Hardstanding Materials

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why do so many sites use cheap jack inferior materials that totally spoil the site.
smiley-undecided.gif

I know of one in South Devon that uses road tarmac scrapings. These have a habit of melting in the sun causing nasty black tar marks to appear on the caravan carpet and awning carpet.
One this year uses slate quarry flint spoil which can only be described as downright dangerous. Very much like glass shards. The flints are razor sharp and get everywhere. It was a never ending battle keeping the caravan floor safe!

You'd think in the 21st century there would be an industry standard???

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Went to one site in Somerset, where the hard standings were all block paving and they were very big, must have cost a fortune.

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The worse that I've come across is at Slinfold CC Site. I gave up on the awning because I bent every peg I attempted. It was an old railway station and I guess my pitch used to be the platform
smiley-yell.gif

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
steve w77 said:
Went to one site in Somerset, where the hard standings were all block paving and they were very big, must have cost a fortune.
A bu$$er to get rock pegs in to I bet!

We stayed on the CC site at Charmouth last year and the hardstandings were a finely ground rubber material, recycled car tyres or similar. Dead easy to peg into and soft underfoot. The only problem was the bits that got carried into the van but at least they weren't sharp. Would rate it as the best hardstanding surface we've ever used.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Went to a site where the awning bit of the hardstanding was patio slabs! OK if you had a standard size full awning on an average four berth van as the awning edge fell outside the slabs but if you had a porch awning then only the outside edge pegged down and if you had a little van......well no chance.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed CC sites often having some very hard material under the gravel and these are difficult to get even steel pegs into. A lot of it may be large stones as I have noticed that quite often if you use a different spot the ground is often not so bad. Easy for guy ropes but less so for the walls.

TRENDING THREADS