Gordon Brown & The Budget

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Clive

The Government policy on fuel taxation stems from DOT thinking in the early 90's and so sadly is now massively out of date. Your absolutely right in what you say in the third paragraph but that was the thinking of the early 90's !!

Since then we have had at 4 statutory reductions forced on Vehicles producers. (Euro 1,2,3 & 4) the benefit to the environment in reductions of Hydrocarbons and Co2 emissions for a diesel car/ truck (the level of particulate emission which the EU uses as it's reference) is now the same as LPG.

The Government when it put in place duty levels for LPG said its primary purpose was to increase the number of vehicles using LPG which they have had some success with.

However given that Euro 4 cars (diesels) are now available with an emission level equivalent to LPG then it does beg the question.

Will the Chancellor now increase rates of duty on LPG ?? Why does diesel continued to be penalised based on outdated thinking. ??

The Answer is because the Road transport industry continues to raise Billions of

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

You can find your vehicle emisions either from a brochure of the car you own or you can get it from your registration document.

Ann's husband

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Del,

In our family we try to be as environmentally sensitive as possible, I'm proud to say we recycle more than we send to landfill that we have made many environmentally beneficial improvements to the house we have over the last two years.

Your assertion that people don't look at the bigger picture when using a small car is wrong. For many are forced into a small car because the Buses and trains in this country are very expensive.

Only last weekend I reached the conclusion that my next car will probably be a super mini type of vehicle. Because it will cost less to purchase, tax, insure, fuel and maintain than my family saloon.

We will continue to run a larger car purely because of our caravan and it's useful for carrying the odd larger things but its use is limited.

With the reduction of council tax in certain areas for those will to make sustainable environmental improvements to their house it will ultimately be polluter pays!"

Regards Monkeys Husband

May 25, 2005
Visit site
i do not object to 4x4s but when they use them to ferry children 500 yds to school this is just a joke as many do at several schools in our area, so it might make these lazy people who cant be bothered walking short distances to the school think before they drive these (gas guzzlers) to school. i know my veiws will upset a few people but this is what i beleive the tax duty rise for 4x4s may or may not stop this.
The 'Chelsea set' won't be bother one jot about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Monkeys husband said "With the reduction of council tax in certain areas for those will to make sustainable environmental improvements to their house it will ultimately be polluter pays!"

Does he really think that when the vast majority of people are like him that council tax will be lower for all? This is like saying that if everybody has a water meter fitted and we all save water that the cost will not rise. This is rip off Britain.

In the area I live you cannot even take your rubbish to the nearest recycling centre. You can only take it to the centre run by the council in the district you live. This means people have to drive up to 15 miles when the nearest centre is a mile away.

We are told this is because Gordon Brown penalises councils acording to the amount of waste they have to get rid off. You have to take a utility or council tax bill with you when you go to the centre.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

The government has stated that for those fitting "cavity wall insulation" a reduction in Council tax will apply - as I understand the scheme it won't apply to all as it down to local councils whether they take up the scheme.

Your situation with regards to waste does sound unusual to say the least - I would pose the question to my County council as to how environmentally sensitive this is!!

For the last week I've been working on a total waste management project (logistics) and I have to question who told you that story of the cost. Currently councils are getting over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All I know is that if you stick a clean cloth over the exhaust of a diesel you get soot

Do that with an LPG powerred car yo do not. My MOT tester says the CO2 test on my old Range Rover was considerably lower than any other car apart from another LPG vehicle.

This from the LPG Association - their budget press release

No doubt Gio and his "Diesel heads" will poo poo it as being biased.

But hey! - 39p per litre does rather underline my point - LMAO!

LP Gas Association

Pavilion 16

Headlands Business Park

Salisbury Road

RINGWOOD

Hampshire

BH24 3PB

Tel: 01425 461612

Fax: 01425 471131

Press Release

(FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE)

FURTHER GOVERNMENT COMMITMENT TO LPG

The Government demonstrated its long term commitment to LPG in the Chancellor's 2006 budget.

