Gordon Brown & The Budget

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seems like it will only be applied to new cars unless I missed something.

Also - you really have got to laugh!!

Pictures live from Downing Street this lunchtime showed a Jag and a new Range Rover. Neither had a tow-bar fitted as far as I could see but my view was obscured by people pushing money through the letter box then kneeling expectantly. Some even brought their own swords.

This new car tax will certainly make old "Phony Care" Blair and "I'm about to burst" Two Jags Prescott think twice next time THEY choose what car the Taxpayers will provide them with.

So a couple of SMART cars on the cards do you reckon?

Still, if it applies to new cars only, the benefit to me is that my "previously owned" Discovery has gone up a tad in value.

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
i do not object to 4x4s but when they use them to ferry children 500 yds to school this is just a joke as many do at several schools in our area, so it might make these lazy people who cant be bothered walking short distances to the school think before they drive these (gas guzzlers) to school. i know my veiws will upset a few people but this is what i beleive the tax duty rise for 4x4s may or may not stop this.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
i do not object to 4x4s but when they use them to ferry children 500 yds to school this is just a joke as many do at several schools in our area, so it might make these lazy people who cant be bothered walking short distances to the school think before they drive these (gas guzzlers) to school. i know my veiws will upset a few people but this is what i beleive the tax duty rise for 4x4s may or may not stop this.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Keith. "I do not object to 4x4s but when they use them to ferry children 500 yds to school this is just a joke as many do at several schools in our area, so it might make these lazy people who cant be bothered walking short distances to the school think before they drive these (gas guzzlers) to school. i know my veiws will upset a few people but this is what i beleive the tax duty rise for 4x4s may or may not stop this.""

The obvious answer is not to ban 4x4s, just ban kids.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I live in a very affluent/effluent area. The local school has mothers I see with at least 4 X5's a couple of M class's, Lexus, various LandRover product and a selection of Suzuki and other 4 x 4's.

These seem to have replaced XJS, Seven Series, Porche, Mercs and other large engined expensive cars with big engines. Two of the women I know have diesel X5's that replaced a 4.2 Jag and

Merc 5 litre.

Since the 4 x 4's have come more into fashion we have also noticed that the mums that drive them have slowed down and seem to take more care around the village and area!

If they are going to drive to school it does not really matter if it is 4 x 4 or smart car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Also, one point that really gets up my nose is the fact that now, the automatic siblings go to the same school rule has been superceded by this Politically Correct twaddle that now requires parents to "apply" to get their children into the same school.

And of course this does not happen. Result is parents that have to drop one child of at school then drive miles to the next school and so on. It is not worth getting them to rely on public transport as a) it is far too expensive, b) far too unreliable and c) far to potentially dangerous in these times of convicted criminals being let loose on the rest of us.

The opportunity cost of the totally daft pupil selection procedure that this Government put in place is more vehicles that necessary on our roads at peak times.

This problem HAS been explained to them, but until we get "Phony Care" Blair on Question Time again and somebody asks him about it - like that wonderful lady that told him the result of the New NHS GP Contract was to stop patients from being able to make an appt with their GP unless you rang up that morning which meant everyone having to take a day off work for routine appointments - we will NOT convince them.

My problem is that this lot are as bad as the previous lot. No difference - all politicians lie when their lips move.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Where my wife works they had extra funding and reduced class sizes to solve some problems.

A couple of weeks ago she found that the funding is only short term and that schools in the area will not have the money in September. The schools in her area are still struggling for resources and funds and good staffing levels. Yet Brown today pledges more to Education that will make it as good as the independent schools. Ofsted is the biggest sick joke going and they couldn't spot ggod or bad practice if it jumped up and bit them.

Ofsted just works to what the government wants to hear! Ofsted should be spelt S P I N .

Brown to improve Education. FAT CHANCE

Any money that should come educations way will be swallowed up paying for what they have not got now.

Free advice Gordy Boy, get your head around it and think before you speak next time!

I guess that would be a first ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Zero road tax for lowest emmisions? Does this mean that my 200bhp 4.2 litre 4x4 Range Rover will be tax-free because it runs on zero-emmisions LPG? Or am I dreaming again?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Zero road tax for lowest emmisions? Does this mean that my 200bhp 4.2 litre 4x4 Range Rover will be tax-free because it runs on zero-emmisions LPG? Or am I dreaming again?

lets not go here again, you do have co2 emmisions,thats a fact

of chemistry.....

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
yes emmerson this time u are right, u do pay 39p? a litre to

run your 200 bhp car. i too have 200 bhp, and pay 95p a litre.

but i can go 3 times as far as u or a litre....hahahahaha

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In Penyfai where I live we have an infant/junior school made up of rotting "Portacabin" style sheds. It has been on the books for approx. 15 years to build a new school but with both Tory and Labour at Westminster and Labour/Lib. Dem at local government level we are still no closer to a new school. Election time comes around and we are promised a new school as top priority by all candidates. Once in office however it is a different story. So as CliveV stated all politicians are there to feather their own nest and not worth considering. The old joke "How can you tell when a politician lies?" answer "when he moves his lips to speak".

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well there you go Colin, that lovely new parliament building and a load of extra politico jobs for the boys in Wales, and don't forget there nice fat expense and travel allowances and all the other little perks.

Stuff the rug rats Colin and let the breast cancer patients beg for Herceptin, Rhodry Morgan (is It ) and his buddies and the Scots, Euro and Westminster MP's and their gravy train is the only rock steady rail opperation in this land.

Now don't get me wrong, New Labour and our political superiors have a plan for the Portakabins. Cut backs in are armed forces means they have plenty of spare tents for the kiddie classrooms.

"Priorititise" is the Biblical like word for Tony's Crew. They hav,e and we all get stuffed whilst they live and work in offices decorated at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fact that LPG is only 39p per litre is because it is such a clean fuel Gio. Even if the CO2 emissions are the same as for diesel (which they are not - LPG is lower, not by as much as for petrol but lower just the same) the unburnt particulate hydrocarbons emitted by diesels are awful compounds and it is these that the powers that be used as an excuse to reverse the tax benefit of diesel over petrol that existed a few years ago.

That is why diesel is the most expensive fuel per litre in the UK. Fuels are taxed according to their TOTAL pollution quotient, not just CO2 on its own.

As I am sure Emmerson will confirm - it does give us V8 drivers a sense of pride at MOT time when the emissions test clearly states that even with our big gas gussling (quite literally true!!) engines, we are doing far less harm than others.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
listen...... co2 is the greenhouse gas, that every country in

the world talks about. not nox or anyother smaller polluting

compound.

only here in the uk do we have a silly cartax situation that

groups togeather loads of different compounds, to suit a purpose

of higher taxation.

CO2 was and is still the singular most important compound that

the environment has to tackle.. and diesels EMMIT less than petrol and lpg vehicles. always have and for now still do.

i find it totally amazing that u clive v, someone who can find

info on the net when they want, has trouble typing lpg emissions

and then reading the countless topics where it states in english

that lpg do not have as lower an output of co2 has diesel.....

if u are having trouble typing lpg, then type diesel instead...

but then there sites might be biased....

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive

The Government policy on fuel taxation stems from DOT thinking in the early 90's and so sadly is now massively out of date. Your absolutely right in what you say in the third paragraph but that was the thinking of the early 90's !!

Since then we have had at 4 statutory reductions forced on Vehicles producers. (Euro 1,2,3 & 4) the benefit to the environment in reductions of Hydrocarbons and Co2 emissions for a diesel car/ truck (the level of particulate emission which the EU uses as it's reference) is now the same as LPG.

The Government when it put in place duty levels for LPG said its primary purpose was to increase the number of vehicles using LPG which they have had some success with.

However given that Euro 4 cars (diesels) are now available with an emission level equivalent to LPG then it does beg the question.

Will the Chancellor now increase rates of duty on LPG ?? Why does diesel continued to be penalised based on outdated thinking. ??

The Answer is because the Road transport industry continues to raise Billions of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some very interesting replies here and interesting the "Greens " have got us arguing within ourselves, as this is a democratic country, I will drive what I want when I want as long as it is legal. Certain individuals seem to think that by singaling out wehicle ommisions if they drive a small car it makes it OK. Lerts get real and look at the braoder picture of overall household emisions. Then you might find that some of the green brigade are not quite so green.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts