haggerston castle any good?

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
hi everyone i have booked the van into the haven camp called haggerston castle near berwick upon tweed, in june usual thing me my wife and two kids aged 6 and baby of twelve months place looks fantastic in the brochure but they always do ! can anyone tell me if its as good as it looks. thanks very much from phill

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
If you`ve already booked and paid Phillip, then I hope you have a pleasant time.

If you haven`t paid out yet, do a search on this and other forums for "Haggerston Castle" and then take the appropriate action.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this and other sites, it can be worthwhile (an cheaper and not so disappointing) using ther experiences if you`re not sure.

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
I have been to Haggerston castle for the past 4 years on and off excellent base for exploring the area very cheep if you book on line swimming pool entertainment on tap at no extra cost just avoid buying drinks in the bars as it is expensive great activities for kids just go and enjoy.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Never been but we are the same we booked a Haven this year. Have a look on www.ukcampsite.co.uk site reviews, pretty impartial views on each sie, quite handy when booking.

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
hi guys i have used haven before as a single guy with my mates and found them ok the reason i booked was because i got a week in june for less than 80 quid on a super pitch and there where only two spaces left so i didnt have time to check it out on here plus as we live in newcastle its about 45 mins up the road so i thought it might just be worth the risk not something i would do every time, i expected the food and drink to be expensive as on these kind of centres they normally are as you are a captive audience so to speak but thanks guys really good to here from you all

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pillip

we were there for Easter week-end 2006 but sorry to say that touring facilities were not so good then when wet as you are up to knees in mud.

Apart from that all the entertainment was really good.

Bryan

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've never been to Haggerston but in my mind have it marked down as a no no. I only recall bad posts about it. One was of the site getting flooded and the staff couldn't care less and did nothing to help.

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
hi bryan thanks for your input i can well imagine what it was like at easter i went to the haven camp in cleethorpes once in april and my pitch was in the middle of a muddy field not pleasant! but hopefully this time it will be drier as we are going in middle of june and supposed to be on a hardstanding super pitch but this IS england so fingers crossed oh yes by the way would you or anyone else know about the cycle hire how much it is im taking my little boys bike and need to rent one for me any input would be grand thanks

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I would also take earplugs if you want some sleep, wellies in case you need to use the toilet block (for inside, not to walk there) and a peg for your nose as the smell of stale urine was disgusting.

This was in the last week of September. God help you in high season.

As I`ve said before on this subject, if I had to stop there, I would sell the van. I`d rather be at work.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I would also take earplugs if you want some sleep, wellies in case you need to use the toilet block (for inside, not to walk there) and a peg for your nose as the smell of stale urine was disgusting.

This was in the last week of September. God help you in high season.

As I`ve said before on this subject, if I had to stop there, I would sell the van. I`d rather be at work.
Lmaooooooooooooo :O) heh! heh!

May 2, 2005
Visit site
We satayed at the CC site in Berwick last year

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Planning your trip/UK Trips/Site Search and Book/Club Sites/Site Detail.htm?csid=SEAVIEW&site=Seaview&region=North East England&county=-1
and we visited Haggerston Castle to see what it was like.

To be perfectly honest.........and sorry to be be brutal, but...I would rather stay at home......

Filthy, rowdy, really rubbish look to it.........not for us.

We would never book Haven based on this site....and we have told them so.

Sorry.....David

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Ditto what's been said above Phillip. We were there last October but should be honest and own up that it was our second visit (last time was in a static).

Facilities poor, pitches tightly packed together, poor staffing on touring site but ...................

kids loved it and want to go back!!!!

On a positive note, it's directly off the A1 so no tight country lanes to negotiate, the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful, the on-site shop is well stocked, it has a great golf course and a fabulous all-you-can-eat chinese restaurant. Steer clear of the 'funworks' and use it as a base and it's fine. Have a great time - your kids will love it.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Just seen your question re cycle hire - can't remember exactly but think you pay by the hour and it's quite expensive. We hired one of those seaside type 4 seaters which the kids loved but seem to remember it being about

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Phillip

We stayed at Haggerston Castle for 4 nights during the Easter school holidays. I have to say the entertainment facilities, pool etc were good. However, the touring facilities were an absolute disgrace. Yes there had been a lot of rain and the park was muddy, but you cant tell me that after last year they didnt know there was a drainage problem. The toilet block only seemed to be visited briefly once a day. The shower drains were clogged every morning and were filthy. Never saw the touring warden once during our stay. (It was her day off when we arrived). We stayed at the Haven site (Kiln Park ) last summer and it was very clean. Miles better than Haggerston. I returned their e-questionair with added comments about the touring facilities, and surprise, surprise, I have had no reply whatsoever. I for one will not be returning to Haggerston.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
We can only agree with Ewan we were there the first week in April this year for four nights.We never seen the warden all week, the pitches were very tight and like a ploughed field(

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
hi guys thanks to you one and all for your info it does sound pretty much like the other haven site i went to, muddy expensive and dirty toilets all these things i can cope with and as you all know so well a touring holiday is what you make it it does sound great for my kids which is the main reason for going. all your input has been much appreciated and i feel a lot better knowing what sort of a place to expect, i will certainly be a little more selective next time i book ,this was really a bit of a short notice thing and i just wanted somewhere pretty local and cheap to book in , thanks once again to you all

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
well im suprised by the comments about haggerston,but saying that it was 2yrs ago when we last visited the site and we found it reasonably good but like i said it was 2yrs ago

if you do go,head north on the a1 then turn right a the first roundabout and there is a decent caravan and camping shop on the right(if its still there that is)if you need anything,also down that road,not sure which turn on the right but the road takes you to a beach with the cleanest sea ive seen in ages

also the camp is inbetween newcastle and edinburgh which is handy for days out

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
if hagerston castle is the area that you want to go to, try east ord just up the road towards berwick on tweed it has excellent facilities and a bar/resturant. BUT it is not anything like a haven site no rowdiness

try googling east ord caravan site.or the caravan club have on at spittal in the same area.[but it is expensive].

myra

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts