Gordon Brown & The Budget

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I have just read the morning paper (late I know!) However, there is an item entitled: "Brown to hit 4x4 drivers with a rise in road tax". He is aiming to hit the school run parents in their 4x4 vehicles emitting more than 250 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre! Favourites to be hit include the BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Land Rover Discovery. The road tax rise quoted will be £200!

It will also include many luxury sports cars and limos such as Rolls-Royce Pahntom, BMW 750i and the Jaguar 4.2 litre Super V8. I doubt that this lot will affect many vanners!!!

However, there is obviously a knock-on effect here for caravanners. Especially those with larger vans who need to tow with a much heavier 4x4. Bad news I'm afraid.

It certainly made me check our polution output, luckily we seem to be OK. Our AWD Volvo XCountry gives out a max 210 grams. Have a look at your manuals and see how you will be affected.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
According to The Times online, the proposals come from the RAC Foundation who have also called for tax cuts on enviromentally friendly cars.

It states that insiders have suggested that the Chancellor may simply announce his interest in such a scheme this month, leaving implementation to a later date.

More info here... http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9559-2071718,00.html

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's just the tip of the iceberg Ann. Once Brown realises he can get away with punishing those over 250 grams, he will set his sights on lower targets. The manual diesel Sorento is rated at 204 grams the auto at 223 grams while the V6 is way above at 286 grams. I think it's going to effect more than just large luxury 4x4's. Perhaps it's time everyone checked theirs too.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Well if that is the case lets just say bye bye Gordy boy now.
As 4x4 sales are soring i think brown has cottoned on to it and is out to get us cos most of us need them to tow with.

i think if he wants to take over from blair he should think again there is enough of us to elect another government!!!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
As 4x4 sales are soring i think brown has cottoned on to it and is out to get us cos most of us need them to tow with.

i think if he wants to take over from blair he should think again there is enough of us to elect another government!!!
Well said, Andrew!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I think we should hold our breath for this one, firstly we don't know if this is fact or not; or is merely leaked by a treasure official in order to gauge reaction. Secondly it features in a Tory paper so you have to question what the facts are.

Moreover if it were true how many of us would be affected? - as it may be only be applied to new vehicle registrations, if it were applied to any vehicle over 250 mg how would those with LPG installations fair where the output is variable?

Lastly the majority of cars purchased in this bracket are leased or in PCP schemes and any rise wouldn't be noticed significantly.

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes saw the same thing to-day.

I have a Sorento 2.5 and checked my ommissions and well below the suggested figure. All I would say is get rid of Labour and make sure through the CC and CC&C we make our presence felt and they do not under estimate what we already put back in to the economy. We taxed to the hilt already

VOTE WOTH YOUR FEET

Rob

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I suggest that we all use www.writetothem.com and send email/fax from our pc's to your labour MP or labour councilor say thay have lost X number of votes from our families.

I don't have

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,

I don't think it's as easy as getting rid of Labour to solve the problem,what makes you think that any other party will be any different if not worse? Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

It's the same old story, fags will go up in price (I personally would double the price) alcohol will go up etc etc. If there is a way to extract more bucks out of you they will already be thinking of it.

Tom

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sorry ;-(

I don't have one but write to complain about anything that picks on one group of motorists!

And Tom if people write to those in power saying why they will not vote for them and to those not in power as well sayin why they are moving vote from the people in power.

Somebody will get scared, as well as getting the point!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Letting this Government get away with pushing us around more!

Can I suggest that we should all be VERY bothered, they need a few big shots across their bows! The other parties should also be made aware of the shots in case they get into power and think we'll just all roll over and not notice what they are up to in our excitement ;-)

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
It's not all doom and gloom - one of my Daffs is nearly out and the sun came out today here. Im'going to register as an Equestrian or a small holder who needs to tow agri tralers - which is true actually. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just committ Hari Kari - not the exhaust method though because I won't be able to afford the fuel!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Road Fund Licence is just a very small part of the overall cost of motoring, it does grab the headlines though.

The duty on fuel, very high in the UK, does at least penalise all drivers in proportion to the the fuel used, and thus the pollution created.

I doubt very much that Gordon Brown will introduce anything controversial during his remaining time as Chancellor, he'll leave that and the subsequent flak to his successor.

All the non-political financial experts seem to agree that an ever-increasing deficit is appearing in the nation's balance sheet which can only be corrected by higher taxation, sooner or later.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That maybe true Monkey, and I see quite a lot of logic there, but it is still another tax that we (the group concerned) didn't have before. As such it needs to be highlighted; we pay far too much tax as it is. That's one of the ways Governments work, nibble a little here, and chew off a little there, nobody really notices until they sit down and start adding up all the little bites. Then they realise it's not just a few bites, it's a whole feast.

G

I believe the initial idea came from our 'green' friends in the EU. Of course Brown will adopt it to get the money, and then blame it on the EU. As he has never held a driving licence and has a limo for his personal use, he has no idea whatsoever about how much it costs to keep things going motor wise. It probably won't be in the Budget, but will be slipped in somewhere when it is quiet.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A top rate of tax of 60% or 83% would be welcomed after the Harold Wilson Labour government introduced a top rate of 102.5% for investment income!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Other Clive.

I don't even have a 4 X 4. Its just the principal! They add in little bits here and there and then blame us for not saving enough for our old age!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts