Good/ bad idea to use talcum power on awning

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a sticky residue on the inside of my awning, I believe it has come from the waterproofing melting due to heat and UV rays. Gutted due to the awning only being 4 years old and besides the residue the awning was still in good shape. It also means the waterproofing is now not brilliant.

My question is going forward would the use of Talcum powder helped in preventing this from happening? I am now looking for a new replacement awning so want to know what, besides the normal making sure the awning is dry on put away, I can do to extend the life of my awning.

Thanks in advance .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never had hot weather affect the awning materials and we’ve had awnings up in the south of France. The modern awnings tend to use something like Tencate which is almost impervious. So something else has affected your awning. What make and age is it?

Talcum powder will do nothing and could make it worse. I would use a gentle detergent to see if the gunge will wash off. You could then try reproofing it using a tent/awning reproofing fluid.

Awnings must be dry before packing them away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paullus1959
Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
It is a vango sonoma 350 air awning. The best way to describe is “Like a glue substance” on the inside of the awning.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking on Google it is common problem with Vango.
Se what you mean. It’s as if the waterproofing is a coating sprayed on the insides. Never had an awning with that material feature more akin to a lightweight tent coating. But even they last better than yours. I’ve a Vango 350XL tent but the inside is still in A1 condition.

I guess Vango don’t want to know?

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Vango simply say it is out of warranty. I used to have a Vango tent which was brilliant. That was the main reason I went for a Vango awning.

Lesson learnt never going back to them. Looking at an Outdoor Revolution next.

I always have been fussy about packing away. Wipe it all down, wash and dry the pegs. Just a little disappointing this has happened.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Vango simply say it is out of warranty. I used to have a Vango tent which was brilliant. That was the main reason I went for a Vango awning.

Lesson learnt never going back to them. Looking at an Outdoor Revolution next.

I always have been fussy about packing away. Wipe it all down, wash and dry the pegs. Just a little disappointing this has happened.
On another forum there seems to be some complaints about the newer Vango's.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking on Google it is common problem with Vango.
I use to owned a brand new Vango Capella 220 Air awning never had a problem Sold it last year the new owner says it brilliant so not all awnings are the same so i very sorry yours is not but i would make sure it dry before packing away .

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if this is the result of condensation? My no longer used Kampa Rallye Air was notorious for condensation on the roof. As a partial cure Kampa sold an inner ceiling lining.
If the Vango issue is a common one and is in effect a fundamental design defect present at point of sale I ‘d be having words with the Dealer, or did you buy direct from Vango?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My guess would be that it is caused by one of two options.
1. The surface of the fabric has degraded and has become sticky.
or
2. It is growth of mould over the surface.

If the awning is a write off as it is then you have little to lose with a draconian scrub of the surface with a proprietary awning cleaner or mould remover. Then a reseal with Fabsil.
If you think the awning is still useable then you may want to try the above on a very very small area first and see what happens.
Do report back.
Good luck
Mel

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts