Grin Low CC site

May 14, 2006
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if this site is accessible from the main A road (A537 i think) from Macclesfield. The CC site handbook says the A54 is not suitable and the road from Macclesfield seems to meet the A54 near to the site.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Lee,

I have never towed a caravan up the A537 from Macclesfield but know the road very well.

Not sure if you're familiar with the road, but it is fairly steep in places and has numerous tight corners favoured by motorcyclists. The road is mentioned in many national biking magazines and attracts riders from around the country.

The Cat and Fiddle pub is situated at the peak and is the meeting place for the bikers.

If you do decide to use the road, beware of bikers suddenly overtaking you at high speed.

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee

Sorry we can't comment on the A54. We towed our twin-axle Landranger from Macclesfield to Buxton via A537 last year. No problems. Some gradients and hairpin bends but nothing too severe. A very scenic route. The Grin Low site is accesible from the A54 we drove along that bit of the A54 from where it joins A537. We stayed at Longnor Woods a very pleasant site but "adults only".

Where are you coming from. The A53 Leek to Buxton route is, also, fine for towing if that is of any use to you.

Regards

Tim

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
I have towed from Macclesfield to Grin Low and Macclesfield to Chatsworth passed Grin Low many times over the passed 20 years. For the passed 10 years towing large twin axles. It is an excellent road for towing with lovely views.

The A54 from Congleton to Buxton is ok even towing a large twin axle, but unless your tow car has plenty of pulling power up steep hills I would go via Macclesfield.

Over the years the only cars i have seen having problems towing caravans over the Cat and Fiddle were cars not up to the job.

There are motor bikes and some have been killed on this road but I have never had any problem. The police now seem to be on top of the problem.

If you are towing over the Cat and Fiddle in winter as we do to Chatsworth C.C.site, if it is snowing first of all check that the road is open as it soon gets blocked witjh snow.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts