good caravan sites in northern spain

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
can anyone please recommend any good sites in northern spain. we will be going for 2 weeks in mid sept next year, i dont mind driving a couple of hours from either bilbao or santander, but i dont want to drive all day, i dont mind if its coastal or in land, it must have electric hook ups, it must be clean well looked after and most importantly it must have a good restaurant either on site or very nearby as we like to eat out everyday, (a site like blaarmarsen in belgium but in spain if this is at all possible). regards mark. ps what sort of price am i looking at for a ferry crossing, from anywhere in uk as i will have to travel the length of england anyway, 2 adults, car and caravan

G

Firstly, I feel you are pushing it to try and do all that in 2 weeks. Even using a ferry to Santander will take 24 hours and you have also mentioned driving across England. Is that part of the 2 weeks?

I did browse the ferries to Santander for next year and my cost estimate was around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Mark - sorry you have not (yet) had more replies. I guess that the majority of us who go to spain do so in the winter give or take a couple of months, and that the weather is one of the major attractions. This would mean that the north Atlantic coast of Spain would not feature very much; most of the sites we use round there would be overnights only to and from the ferry.

I can only suggest you get hold of a copy of Caravan Club Europe 1 guidebook and see what that has to offer and/or do a websearch among the other guides.

The nearest I personally can suggest is not in Spain at all but in St Jean de Luz just into France - La Rouletta ticks most of your requirments and there are plenty of others around the area - again, well documented in Europe 1

The ferry crossings - particularly to Bilbao - will take quite a bite out of your two weeks and as Scotch Lad has said the summer prices are likely to be pretty high.

A bit further south there are sites at Burgos and Aranda (general direction of Madrid); eating out is usually not too much of a problem in Spain - lunchtime from about 13.00 to 16.00 and evening from 19.30 til late. Many places have a menu del dia (menu of the day) which will usually have three courses each with a choice and can come to as little as 7 euro/head including some wine and coffee.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark,

We have stayed at Playa Joel Noja in Northern Spain 3 times now and it is a fantastic site.You have direct access to a super beach.We sailed from Portsmouth to Bilbao and Playa Joel is approx 9O km away. The site is very large and is packed to the hilt in high season.However this year we went the end of May/June and you had the pick of pitches.The site is spotless and cleaning ladies dressed in clinical white outfits are in attendance in the washrooms what seems like 24hrs.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we tend to use the barbie a lot.There is a well stocked shop on site. The only problem with going when we did, was that a lot of the shops in Noja were still not open until the main holiday season started.I suspect this may be the case in mid Sept when you want to visit so make sure you do your home work on site and shop closing dates.

They have their own web-site http://www.playajoyel.com/ where you can book on line etc.We also looked at the Euro camp web-site as they also use this site, for more info.

We booked our crossing via the CC Club found it about

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mark,

We have stayed at Playa Joel Noja in Northern Spain 3 times now and it is a fantastic site.You have direct access to a super beach.We sailed from Portsmouth to Bilbao and Playa Joel is approx 9O km away. The site is very large and is packed to the hilt in high season.However this year we went the end of May/June and you had the pick of pitches.The site is spotless and cleaning ladies dressed in clinical white outfits are in attendance in the washrooms what seems like 24hrs.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we tend to use the barbie a lot.There is a well stocked shop on site. The only problem with going when we did, was that a lot of the shops in Noja were still not open until the main holiday season started.I suspect this may be the case in mid Sept when you want to visit so make sure you do your home work on site and shop closing dates.

They have their own web-site http://www.playajoyel.com/ where you can book on line etc.We also looked at the Euro camp web-site as they also use this site, for more info.

We booked our crossing via the CC Club found it about

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know of any other sites in the Bilbao area apart from http://www.playajoyel.com ?

I notice from their web site that they don't accept dogs & we will be taking our mutt.

We are having a break at the end of the week & want to spend 5 or 6 days going down the West coast of France from where we live in Brittany & then 5 or 6 days in Northern Spain.

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
We are currently in Spain at the moment and travelled Plymouth Santander. It was cheaper to book a site and crossing rather than just the crossing. This was through CC, we are in Costa Brava and weather is lovely at this time of year its work travelling down. Would say you really need 3 weeks and you can extended you travel arrangements if you decide to stay longer. Lamafora is an excellent site as is Las Dunes all on beach front and very very clean. I would reccomend Spain wish we had done it sooner

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
hi, in regards to your original question, if you google 'campings in cantabria spain' several sites along the coast come up and from there you can enter each website to gain more info regards ray b

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
thank you to all, maybe 2 weeks isn't enough and around 900 for a ferry crossing is rediculous, thanks to all again but i am now convinced we will go back to belgium instead, regards mark.

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
We spent 10 days weeks at Camping Playa de Oyambre (www.oyambre.com) nr Comillas in Cantabria this August. The site takes caravans, tents & motorhomes and there are a limited number of wooden chalets for hire. The site is an easy journey of about 50km west of Santander, about 50mins with our caravan on the back. We caught the ferry from Plymouth to Santander.

The site appears to tick your boxes, it has EHU's (2 pin adapter required), is near to a fantastic beach and has a restaurant onsite. If you want to go out elsewhere though you will need to go to either Comillas or San Vicente del Barquera which are a few miles in each direction and have lots of excellent restaurants.

The site is very well maintained with the toilet block seemingly constantly being cleaned, it has a great outdoor swimming pool, play area and 5-a-side football pitch which was very popular with our boys. It's a large site (600 units) and you are typically close to your neighbours but it's not noisy and at midnight the majority of the site lighting goes out which is a very effective way of saying bedtime!

The owner Francis is brilliant, always on hand to help he watches carefully over his site, always walking around to make sure all is OK, shows you to your pitch and gets help to manouvre your outfit if required.

I thought it was good value too - 9 nights for us all inc EHU, awning etc was about _340. We found living costs comparable - diesel (_0.86) and food in supermarkets was generally cheaper than UK.

The fery crossing was excellent but not cheap (car + caravan + 2 adults + 3 kids over 5 =

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts