Grr, lost my mover remote today through my own stupidity

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Forgot to lock shut my battery compartment. In there is the switch for the mover. I usually tuck the remote in next to the switch.
I have been staying a short distance from my storage at a site near to South Cerney for the vintage extravaganza. On the way back I noticed the door flapping about. Pulled over to sort it out then discovered remote had gone. Storage site gave me a different space which is easier to reverse into. Dropped the van off and retraced my journey , driving slowly and annoying people, but to no avail. It’s either been flicked away from the road or crushed into thousands of pieces by a steam roller leaving the show !

Looking at prices they seem to vary a lot. I see there are some universal ones about. How does replacing it work usually, do they have to be “paired” in some way?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I once did similar. But I left it on the ‘A’nframe. I retraced my journey and found it. And yes, it was in bits. Replacements are grossly overpriced. I don't know about universal once but I think they would be fine.

Very nearly went to South Cerney today but wife's foot too bad to be walking all day.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I once did similar. But I left it on the ‘A’nframe. I retraced my journey and found it. And yes, it was in bits. Replacements are grossly overpriced. I don't know about universal once but I think they would be fine.

Very nearly went to South Cerney today but wife's foot too bad to be walking all day.

John
It’s incredibly frustrating to think that on the three runs I did, I almost certainly drove past it. But what can I do? I can’t forensically search every square metre of land between the campsite and storage. When I get a replacement I shall keep it in the car. And make sure I lock the bloody battery locker in future.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Not the first nor the last sadly. Like Jcloughie mine was left on the "A" frame.
I was in France at the time but my dealer posted a replacement to a site I was about to use. Very grateful.
Cost mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm From memory over £200

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
What make of mover is it that you have? I have a spare hand control which was new just last September but from experience, I can tell you that "universal" ones aren't anything of the sort. .............. And yes! a new one needs to be paired with your control box.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
If you are looking to buy a replacement handset, I can recommend https://www.arelectronics.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d1036_Caravan-Handset-Sales.html

Thanks for the recommendation Jaydug. I don't even know which mover I have . I presume it will say somewhere on the the device. Didn't have time to do much. After my searching, I only had ten minutes before the storage site close time so just had to concentrate on getting my stuff out. I'll have a look next time I'm down there. I wont be using the van for a while now so no panic to replace.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really scandalous but coming from Arc it will be good quality and value for money. How much would an OEM replacement have cost.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Looks like under half the price of the OEM versions depending on what model your mover is. How about a strip of stick and stick Velcro for the replacement so wherever you decide to stow it it stays put?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like under half the price of the OEM versions depending on what model your mover is. How about a strip of stick and stick Velcro for the replacement so wherever you decide to stow it it stays put?
Wish I had thought of that when I placed my wallet and mobile phone on the car roof. Total loss of both items.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
thing is you didn't mislay your handset, you forgot to lock the locker, :rolleyes: perhaps a tick list would be handy for you in the future.
Def could do with a tick list. No matter how much I check the sky lights when leaving storage, I’m always worried I’ve left one open. To the point I often take a picture of them shut so I don’t worry when I get home.

Reactions: joanie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
One of the problems is caravan lockers relying on a key. If the also had a catch it would still be secure if locking was forgotten. It would also make life easier not having to find a key all the time.

Like the OP I forgot to lock a small locker. It came open en route, no damage done but lost my mobility scooter charger.

John

Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
One of the problems is caravan lockers relying on a key. If the also had a catch it would still be secure if locking was forgotten. It would also make life easier not having to find a key all the time.

Like the OP I forgot to lock a small locker. It came open en route, no damage done but lost my mobility scooter charger.

John
most modern vans now have one key fits all, so that's a good thing 😄 I think that most of us loose something , we lost the gas flap once, as we didn't secure it properly . The motorways must be littered with caravan parts, however we do have a tick list now (y)

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Most of my lockers have catch, it’s just the battery and gas lockers which have to have a key turned …. Even my toilet cassette compartment has a key…. Who the hell would want to nick that?!

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
most modern vans now have one key fits all, so that's a good thing 😄 I think that most of us loose something , we lost the gas flap once, as we didn't secure it properly . The motorways must be littered with caravan parts, however we do have a tick list now (y)
I’ve lost two propane spanners in six months going to make sure I put the new on on a chain secured somewhere.

Reactions: joanie
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Having nearly lost my Powrtouch remote by leaving it on the A Frame, I decided to get a spare one from eBay. It was cheaper than getting one from Powrtouch, and gives me peace of mind, in case I succeed next time in losing a remote.

Reactions: A&R Electronics
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Many remotes come with a mounting bracket that hangs on the wall - if you got one of those and put it inside the locker, even if the door was open it would reduce the likelihood of it falling out. Probably.

One of the things I really like about the design of our Bailey, compared to previous caravans, is that it has a small locker just inside the door which is accessible without entering the caravan. Mrs Gozza calls it my "boy c**p locker". I keep the towing mirrors in there, the spirit level, the motor mover remote, and all the other things that I need access to at either end of a towing journey but rarely at any other time. The holder for the remote is screwed to the inside of the locker door and so is an old bike waterbottle holder which is just the right size for a bottle of Aquasol. Only thing to add is a bracket to hold a torch, once Gozza Junior 3D-prints it for me.

I still make mistakes and lose things (just ask Mrs Gozza!) but it reduces the likelihood, and keeps all those things where I can get to them without going inside the caravan with my dirty shoes on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many remotes come with a mounting bracket that hangs on the wall - if you got one of those and put it inside the locker, even if the door was open it would reduce the likelihood of it falling out. Probably.

One of the things I really like about the design of our Bailey, compared to previous caravans, is that it has a small locker just inside the door which is accessible without entering the caravan. Mrs Gozza calls it my "boy c**p locker". I keep the towing mirrors in there, the spirit level, the motor mover remote, and all the other things that I need access to at either end of a towing journey but rarely at any other time. The holder for the remote is screwed to the inside of the locker door and so is an old bike waterbottle holder which is just the right size for a bottle of Aquasol. Only thing to add is a bracket to hold a torch, once Gozza Junior 3D-prints it for me.

I still make mistakes and lose things (just ask Mrs Gozza!) but it reduces the likelihood, and keeps all those things where I can get to them without going inside the caravan with my dirty shoes on.
Our remote travelled in the glove box in a cloth bag containing remote one spare red key, and the green widget to realign a 13 pin socket. After arrival on site the bag was put onto a hook by the caravan door.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts