Has anyone uprated their susspension on a range rover evoque to tow a caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suppose the obvious question is why? it’s a Range Rover and based on the Freelander 2 a good towing vehicle. Do you have a problem when towing?

I have used MAD spring assistance springs on two cars but they were quite soft at the back end with long overhangs. The MAD assisters did work okay and didn’t affect the cars solo ride.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I assume you are talking about a caravan with an Al-ko hitch? Your RR presumably has an Al-ko extended tow ball . Their maximum nose load is 100kgs. RR are massive beasts and should easily cope with 100kgs. Some RR had air suspension. Maybe source all the parts from a breakers and do a retro fit?
I assume your current suspension is in good order?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I assume you are talking about a caravan with an Al-ko hitch? Your RR presumably has an Al-ko extended tow ball . Their maximum nose load is 100kgs. RR are massive beasts and should easily cope with 100kgs. Some RR had air suspension. Maybe source all the parts from a breakers and do a retro fit?
I assume your current suspension is in good order?

They are referring to the Evoque which is smaller than our Jeep and not exactly a massive beast.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suppose the obvious question is why? it’s a Range Rover and based on the Freelander 2 a good towing vehicle. Do you have a problem when towing?

I have used MAD spring as sisters on two cars but they were quite soft at the back end with long overhangs. The MAD assisters did work okay and didn’t affect the cars solo ride.

ps welcome to the Forum

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Provided the trailer you are attempting to tow is within the tow vehicles specifications, there should be no need to consider any change to the standard set up. (edit) And if it's not within specifications you shouldn't be towing it!

Of all the possible tow vehicles, Range rovers are some of the least likely to need to have any sort of spring assisters. There should never be a need to have spring assisters fitted to any tow vehicle.

For some tow vehicles especially those with self leveling or trailer stability systems, the tow vehicle often have a suite of position sensors which inform the stability systems. If you change the spring rate, the sensors will no longer provide the correct feedback to the system which may adversely change the corrective safety interventions the system makes.

Generally if a tow vehicle is "bottoming or sagging" when towing, the most likely reason is either overloading, or some wear or failure of suspension systems.

Obviously it's also essential to ensure the trailer is correctly loaded for safety and to produce the correct noseload, and that both the trailer and tow vehicle have been properly maintained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would just like to add that spring assisters should never be fitted as a prophylactic measure, but only if adverse conditions resulting in the springs bottoming out are experienced, despite the axle loads being within plated limits.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I used MAD assisters (donuts), years ago and they worked well. But I think they are out of date now. Notwithstanding what the Prof said re sensors. I would not dismiss the idea.

I used to have a Peugeot 4007 (Mitsibushi Outlander). Which should have been a great tow car, low overhang 7 seater 4x4. But it bounced all the time.

It had low profile 19 inch tyres and I changed them to 16 inch standard. Which helped. But I then updated to MAD progressive springs. These might be the thing to look at if there really is an issue. They really made a big improvement.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Spring assisters don't reduce the bounce. They can't because they have no damping properties. All they can do regarding ride is to raise the bounce frequency and reduce the amplitude of the bounce, thus resulting in a harsher ride. Whether this is perceived as more comfortable or not is up to personal preference.

Reactions: figbat
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used MAD assisters (donuts), years ago and they worked well. But I think they are out of date now. Notwithstanding what the Prof said re sensors. I would not dismiss the idea.

I used to have a Peugeot 4007 (Mitsibushi Outlander). Which should have been a great tow car, low overhang 7 seater 4x4. But it bounced all the time.

It had low profile 19 inch tyres and I changed them to 16 inch standard. Which helped. But I then updated to MAD progressive springs. These might be the thing to look at if there really is an issue. They really made a big improvement.

John
On my two cars that I fitted MAD products they were the spring assisters as progressive springs would have been preferred but were not made for the cars. But I would never fit the donuts.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Evoque has a tow ball limit of 150kg, a 2000Kg towing limit and some very beefy rear suspension.

Can't imagine why you would need spring assistors. Probably to its detriment.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Welcome to the forum someone on here will answer your question not me sorry i am only here to give you support enjoy
I think the question has already been answered but the OP has not responded or given any reason why they would want to put spring assisters on a Range Rover Evoque.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Spring assisters don't reduce the bounce. They can't because they have no damping properties. All they can do regarding ride is to raise the bounce frequency and reduce the amplitude of the bounce, thus resulting in a harsher ride. Whether this is perceived as more comfortable or not is up to personal preference.

That makes sense but not my experience in the real world example I gave.

First, moving from 19 inch low profile to bouncy 16 inch would be detrimental. But not so. A much smoother tow.

The Madd springs are progressive. And capable of greater loads than the original. So the resulting tail wagging the dog is greatly reduced. My Volvo is well behaved and I have no need of them, but that Peugeot 4x4 surprisingly did. They are a solution for some.

From Madd.

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in the dark ages I used these. They stiffened the back end admirably. Then whilst towing one spring fractured. These stiffeners in effect applied an overload to the free part of the spring causing premature failure.
I can see the benefit of the MADDs but never needed them ..There are various shock absorber upgrades which may give a better stiffening result. Eg some of the simple self levelling ones. Modern cars have so many electronic control systems I’d like to know how they are affected by such modifications ?

Attachments

• B1E871C5-C305-4976-8A87-25DEDC570187.jpeg
    B1E871C5-C305-4976-8A87-25DEDC570187.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MAD do three different spring types. There are just straight replacement for the OEM, spring assister springs that work in parallel with OEM springs or reinforced versions of the OEM spring. On my SAAB and Superb I fitted spring assister springs. When the rear spring of my Subaru broke I looked at MAD but they don’t supply combined spring-damper units, so I opted for Pedders spring-damper and did away with the Subaru OEM units where the self levelling comes from the damper which then takes a part of the suspension load.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Back in the dark ages I used these. They stiffened the back end admirably. Then whilst towing one spring fractured. These stiffeners in effect applied an overload to the free part of the spring causing premature failure.
I can see the benefit of the MADDs but never needed them ..There are various shock absorber upgrades which may give a better stiffening result. Eg some of the simple self levelling ones. Modern cars have so many electronic control systems I’d like to know how they are affected by such modifications ?

I agree, but the shock absorbers upgrade are very expensive. Much more so than the Mad springs. Self leveling shockers are really good though.

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
MAD do three different spring types. There are just straight replacement for the OEM, spring assister springs that work in parallel with OEM springs or reinforced versions of the OEM spring. On my SAAB and Superb I fitted spring assister springs. When the rear spring of my Subaru broke I looked at MAD but they don’t supply combined spring-damper units, so I opted for Pedders spring-damper and did away with the Subaru OEM units where the self levelling comes from the damper which then takes a part of the suspension load.
One here for Hutch when he needs new springs. Your Pedders clearly beat the OEM.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One here for Hutch when he needs new springs. Your Pedders clearly beat the OEM.
I have used Pedders on my off road Pajero and more recently on the Subaru. Hutch would need to check if the Pedders for a Santa Fe retain the self levelling function as those for the Subaru didn’t. But the cars ride and handling has improved and last week with four in the car and 90 kg of luggage in the back it drove absolutely fine. My headlights still retain their auto levelling function as that gets its input from a transducer not affected by my change.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have used Pedders on my off road Pajero and more recently on the Subaru. Hutch would need to check if the Pedders for a Santa Fe retain the self levelling function as those for the Subaru didn’t. But the cars ride and handling has improved and last week with four in the car and 90 kg of luggage in the back it drove absolutely fine. My headlights still retain their auto levelling function as that gets its input from a transducer not affected by my change.

Reading it I don't think they do. It suggests that the Santa Fe SL fails. Not something I was aware of. I once has a Scorpio estate with SL shockers. The engine was rubbish, but the rear suspension was fantastic.

My only other experience have been hydrolastic. Which made fantastic tow cars. A BX and an XM.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reading it I don't think they do. It suggests that the Santa Fe SL fails. Not something I was aware of. I once has a Scorpio estate with SL shockers. The engine was rubbish, but the rear suspension was fantastic.

My only other experience have been hydrolastic. Which made fantastic tow cars. A BX and an XM.

John
My Sorento Mk 1 had Sach self levelling spring dampers and they had a good reputation for reliability. Unfortunately Subaru had a number of failures and were widely reported on True Delta. My choice was influenced by availability of OEM, units and price.. Since I had had good experience using Pedders off roading i decided to fit them to the Subaru, and my decision has been validated in a cost saving, availability and performance.

PS I actually don’t think Hutch has a problem. But nice if the OP came back and advised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts