Whale Space Heater - four red flashes and broken knob

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
I'd really appreciate some help with this one.

Problem 1:
When I turn the whale space heater to cold it runs for about 5 seconds and turns off, then gives 4 red flashes. (Ignore knob in wrong direction - see Problem 2.)
1000026152.jpg

4 red flashes ahould be aomething blocking the exhaust pipe. I can't see anything (unless this it the wrong pipe).
1000026156.jpg

This is the adjacent inlet/outlet:
1000026155.jpg

Looking behind the panelling:
1000026157.jpg

I can't see any obvious outlet on the outside of the caravan and everything else seems to happen under the floor below the above red panel.

Problem 2:
The knob is in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how to change it back.
1000026149.jpg
1000026150.jpg

Any help with these two would be greatly appreciated!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Is it windy where you are. Whale heaters are notoriously sensitive o wind blowing directly onto the flue. If so see if you can divert the wind using the Aquaroll or moving your car around to that side of the van. Don’t block the flue though. Then press the reset button on the whale heater.
Can’t help with the broken knob, sorry
Mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'd really appreciate some help with this one.

Problem 1:
When I turn the whale space heater to cold it runs for about 5 seconds and turns off, then gives 4 red flashes. (Ignore knob in wrong direction - see Problem 2.)
View attachment 6656

4 red flashes ahould be aomething blocking the exhaust pipe. I can't see anything (unless this it the wrong pipe).
View attachment 6659

This is the adjacent inlet/outlet:
View attachment 6660

Looking behind the panelling:
View attachment 6661

I can't see any obvious outlet on the outside of the caravan and everything else seems to happen under the floor below the above red panel.

Problem 2:
The knob is in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how to change it back.
View attachment 6657
View attachment 6658

Any help with these two would be greatly appreciated!
The pipes you are looking at are the ducting that heats your van. The exhaust or flu is under the van directly below the heater.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just googled ‘Whale heater control replacement knob’ and I think you will find a direct replacement although if you find a generic one that fits it will be rather cheaper! Try searching ‘control knob’ to see if you can find a suitable one for a few pence!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If the lower control is not lining up with the notation on the surround it should be possible to loosen the nut, gently twist and retighten in the correct alignment. If in doubt make sure the 12v and mains is OFF then remove the screw cover caps and undo the retaining screws so you can see the connections while straightening up - or maybe your van allows you access from the back via the overhead locker?

Reactions: TheCheltenham
Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
I've done some digging around inside. I've not checked the full length of the internal tubes as they are 2 inches wide and are clear at the internal opening (see opening post) and at the point they go under the floor, see here:
1000026375.jpg
And:
1000026369.jpg

So it looks clear on the inside - although I'm not sure about how to get into the main heater box below the floor.

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
Looking outside, (thanks @Jcloughie) there seem to be two 1 inch wide pipes:
1000026364.jpg

I thought one might be blocked but it was just cob webs. I stuck and old coat hanger down both tubes and the first seemed clear. The second the hanger got stuck on something, but it could have just been a bend. Tested again, still 4 red flashes.

It seems like I might be able to take the bottom tubes off, so I'll have a go at that. They are about 3 and 5 feet long, so I might need to take them inside and flush them with water.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts