Gordon Brown & The Budget

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sorry if this sounds thick but here we go....is it just 4x4 or all vehicles that will have to pay the hike in car tax if c02 emmisions are high.....just that all the news programmes just concentrate on 4x4s...

sharon
All high polluting cars Sharron.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry about the table I produced earlier. Currently the top band is F which is 186g/km and above. From tomorrow F band is 186 to 224 g/km with rate of band G, that only applies to vehicles registered from tomorrow, which are above 225g/km of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me why Petrol is less expensive than Diesel for the new road fund licence? Surely if they emit the same Co2, they should be charged the same?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me why Petrol is less expensive than Diesel for the new road fund licence? Surely if they emit the same Co2, they should be charged the same?
Lol, because diesel cars have become more popular in the last few years especially in the large engine sector. Gordon has got it aimed at getting the most revenue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol, the reason diesel cars are charged extra is because the government base there criteria around information from over a decade ago when diesel engines had high particulate emmisions. Euro 4 engines present in all new diesels have eliminated particulate emmisions and they is no justification for this charge. However all diesel company car drivers are forced to pay a further 3% on the taxable value of the car because of this out of date information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Monkey

Are you saying it is more enviromently friendly to run 2 cars , 1 large to tow the van and 1 small for everyday use?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol, the reason diesel cars are charged extra is because the government base there criteria around information from over a decade ago when diesel engines had high particulate emmisions. Euro 4 engines present in all new diesels have eliminated particulate emmisions and they is no justification for this charge. However all diesel company car drivers are forced to pay a further 3% on the taxable value of the car because of this out of date information.
Richard, currently diesel cars that meet European Emission standard 1V are exempt the 3% levy. From April 4th 2006 the waiver will be removed from all cars registered after Jan 2006.

Ray

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Kevin he did get you.

Prices will go up because of his actions. If less people tow vans bacause of this, prices will go up on sites as well.

My daughter emailed me today, all the car users consultants and partners in her firm want a review re car expenses and their salaries reviewed.

She had the new dealS on the system last week!

Bottom line is the company will bill clients more.

Yeah, I know Kev. That doesn't worry you!

But I would just add thatthe companies main clients are HM GOV, and guess who pays for them Kev !

Sorry pal, Gordon got you and all the rest of us, even the Greens :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard, currently diesel cars that meet European Emission standard 1V are exempt the 3% levy. From April 4th 2006 the waiver will be removed from all cars registered after Jan 2006.

Ray
Thanks for this info Ray, shame my Accord was registered APril 05

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Gawd! I'm so confused by all this hyper babble on emissions and stuff, look experts - I tow with a 94 Isuzu 3.1 TD will it's road tax go up to

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Monkey

Are you saying it is more enviromently friendly to run 2 cars , 1 large to tow the van and 1 small for everyday use?
No I was saying that my wife runs the towcar with a low mileage (30 miles per week) I average about 100 miles per week to and from work in a family saloon but will probably moved down to a super mini in order to save a bit of money, although I keep the same car allowance at work so I should actually profit from this.

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Monkey

As my wife uses the car for work approx 40 miles per week and I use public transport we cant get much greener, recycle most of our refuse, house well insulated etc.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive V

I think your mate at the LPG group may have been a bit to near the pump, I've been reading the budget in full and have just stumbled across section 7.72

And I quote

"the Government today announces that, from 1 September 2006, duty rates on LPG will increase by the equivalent of 2.25 pence per litre, to reduce the differential with main rates by 1 penny per litre which will reflect more accurately the environmental benefits of the fuel; and that, also from 1 September, duty rates on NG will increase by the equivalent of 1.25 pence per litre, maintaining the differential with main rates.

Furthermore, the Government announces that the duty differential between LPG and main road fuels will be reduced by the equivalent of 1 penny per litre each year to 2008-09, and

that the duty differential between NG rates and main duty rates will be maintained each year until 2008-09, to reflect the differing environmental benefits of the two fuel types"

Don't know what to make of it but the old LPGA is a bit uneconomic with the truth !!.

According to an economist that a 35 % increase in tax !! I hope you don't pay a sub to that lot ??

MH

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Having a 2002 discovery I presume I will be his the worst. I am not too bothered as the MG will be going and I may even swap the Disco for the RR sport next year.

All this means is that I will now use the discovery for all my work. this includes trips to the centre of cities where I would have used the MG.

My choice, but towing the van is more important than owning 2 cars. Yes the MG could tow the van, but the Disco can do it so much better.

For people who have these type of cars this budget will not stop them from using them, but it will make it harder to vote the current government back in.

For me, the budget really let down the old people. This, for the first time makes me feel embarrassed to be British!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi MH

Cannot speak for the LPGA as I have nothing to do with them, even tho' they are just down the road from me.

We always knew the tax differential would be eroded over time but if you read the budget statement AND that of the LPGA you begin to see what I think is what is intended.

The DTI when it 100% sponsored the "BOOST LPG" Campaign for two years prior to handing it over to the LPGA, stated that the Government intended to maintain the cost of Autogas (LPG) at around 50% of petrol.

So with petrol now at circa 92p per litre (and diesel about 3 to 4p more) but LPG at only 39p per litre, LPG is only about 42% the cost of petrol and 41% the cost of diesel.

So I think us "Gas heads" will be grinning for a while yet.

As for it being a 35% Tax increase, over the next 4 years in total maybe, but you cannot compare that to annual %'age tax increases as you seem to infer.

A 2.25p per litre tax increase only "REDUCES THE DIFERENTIAL WITH MAIN RATES BY 1p PER LITRE".

Still grinning all the way to the bank! As well as polluting less whist driving there!!

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
What a lot of hot air over a miniscule bill (compared to all other motoring/caravanning costs) - and the irony is that those who go out and buy "offending" cars are those who will care even less. As Brown must have known that, you have to assume that he had no intention of penalising such people (so say thank you to your esteemed Chancellor all you gas guzzlers) - only something like a tripling of the road tax would have done that. All he has done is dressed up and put up another tax, which on this Earth, like death, is inevitable!

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
What a lot of hot air over a miniscule bill (compared to all other motoring/caravanning costs) - and the irony is that those who go out and buy "offending" cars are those who will care even less. As Brown must have known that, you have to assume that he had no intention of penalising such people (so say thank you to your esteemed Chancellor all you gas guzzlers) - only something like a tripling of the road tax would have done that. All he has done is dressed up and put up another tax, which on this Earth, like death, is inevitable!
Also, don't you find it odd that punitive measures intended to hit some groups often put big grins on the faces of unexpected quarters, usually the rich.

Examples:

1) London congestion charge - biggest smiles were from company directors who got a longer lie-in because their chauffeurs were able to whisk them to the office quicker once all the riff-raff had been priced out of town;

2) Ditto re "two-person-only" car lanes, once they are up and running - imagine, clear motorway lanes AND town centres for them!

3) But I see an opportunity for me, too. Once the "two person lanes" are here, the missus and I, by then retired, will poodle along in them to go about our leisurely business instead of travelling outside the rush-hours...well, I'm sure that's what the DoT did if for, didn't they??

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
clive v..."gio you are so predictable" do u have an issue with me, or is it just a case that u believe in ignoring the facts.

so now your mot tester is an interlect? and the black soot out

of a diesel is co2?

or rather because u can see it its worse than the stuff u cannot? yet the ten deadliest gasses are all invisable!

so tell me mr environmentalist, is your dicovery also lpg.?

and yes have u seen they will now start to close the gap on taxes

between lpg and petrol, cause the government can see that only

gas guzzlers took up the option, not the family saloon as they

so wished.

and u always go on about how u pay less for your fuel than anyone using other fossil fuels, which if u had a standard 2.0litre, that did 30 or 35 mpg,then i would be envious.

but i still get 3 times more mpg, than u. so u pay more to do

the same journey as me.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You're not comparing like for like there Giovanni. You may get 3 times the mileage that Clive gets, but you are not driving a car that weights over 2 tonnes. Even then, take into consideration the savings on LPG fuel and the costs involved are not that different. When the Govt introduced lower priced LPG with a tax incentive to buy, they were looking for people exactly like Clive to convert, large petrol being the worse offenders. Before you ask, I drive a diesel and prefer them to petrol for day to day running. Problem is, you must have ice in your veins, if you can't appreciate the noise a V8 makes...

TRENDING THREADS