Green Toms!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately, this year has been less sunny than usual and a great deal wetter in the Sheffield area!!! Having sown my tomatoes and put them in the ground they flourished, surprisingly! However the crop is still 'green'. Can anyone suggest how they can be ripened? Or has anyone any idea what to do with them. I know I am leaving myself wide open for replies but this is a serious (tongue in cheek) question!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Put a Banana next to them, it has worked for me in the past.otherwise as it has already been said on the windowsill in the light.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replieeis. I did think about placing them in the light and wait for the ripening stage. However, there are so many I don't have enough window sill space!!! I think the wine idea sounds good.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
the banana is the best idea, put one in a paper bay with a few tomoatoes. the banana gives off phosgene gas which will ripen the toms, or any other fruit you mention. that is why you shouldn't keep bananas in a mixed fruit bowl - the other fruit will go off more quickly.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. It has been decided to carry out an experiment! Three options available, before making the wine.

1. Keep some on the windowsill.

2. Keep some in a bowl with a banana.

3. Keep some in a drawer covered by a tea towel.

Might be a while before I get back with the results. Patience comes to mind!

Ann

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think my mum would put a ripe tomato or two in the greenhouse with the crop. Similar principle to the banana.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

As promised, I am back with the info on the best way to ripen green tomatoes.

The best method I find is leaving them on a tea towel and covered by another one in a drawer. 98% have already been harvested and are delicious. The other 2% are continuing to ripen as I type.

There was me --- at one point I was all for throwing them into the dustbin!

Ann

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts