Hard pitches!!

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Is it just me? Even the impact driver with rock screws have struggled to break through the substance they put down. We've only chosen a hard pitch because they're reasonably nice and level.
Cheers! ST.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The standard seems to vary from site to site, I find the worst are those that have large stones in them and heavily compacted. I just persevere with decent pegs, a lump hammer, determination and a bad temper!

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
One of the reasons we prefer grass pitches.

On the odd occasion we find ourselves on hard standing the awning tends to stay in its bag.

Reactions: GUMPY
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I stayed on a site near Tideswell in the Peak District and I ruined nine smooth steel rock pegs when trying to extract them! They went in easy enough but it was like trying to pull a large nail out of a plank of wood by hand. I had to bash them sideways to get them loose enough to pull out.
On a site in Harlech the 4” dressing of limestone chipping over sand gave no purchase and the pegs pulled straight out when the wind picked up.
The hard-standing pitches at the lovely CCC site in Chertsey also proved problematic. The dressing comprised flint chippings which almost punctured one of the air beams of my air awning. Fortunately I had some squares of butyl rubber with me which I placed under the feet of the beams to protect them.
In Northumberland the caravan was parked on a concrete pad but this meant you couldn’t peg the rear of the awning down. I had to tie it down with cords wrapped around the corner steadies.
I‘m currently in France and the pitch is thoroughly compacted sand which is on a par with grass which is my favourite.
So, yes pitch types vary hugely from site to site from excellent to nigh on useless.

Reactions: Slowtow and Buckman
May 25, 2023
Visit site
I can’t get them in to start with!! Just had jockey wheel changed cos motor mover hates the rocks and slate - thought I was just being feeble. Often find remains of pegs with plastic head intact embedded in stones w here previous campers have given up extraction!!

Reactions: Slowtow
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
After my outing in June getting the pegs out of grass was a trial! Steel pegs with a small lump hammer to get them in. Broke one of those plastic topped pullers - and the plastic tops to several of the pegs. I think I needed a substantial claw hammer but borrowed an all metal puller and hoped it didn’t just bend in use! Fortunately you are able to replace the peg tops - just order for the diameter of the peg and also bought myself a puller of similar ilk so see how that fares next time the ground is rock solid!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Woosies stayed at Rivendale Ashbourne. Set in an old quarry an SDS drill was mandatory. The site is another which has ditched Tourers in favour of Lodges

TRENDING THREADS