In an endorsement of the environmental advantages, especially air quality in urban areas, the chancellor announced a continuation of the existing differential arrangement in the fuel duty between LPG and petrol / diesel through to 2009. This means that the price of LPG at the pumps will continue at around half the price of petrol and diesel for the foreseeable future.

Tom Fidell, Director General of the LP Gas Association said "This is a clear message of support for LPG for the long term which gives motorists and fleet managers the confidence to purchase LPG vehicles and contribute to a cleaner motoring environment".

END

So it looks like you will enjoy cheap and "green" motoring Emmerson for a good few more years yet!

Gio - you really are so predictable!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Looks like Gordy has taken the side of the 'greens'! Alas, doesn't he realise that people who currently own the so-called 4x4 gas guzzlers, will hold on to their machines much longer - yet again causing more emisions. This government seems to have no idea of what to do next.

Gordies OK though!!! He doesn't drive!!! He has, however, a chaufer driven vehicle!!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
All I know is that if you stick a clean cloth over the exhaust of a diesel you get soot

Do that with an LPG powerred car yo do not. My MOT tester says the CO2 test on my old Range Rover was considerably lower than any other car apart from another LPG vehicle.

LP Gas Association

Pavilion 16

Headlands Business Park

Salisbury Road

RINGWOOD

Hampshire

BH24 3PB

Press Release

(FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE)

The Government demonstrated its long term commitment to LPG in the Chancellor's 2006 budget.

In an endorsement of the environmental advantages, especially air quality in urban areas, the chancellor announced a continuation of the existing differential arrangement in the fuel duty between LPG and petrol / diesel through to 2009. This means that the price of LPG at the pumps will continue at around half the price of petrol and diesel for the foreseeable future.

Tom Fidell, Director General of the LP Gas Association said "This is a clear message of support for LPG for the long term which gives motorists and fleet managers the confidence to purchase LPG vehicles and contribute to a cleaner motoring environment".

END

So it looks like you will enjoy cheap and "green" motoring Emmerson for a good few more years yet!

Oh well at least I can predict my heating cost in the caravan for the next three years !!!

MH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once Blunkett and Brown were in a car with their driver.

No disrespect to the disabled but considering the effect these two have had on the motorist it is interesting to note that between all three of them in that car, they had on average just one good eye each and only one of them had a full driving licence

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Looks like Gordy has taken the side of the 'greens'! Alas, doesn't he realise that people who currently own the so-called 4x4 gas guzzlers, will hold on to their machines much longer - yet again causing more emisions. This government seems to have no idea of what to do next.

Gordies OK though!!! He doesn't drive!!! He has, however, a chaufer driven vehicle!!!
Ann he's socially responsible he's creating employment !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

LP Gas Association

Pavilion 16

Headlands Business Park

Salisbury Road

RINGWOOD

Hampshire

BH24 3PB

Press Release

(FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE)

END

Well that is one advantage!!

LOL!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Once Blunkett and Brown were in a car with their driver.

No disrespect to the disabled but considering the effect these two have had on the motorist it is interesting to note that between all three of them in that car, they had on average just one good eye each and only one of them had a full driving licence
Clive,

You know what I think the saying goes "what you don't know .you won't miss!!

Regards Monkeys Husband

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Monkey - How is he encouraging employment? The purchase of 4x4's will drop, as will the big twin-axle caravans. He is getting at the Chelsea lot not the 'normal' motorist who is trying to be safe on the road. To me, it just doesn't add up.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Monkey - How is he encouraging employment? The purchase of 4x4's will drop, as will the big twin-axle caravans. He is getting at the Chelsea lot not the 'normal' motorist who is trying to be safe on the road. To me, it just doesn't add up.
Ann

I was being ferocious (re the chauffer)

Regards Monkeys Husband

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann

If you listened to the budget today it was said that it affects all vehicles that emit more than 235 g/km which incidentaly affects my 3 year old volvo. but more importantly it only affects new vehicles which are registered after today. So we can all continue to spew out emissions and still pay the same road tax

Tom

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
sorry if this sounds thick but here we go....is it just 4x4 or all vehicles that will have to pay the hike in car tax if c02 emmisions are high.....just that all the news programmes just concentrate on 4x4s...

sharon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts