Green Option & Cost Effective ??

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Looking at 2009 Holiday, going to Biarritz

Which option is Greenest and most Cost Effective ???

Aberdeen to Plymouth 600 miles

Plymouth Santander Ferry

Santander to Biarritz 150 miles

Aberdeen to Newcastle 240 miles

Newcastle Amsterdam Ferry

Amsterdam to Biarritz 765 miles

Aberdeen to Dover 600 miles

Dover to Calais Ferry or Tunnel ( Tesco Vouchers )

Calais to Biarritz 630 miles

I just list the above to show the complexity of doing what's best for the pocket and the environment.

All distances are approx Time is not an issue retired caravanners. Tow with a Toyota Land Cruiser (diesel) Bessacarr Cameo 465GL 8m MTPLM 1850 kg

I will put £10 into the British Legion Collection Box for the best answer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning Frank. The "green" bit of your trip doesn't interest me, cos we can't change it anyway.Que sera, sera. As for the cost, well from your previous posts, I'd suggest that, like a lot of us pensioners who've got it right, the cost isn't the most important issue. Therefore, my answer would have to be, go the way you'll enjoy most!!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Is this a wind up Frank. You are worried about being green yet want to take a caravan on the back of a Land Cruiser to the south west of France over a 1000 miles from your home.

If you are that concerned about your green credentials have you thought about changing your outfit ;-)

I followed two elderly Citroen 2cv's in France the other day, they must throw out more harmful emisions in a week than your outfit if you could tow all the way there and back without tunnel or ferry use :)

If you are really going to Biarritz wear and extra wooly jumper this winter and cut down on you heating emmisions and just go and enjoy :)

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Frank

Well I definatley would not go via Calais as it is not a drive I enjoy.

To me its a toss up between Plymouth and Newcastle.

I use the Newcastle crossing myself as it is normally not much dearer then going to Calais by the time you factor in the cost of an overnight stop both ways and the extra fuel.

It is Always better to book a little in advance with DFDS but a tip on keeping the cost down is to traval either Monday or Sunday as you don't pay for the caravan.

I am assuming that you purchase your caravan at Dyce so you will need a little extra luxury. Book Commodore class your vehicle will have its windows cleaned, you get loading and unloading. Brakfast is included in the price which almost negates the increased cost and a wonderfull breakfast it is too.

For whatever reason I also tend to find that running down through the low countries I get about 3 -4 mpg better than coming down the M6. The ferry normally has you off for 9am which means that by the time you leave Ijmuden traffic is realativley light.

I have only sailed from Plymouth to Brittany before although I seem to remeber that the sail to Santander is almost 2 days which if you enjoy the boat bit my be rather enjoyable but I think the price of the ferry is high.

To give you an indication Newcastle sailing in July for 3 comodore class is only

May 25, 2008
Visit site
SS " You are worried about being green " Not At All

I just asked for the Greenest Option, any idea how CO2 a ferry chucks out ??. If you think about flying to say Nice and then Hiring a Car Staying in a Static is that greener and more Cost Effective??? That was the debate I was looking for along with the cost option.

We can afford any option (lucky people), I thought it may help others if we all take a little time, to relate what we all do for long distance travel.

Slowcoach thanks for that

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Well I doubt that they will lay on an extra plane or ferry to get you to your destination no matter what you choose to do. So the Easy Jet or P&O will still be pumping out the nasties no matter what you choose.

I will be away for most of July and August to France and Italy (Spain maybe) with my sister and my nieces. I've seen the price of statics at sites I use and they are not attractive though like you price is not a problem. We are touring caravanners and planes and statics are not an option. Aberdeen to PLymouth, no thank you! Santander ferry, no thank you. It's only a 2 day cruise if the weather is good. Horrible start or end to a holiday if the weather is not on side and then you have a long drive back to Aberdeen from Plymouth.

In your position I would be taking slowcoach's Newcastle DFDS ferry, and feel happy that I was saving a few pennies using continental diesel and depriving G Brown of the fuel tax here.

He wants us off the roads, so use the continental ones Frank ;-)

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Thank's Shady that is what I was looking for. It just seems that a lot of people who go to France etc, are not Touring in the definition of the word. Most people seem to go to France for a two week break and that's it.

Newcastle would seem to be the best option for us, now that Fast Ferries have dumped the Rosyth route. Still someone else may take that over and make it a success.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Aberdeen to Biarritz is quite a Grand Tour Frank, as retiree's with time not an issue could you not make Biarritz the midway stop in a "Grand Tour".

May be head from Holland to Italy and the lakes or coast and then across the south of France to Biarritz, or go to Biarritz and then head to Italy and round trip back to Scotland. It's a long trip for you, and a steady trip around Europe could make it better value for your time effort and money.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There are websites which will allow you to calculate which is greenest. If you google 'carbon footprint' you should find lots of websites which will calculate your journey emissions and compare them with other methods of transport. You may have to do it in stages - ie your car journey for each leg, and then the ferry for each leg, rather than as complete journeys, but it would be an interesting comparison.

In January the Guardian stated that the Santander Ferry was the 'greenest' way to get to Northern Spain (which is about as near Biarritz as a popular headline will get you!). However, they only compared it to flying, and rail travel, so I'm not sure where caravanning comes into the equation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts