Gorge du Verdon

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone caravanned in the area around the Gorge du Verdon in Provence ? Can anyone recommend any good sites and, apart from the gorge, what else should we go and see in the area in June ?

Thanks all

John M

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The Verdon gorge is fantastic. I'd stay at the Castellane end, and do the left (south) bank down, around over the bridge at the bottom, and the right (north) bank back. Start early morning for the best views from all the viewpoints, and spend some time on one of the beaches near the lake at the bottom for lunch (picnic, or one of the many restaurants). A pedalo back up the gorge is worth doing to, to get the scale of the thing - and you can just go for an hour or so.

June is a good time to go - outside the peak season, and even the busiest sites should be fine then. We stayed at Le Camp du Verdon (which is a Camping Cheques site and takes Camping Cheques until the 30th june) when we were there. It's a while ago now, but I remember it being a very nice site. Castellane is very pleasant, with a good market. Climb up the Rccher to the little church on the top. When we were there you could collect the key at the bottom, open up the church, and take the key back at the end of your visit, but I have a feeling things might have changed. If you want to wander a little further afield then the lavender fields of the plateau of Valensole are lovely, as is the honey museum (you can dress up in beekeeping gear and handle the bees - and it's free). The town of Riez has a lovely market. Do visit the pottery shops at Moustiers-Ste-Marie! An experience in itself.

It's also not that far to drive down to the Riviera for a half day, and a bit further afield Sillans la Cascade is worth looking at if you're in the area.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We stopped with the caravan at Port Grimaud and it was a lovely day out to the Gorge. There is so much to see on the coast St Tropez, Grimaud village in the hills, and of course the Port of Grimaud. Enjoy.

Dianne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Verdon gorge is fantastic. I'd stay at the Castellane end, and do the left (south) bank down, around over the bridge at the bottom, and the right (north) bank back. Start early morning for the best views from all the viewpoints, and spend some time on one of the beaches near the lake at the bottom for lunch (picnic, or one of the many restaurants). A pedalo back up the gorge is worth doing to, to get the scale of the thing - and you can just go for an hour or so.

June is a good time to go - outside the peak season, and even the busiest sites should be fine then. We stayed at Le Camp du Verdon (which is a Camping Cheques site and takes Camping Cheques until the 30th june) when we were there. It's a while ago now, but I remember it being a very nice site. Castellane is very pleasant, with a good market. Climb up the Rccher to the little church on the top. When we were there you could collect the key at the bottom, open up the church, and take the key back at the end of your visit, but I have a feeling things might have changed. If you want to wander a little further afield then the lavender fields of the plateau of Valensole are lovely, as is the honey museum (you can dress up in beekeeping gear and handle the bees - and it's free). The town of Riez has a lovely market. Do visit the pottery shops at Moustiers-Ste-Marie! An experience in itself.

It's also not that far to drive down to the Riviera for a half day, and a bit further afield Sillans la Cascade is worth looking at if you're in the area.
Thanks for that - very useful.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
We stopped with the caravan at Port Grimaud and it was a lovely day out to the Gorge. There is so much to see on the coast St Tropez, Grimaud village in the hills, and of course the Port of Grimaud. Enjoy.

Dianne
We are going to the South of France in May. We have booked in at Les Pinedes, La Colle Sur Loop. We expect to go to The Gorge de Verdon and the info. from Evans of Sprot is very useful.Does anyone have any tips/info. about the Ardeche gorge?

Cheers

Emcee

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site

sorry I should have put thanks to Val C

grovel grovel

Emcee

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
John

I would agree with all that Val said. We stayed at the Camp du Verdon in June 2006 and it was very good. It is a 'Castel' site and has all the amenities you could want. The drive along the gorge to Le Moustier is beautiful.

Lawrence

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts