Has anyone uprated their susspension on a range rover evoque to tow a caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think Dusty Dog was having a sly dig at the weight I have put on and the strain on the rear springs of my Santa Fe. It is interesting as the Pedders right up states that it fits all Versions of the SF for the years fitment, my SF does NOT have self levelling but if these would fit directly then if I had a damper or spring fail it is something I would think about replaceing the OE with.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think Dusty Dog was having a sly dig at the weight I have put on and the strain on the rear springs of my Santa Fe. It is interesting as the Pedders right up states that it fits all Versions of the SF for the years fitment, my SF does NOT have self levelling but if these would fit directly then if I had a damper or speing fail it is something I would rhink about replaceing the OE with.
The Subaru dealer said I could just replace the broken spring but to me that was a lowest cost stop gap. It would have meant dismantling it from the coil over arrangement with its damper. I would not know if the damper had weakened. Then the advise was change the broken side but it was a known weakness and no way of telling if the other side was on its way out. Also call me conservative but changing one side for new and leaving a worn one with nearly 50000 miles usage did not strike me as a good idea. So changing both sets together hopefully future proofs my rear suspension.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think Dusty Dog was having a sly dig at the weight I have put on and the strain on the rear springs of my Santa Fe. It is interesting as the Pedders right up states that it fits all Versions of the SF for the years fitment, my SF does NOT have self levelling but if these would fit directly then if I had a damper or spring fail it is something I would think about replaceing the OE with.
Of course not Hutch. That would be the kettle calling the pot black🤪

The original mk 1 Sorento came with SL, using the special shock absorbers. Well worth checking out the Pedders as and when yours wear out

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Back in the dark ages I used these. They stiffened the back end admirably. Then whilst towing one spring fractured. These stiffeners in effect applied an overload to the free part of the spring causing premature failure.
I can see the benefit of the MADDs but never needed them ..There are various shock absorber upgrades which may give a better stiffening result. Eg some of the simple self levelling ones. Modern cars have so many electronic control systems I’d like to know how they are affected by such modifications ?
We had the item above on our old vauxhall zifira 1.8 automatic it help the back end when we were towing

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually have problems with the rear suspension bottoming out on your Zafira? Strange that unless the springs were suffering from old age or the back end was overloaded.
At that time we were only towing a 1998 Bailey Ranger 460/2 end washroom and when we put it on the first time without the spring assisters it would sit very low and the dealership advise us to put them on it was a 2009 Vauxhall Zafira probably the previous owner had overloaded . but it towed great

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Having towed with several Evoques, Freelanders and Discovery Sports both privately and at the Tow Car Awards events, there is absolutely no need to do anything to the suspension. They are all very capable tow cars as they are and have high enough nose weight limits for the vast majority of caravans (usually 100kg as others have said).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts