variants that’s what I’m struggling with
Max weight is 1980
Towing is 1600

Well what does the Owner manual say for the variant that you are looking at? Skoda have a good website that enables you to download Owners Manuals. Try the link below but like all such sources of data you could cross check elsewhere too. But the website does give lots of variants.
https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/octavia/kerb-weight/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
IamFlash said:
Can someone say if this is better more suited than the golf? I’m not sure it is?
Hello Again,
Please bear in mind contributors to this forum don't have access to all the data about cars and caravans, so if you want our comments about a particular vehicle of caravan you really must supply us with the list of specification you have already been given earlier in this thread.
We are not hear to do your searching for you.

IamFlash said:
Why are you still replying? I’m asking you not to.

Moderator Note:
I've been watching this thread with interest.
We have a person new to the forum asking for advice, which has for the most part been offered.
Some slight irritation seems to be creeping in to some of the replies however, but no forum member has the right to tell a fellow forum member not to reply either.
Weights can be a confusing issue with conflicting information and accurate data difficult to find at times, so the old adage applies, which is
'If you can't say anything positive it's probably best to say nothing'.
We're all here to help each other as far as is possible so let's all take a deep breath and count to ten before submitting barbed responses, thanks
:)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes it is a complicated subject. Unfortunately both Scout versions have too high a gross weight, which is why I recommended the VRS. Only the 4x4 version is suitable really as the weight of the 4x4 system bumps up the kerbweight to give you a reasonably good match. So yes, this would be much better than the Golf due to the extra weight and 4wd.

Although the VRS has sports suspension and is slightly lower (13mm) than the standard Octavia, the tow ball will at the correct height as this is a technical requirement of type approval. The stiffer suspension of sportier vehicles often takes the noseweight of the caravan better too.

If you would prefer to stay with a Golf, the 150ps manual version of the Golf Alltrack would be another reasonable match. The 184ps dsg of the alltrack is no good as again too high gross weight.

The 85% rule is a guide, not a law. Having said that, it is sensible to observe it for newcomers to caravaning. The reason for it is because towing a caravan is unlike towing most other things. You are in effect pulling a sail behind you! A light for its size box with a big surface area to catch the wind. The 85% rule is there to ensure the towing vehicle keeps the upper hand. It is more to do with stability than power/performance. Having said that, if you don’t load the van correctly the 85% rule won’t save you.

The rule states that the caravan should weigh no more than 85% of the cars Kerbweight.

Kerbweight is the weight of the vehicle including all supplied tools, 90% fuel, full other fluids and a 75kg driver. Be careful with this as some manufacturers don’t include the driver! For what we are doing here you can say kerbweight and mass in service are the same thing.

If a vehicle manufacturer will either publish a minimum kerbweight or a range. The manufacturer have data tables of how factory fitted options affect the kerbweight. I don’t have information for the Octavia to hand but I would expect the factory fit towbar would add about 30kg and a spare wheel with tools (instead of a can of gunk) about 25kg. A panorama sunroof would be another good weight adding option! Technically the mass in service figure on the V5 should include options, but often they are registered with the figure it says in the brochure!

Now your van has a gross weight of 1430kg, but you don’t need to load it to that! I would expect it is at least 155kg under that with nothing in it. So if you find the true kerbweight of your chosen car multiply it by 0.85 and load the caravan up to this figure (as long as below 1430kg!) you will have a perfect 85% match. Put everything else in the car. As you build confidence and learn how to load the caravan for optimum stability you can work up to the 90% match your caravan fully loaded would give you (assuming VRS 4x4 with no options)

Don’t let anyone tell you a full size 4x4 is best, or even a necessity, for towing a caravan - it isn’t. While they may be great at dealing with muddy fields, for stability they are not so good. I have seen the wind tunnel testing! Any doubters - next time you see an overturned caravan, just look what was pulling it!

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
Fantastic answer thanks.

It all makes sense. I will be loading car only and either using my golf or the VRS estate. Sadly it’s not the 4x4 it’s the dsg though and slightly heavier I believe.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
HandyAndy , that the best reply on this thread, great.

Agree with the hutch , good explanation indeed , i was going to put the kettle on half way through cos I thought it wasn't going to end !
I hope 'iamflash' has learnt a few things from the other day and makes good progress with the tips & advice given as complicated as it may be/sound .
Good luck & happy caravaning .

Craig

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Handyandy1 said:
...The 85% rule is a guide, not a law. Having said that, it is sensible to observe it for newcomers to caravaning. The reason for it is because towing a caravan is unlike towing most other things. You are in effect pulling a sail behind you! A light for its size box with a big surface area to catch the wind. The 85% rule is there to ensure the towing vehicle keeps the upper hand. It is more to do with stability than power/performance. Having said that, if you don’t load the van correctly the 85% rule won’t save you.
Don’t let anyone tell you a full size 4x4 is best, or even a necessity, for towing a caravan - it isn’t. While they may be great at dealing with muddy fields, for stability they are not so good. I have seen the wind tunnel testing! Any doubters - next time you see an overturned caravan, just look what was pulling it!

Great Post Handyandy! I would add caravans are delicately balanced white box sails, just resting on your towball!

There really should be more advice for newcomers on the potential dangers of improper towing and loading. It is surprising how much the caravan can impact the stability of the car. I was quite shocked when I started towing my 7.5metre single axle Sprite earlier this year, just how much it will move you around, especially around artics. My towing experience with an ultra lightweight caravan and even the B+E test did not prepare me for that.

I drive an XC60; not a proper 4x4, but I have a low match ratio of 75%; I was over-taken on the M5 by an identical XC60 towing a similar Sprite Major; they had no towing mirrors and would definitely have needed them. They were exceeding the 60mph speed limit. Probably touching 70mph. After they passed me, they made some questionable lane changes and then the back end of their caravan started to wag quite badly. As you say, the 85% recommendation will not save you if you don't follow due diligence with regards to loading, nose weights and towing at appropriate speeds with due care and attention.

All that being said, I really enjoy towing the caravan! It is perhaps my favourite part of a trip! :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
.... I was quite shocked when I started towing my 7.5metre single axle Sprite earlier this year, just how much it will move you are towing ......
......All that being said, I really enjoy towing the caravan! It is perhaps my favourite part of a trip! :).....

I agree , I got a shock when we changed from our just over 6 and a half metres old caravan to what we have now just under 8 metres when towing , people mention draught and wobbling when overtaking of been over took by wagons as it's been mentioned before in another post , the ones I hate overtaking are car transporters .
Be careful when you eventually get out of the road .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Great Post Handyandy! I would add caravans are delicately balanced white box sails, just resting on your towball!
There really should be more advice for newcomers on the potential dangers of improper towing and loading. It is surprising how much the caravan can impact the stability of the car. I was quite shocked when I started towing my 7.5metre single axle Sprite earlier this year, just how much it will move you around, especially around artics. My towing experience with an ultra lightweight caravan and even the B+E test did not prepare me for that. …….
I agree that good advice can be hard to come across at times 'Custard Avenger' but what many PCv forum members may not be fully aware of is that most of the permanent text items on this forum webpage are actually clickable links (URL's)
The yellow header strip contains URL's to various PCv webpages with Advice, Blogs, News etc.
The text items on the blue top page header are also URL's
The Advice link alone navigates the user to over 200 different articles, including buyers guides, reviews, safety advice for novices, towing guides and so on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
CustardAvenger said:
There really should be more advice for newcomers on the potential dangers of improper towing and loading. It is surprising how much the caravan can impact the stability of the car. I was quite shocked when I started towing my 7.5metre single axle Sprite earlier this year, just how much it will move you around, especially around artics. My towing experience with an ultra lightweight caravan and even the B+E test did not prepare me for that. …….
I agree that good advice can be hard to come across at times 'Custard Avenger' but what many PCv forum members may not be fully aware of is that most of the permanent text items on this forum webpage are actually clickable links (URL's)
The yellow header strip contains URL's to various PCv webpages with Advice, Blogs, News etc.
The text items on the blue top page header are also URL's
The Advice link alone navigates the user to over 200 different articles, including buyers guides, reviews, safety advice for novices, towing guides and so on.

Thanks Parksy, It takes a lot of us many years to navigate around the many different websites that we belong to. But I believe this to be one of the easiest, to get around, thanks again to you and Damian, keeping us straight and giving help
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts